JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings,

I have to humbly (and embarrassingly) ask where the best place to learn to Zero an AR is. I have nice iron sights and a hologram with zero magnification. I believe that I will be getting a scope this Christmas. Is anyone in the Portland area (Tri County Gun Club) that can show me in person. I would be willing to tip the teacher but I need to share that I don't have a ton of money to offer. I would do the utube thing or other internet sites, but I'm a do it to learn it type of guy. Thank you in advance for your time.

Best thing would be to start off with bore sighting it after you mount your optic. That should be easy to do with an AR by separating the upper from the lower. Any Google search on bore sighting should give you an idea how to do this.

After you bore sight it it's time for a trip to the range to get your zero dialed in. Start off at shorter distances (25/50 yards) then move out to 100 yards.

If you get your optic for X-mas and have time next week give me a PM. I can take you to Tri-County as a guest.

You can down load the ARMY field manual section on sighting and setting zero for the M-16/M-4 rifle! That gets you pretty darn close. After a bore site on your optic, just follow your irons with your optic and you will be good to go! The Army manual is stupid simple and is actually one of the best ways to do this right. You can also down load the ARMY sight in targets and that makes it ever easier! Have fun!

I would take jc79 up on his offer. You want to learn, no better way then learning from someone who has done it. Nice post Christmas present jc79.

The quickest way I have found is to bench the rifle secure, fire one shot at 25 yards. Re-position the point of aim to the shot just taken, then, with the rifle secure in the original position, adjust the sights so they align with the point of impact. One can usually have the scope or iron sights zeroed in three shots. After that it is just slight adjustments for windage and elevation at the desired distance.

That is also a really simple and easy way to do it! If the optic will "co witness" with the irons, even easier. just get the irons on, and adjust the optic to the same point of aim! From there you can make any adjustments to the optic for range!

The quickest way I have found is to bench the rifle secure, fire one shot at 25 yards. Re-position the point of aim to the shot just taken, then, with the rifle secure in the original position, adjust the sights so they align with the point of impact. One can usually have the scope or iron sights zeroed in three shots. After that it is just slight adjustments for windage and elevation at the desired distance.
This works great "IF" you have something like a lead sled to hold the rifle solid whilst turning the turrets.I tried to help a friend and he just had to push on the gun:confused:
I do the 'sight thru the bore and then the scope' method. Then I go to 25 yards with a big target to see where I am.I did do the "point of aim to point of impact' method last time and it worked perfect.But usually you need a sled or someone to hold the gun steady,especially if the turrets don't turn easy.(cheapo scopes)
But starting at 25 yards with a big target saves boolits and time.Then go to 100 and then to what ever you want to be zeroed at.

This works great "IF" you have something like a lead sled to hold the rifle solid whilst turning the turrets.I tried to help a friend and he just had to push on the gun:confused:
I do the 'sight thru the bore and then the scope' method. Then I go to 25 yards with a big target to see where I am.I did do the "point of aim to point of impact' method last time and it worked perfect.But usually you need a sled or someone to hold the gun steady,especially if the turrets don't turn easy.(cheapo scopes)
But starting at 25 yards with a big target saves boolits and time.Then go to 100 and then to what ever you want to be zeroed at.

or if you have a shepards scope take one shot move the first set of cross hairs to the point of impact while keeping the main cross hairs set at the bullseye , confirm everything is where it need to be then move the second set of cross hairs to match the first then bam your zeroed .

or if you have a shepards scope take one shot move the first set of cross hairs to the point of impact while keeping the main cross hairs set at the bullseye , confirm everything is where it need to be then move the second set of cross hairs to match the first then bam your zeroed .
They had one of those in the shop in Sequim for about 5 years.Never saw any interest in it so I never bought it either.It finally went to a RMEF action.

Thank you to everyone that has responded! I have a couple of setups that I'll be trying all of your suggestions on, (I know it sounds stupid, especially knowing about my experience but I walked into a deal that could not have been left alone). For Christmas I received an AR 10/SR 25 that I absolutely love to shoot. I've visited some sites and UTube videos and applied the some of the recommendations with beneficial results. I have used more of your recommendations than the internet's and I want you all to know that, although late, I appreciate your time. My next step is to check out the class that was suggested. I want to do the opposite of how I learned to golf, I'd like to get proper training BEFORE I need to forget any bad habits.

I also thought I'd check to see if anyone at TCGC is available for training purposes.

Thank you again,

TK

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top