Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Learning to appreciate plastic?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PlayboyPenguin, Nov 11, 2009.

1. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Is anyone else out there making the same change in thinking that I have been making?

I started out as a lover of all steel guns. I would only buy all steel and would only carry all steel. Stainless steel in my case. I would never consider even a blued gun, much less a polymer framed gun.

After a while I ventured into the land of aluminum frames, but that did not please me. I ended up trading off or selling almost every aluminum frame gun I bought (except for my Beretta 92FSc and my Rohrbaugh). I found that aluminum was prone to finish wear/marring and you could not really clean it up yourself without damaging the material.

I then took baby steps towards polymer frames. I bought an H&K P2000SK first. I ended up selling it but it opened the door. I later bought an XD-9SC, which I also sold. A Walther PPS also came and went. Then several Glocks came around. I kept a few of them but I do not carry them. They are assigned specific duties around the house and work (IE: safe gun, glove box gun, etc). I was having a hard time liking the polymer frames and blued/black slides. Then I found Kahr's CW9. I liked the combination of the polymer frame and stainless slide. After owning it for a week or so I bought the PM9 to go with it. Then I bought an H&K USPc with a stainless slide. After awhile I upgraded my PM9 for a PM40. Then I went back tto the XD line and bought the XD-40SC. This time with the stainless slide.

It took me awhile but I have really learned to love how easily the lighter polymer guns carry. All it took was that added touch of a stainless slide and I was able to overcome my dislike of them. Now my carry rotation consists of two polymer framed guns (XD-40SC and Kahr PM40). I still love my all stainless guns (I have a safe full that I love to shoot, sometimes carry, and plan to pass down to family some day), but as far as CC goes I believe polymer has way too many advantages to ignore.

Bad cell phone pic...
    EDCrotation.jpg

PM-40 in stow-n-go holster...
    PM40carry.jpg

XD-40SC (w/finger extension) in stow-n-go hoster...
    XDcarry.jpg

2. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Hillsboro Active Member

i agree love me some plastic guns.............

3. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

The only polymer gun I ever had was a Glock 27 for a short time. Ended up selling it. Nothing wrong at all with the pistol, it just never felt right to me. That being said, I have handled the XD's and came real close to buying one once. Eventually I want to have one. It fit my hand better than the Glock.