1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Learning the trade.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Hollow, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Hollow

Hollow Portland, Oregon New Member

I have always been interested in guns since the age of about 10 when i got my first .22. Since then i have been shooting guns and doing little repairs for friends and family members and lately i have been wanting to get more involved and expand into possibly making this a career. I'm really looking for some advice on where would be a good place to start such as books, videos, good people to contact and talk to about it and possibly shops in the portland metro area and surrounding areas that might offer apprenticeships to people who want to get their foot in the door. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks everyone
  2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Learn to machine at a local CC, take some welding classes. Eventually, go to a school. Trinidad Jr. College, Colorado School of Trades, Yavapai Community College. All have their strong points. Lassen Community College in Susanville, CA also has a program, but cannot in good conscious recommend a school that would require being in California. Unfortunately, not a whole lot of shops around allow apprentices. In my opinion, avoid the mail-order video programs like AGI. I know there are some people who swear by them, but in my opinion, they aren't worth the money.
  3. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

NWCustomFirearms Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

I graduated the Colorado School of Trades, PM sent