JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys -

I use a Hornady single stage press, and my Sis came to me because she is looking to get her husband into reloading again. He used to reload years ago with his Dad, and he and I have reloaded on my press. He shoots a ton of .45ACP and 7.62x39. So, my Sis and I are thinking about a Dillon 650 with all the things he needs to get loading both cartridges.

I have never bought a Dillon, but know the 650 has auto indexing, and if I were to buy one, it'd be the one I would buy. So, what should I help her line out for the Christmas purchase? Of course the press, but is there anything that we really should get or shouldn't get along with it? He already has case prep gear - so we are just talking about Press and press accessories. :s0155:

Thanks guys -

Bobby

I was shocked, too... what's more, I told her to get $1200 budgeted, and she didn't bat an eye! She told me to let her know so she can get it ordered. She must really love this guy!

I figured I would prioritize the list for her, and help her get it, then help him set it up and get it going. I appreciate the help guys...

The press will come standard with 1 caliber conversion of your choice. The automatic case feeder is an essential add on, with the appropriate case feed plate for your caliber of choice. The strong mount is a good thing. The roller handle is sorta,kinda, maybe, but you can always add it on later. If you're gonna load other calibers, a conversion will be needed for each and a "quick change" is real nice for each of 'em. You'll never be sorry you went with Dillon, they are the best company on earth with customer service.
Remember, neither the 550, 650 or 1050 comes standard with dies. Your regular dies you've already got will work, but I really like the Dillon dies, the empty cases seem to feed much smoother into their sizer die than other makes.

Hey Bobby
That's great news for your brother-in-law . Tell your sister that she has my vote for wife of the year.LOL
That's funny you posted about Dillon 650 cause I was looking at them as well. Either the 650 or the Benelli super black eagle 2 shotgun, life is very tough these days.
Make sure when he gets it up and running he has a reloading party to show off his new toy.........Rodney

650's are nice but switching calibers is a bit of work compared to the 550. If you're learning blue the 550s are the work horses of the Dillon line and great to start with (you will never sell it). I just bought my 2nd 550 from mgd (he stocks Dillon loaders and is in Milwaukie). $540 press and 1 caliber with strong mount.

I was thinking of a 650 cause I shoot a lot of 38 for Cowboy action. I could have justified it because of how much I load and it would never change calibers. The 550 would load everything else since it's easy to switch over.

Go to Dillon Precision Reloading Press Reviews

Read about the differences before you go buy. Then PM mgd, he'll make you a good deal.

The press will come standard with 1 caliber conversion of your choice. The automatic case feeder is an essential add on, with the appropriate case feed plate for your caliber of choice. The strong mount is a good thing. The roller handle is sorta,kinda, maybe, but you can always add it on later. If you're gonna load other calibers, a conversion will be needed for each and a "quick change" is real nice for each of 'em. You'll never be sorry you went with Dillon, they are the best company on earth with customer service.
Remember, neither the 550, 650 or 1050 comes standard with dies. Your regular dies you've already got will work, but I really like the Dillon dies, the empty cases seem to feed much smoother into their sizer die than other makes.

Mike got it right. I have the 650 and love it. Strong mount, bullet tray and powder check make it really slick and easy to use. The complete quick change kits will save about 30 minutes and a ton of frustration when you change calibres. It is about $200 per calibre but worth it n my opinion. Be prepared with lots of supplies! At 600-800 rounds in an hour it gets it done. Enjoy!

Have her give Brian Enos a call at 1 877 219-5598. All she needs to know is what calibers and Brian will tell her exactly what she needs. Won't oversell, in fact, he will even tell her what won't be needed although Dillon will push those items.

If she wants to buy it from Brian a Dillon 650 and Casefeeder will get free shipping and also, NO SALES TAX.

Brian is one of the best resources that a Dillon user can have, especially when buying a new press. Dillon themselves is the "go to" for operational or warranty issues but to buy, Brian's the man.

I got a better deal thru mgd in Milwaulkie. No Tax, No shipping, and he's local.

Trajectory Reloading 503.367.7313

My suggestion to call Brian Enos was more for his knowledge rather than his prices. Unlike many Dealers, he knows the Dillon line inside and out and won't hesitate to tell you what you really need and what you don't. He's also good for advice on how to save money on quick caliber changes. Best one is how to use one powder measure with a bunch of tool head setups and not add more than a minute to the changeover. At $100 or so for the powder dispenser, that's a sizable savings over just buying the QC setup from Dillon (or what most dealers will offer).

Lots of people just use his website or call him to put together their shopping list then shop their local Dealers.

I have a 550,my neighbor has a 650.Mine makes ammo pert near as fast as his does.,and...
changover is less costly and easier to do,intial outlay is less.Flipping the flipper can be done while reaching for a piece of brass
.A 550 can easily do several hundred rounds per hour ,WAY more than a single stage,so you're gonna be miles ahead even if u buy 'just' a 550.
roller handle not needed,I would not buy one again.
strong mounts not needed on a tall,sturdy bench.

just my .02 cents .

Each model up on the presses get you economy of motion at the expense of cost. The 550 is a great press, but you insert the case and rotate the shell plate manually . The 650 gets you the case feeder option and auto index. The 1050 adds the priming (without the added extra step of pushing on the handle) and swaging features. More money will add a bullet feeder and auto handle crank too if you like.

I had the 550 first as it fits my budget. It did everything I needed, but as time went on I needed increased production. I first got another 550 and then started to keep an eye out for used presses and started to find them every now and then and upgraded as I went along to where I am now.

It used to be a lot easier to find deals on used presses. Nowadays every Dillon I see sold goes for 80% of a new one. I have been lucky enough to get some screaming deals on some presses and at my peak had 2 650 presses and a 550. I then got a great deal on a 1050 with 2 extra caliber setups. I decided to keep the 1050 and sell off the 2 650 presses. I load 9mm, 38 Special, and 45 acp on the 1050 and pretty much everything else on the 550.

I got a better deal thru mgd in Milwaulkie. No Tax, No shipping, and he's local.

Trajectory Reloading 503.367.7313

+1

mgd also stocks A LOT of Dillon so you can pick it up when you pay plus see and touch before you buy. I have yet to see a local Dillon dealer that carries as much inventory as he does. You can also see him at the next gun show at PDX next weekend where he will have 550's, 650's, and a whole bunch of other items and can explain just like Brian what you do and do not need, why it's nice to have certain things depending on how much you want to spend, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top