JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My beautiful wife got me a Douglas Rifle Ridge membership for Christmas, and I really want to do a 3gun match.

I was reading on DRRC's website and FMJ bullets can not be used, shooters must use lead cast or JHP.

I have found .40 155 SWC online, but I have a couple questions...
1) is there any other requirements/tools/equipment needed to handload lead cast bullets?
2) any special techniques to handloading lead cast?
3) are these safe to use in my M&P 40?
4) would JHP be better to use in 3gun or my gun? the cost of lead cast is more affordable.

Thanks for your help, I am hoping to watch a couple before is shoot in my first 3gun.

I have for a long time loaded cast bullets exclusively for a variety of calibers. While there are no special techniques to loading cast there ARE considerations that need to be understood when loading cast. Bullet hardness and velocity are two that will dictate the data you will use. Loading cast simply involves a little more study as data will be considerably different than with jacketed bullets but a little manual time will bring you up to 'speed' in the world of loading cast bullets. A good forum dedicated to the loading of cast is castboolits.com.

Any one have any idea why they would ban FMJ? I don't like FMJ-RN, but can't see them being any harder on a backstop.
Lead bullets: the lead bullet should be at least 0.001" larger than the actual groove diameter of the barrel. Slug you barrel.
In my .40s, 145-155 grain L-SWCs are the most accurate. All commercial bullets that I can find in .40 are too hard, but perform well. Penn 155gn L-SWCs are excellent. Power Pistol, Silhouette, and AA5 will be probably be the best for accuracy.
If you can afford JHP, I would recommend you try Montana Gold 155 grain JHPs. I would also look for Zero Bullets, but they are hard to find.

Generally the bullet you're looking for to use with .40 is Round nose flat point. Magma lists a 10-140FP BB that would be suitable, or the 10-180-FP-BB. These bullets maintain the standard shoulder-less SWC configuration which should feed better. FYI, Magma engineering makes most of the commercial casting machines out there, as a consequence they also provide molds for most bullets out there. If you look at their site: http://www.magmaengineering.com/magma-custom-bullet-molds/

This will tell you what profiles they offer, at that point it's just a matter of finding someone who makes those bullets.
That said, if you're going to be buying bullets, unless the cost is significantly lower, I would recommend berry's plated bullets for a lower cost alternative, still using a copper plate. I would not recommend X-treme, as in the past I've had major issues with their bullets stripping, and tumbling even with moderate loads. You might also try Rainier ballistics, however I think they have a 25k piece minimum order.

My beautiful wife got me a Douglas Rifle Ridge membership for Christmas, and I really want to do a 3gun match.
I was reading on DRRC's website and FMJ bullets can not be used, shooters must use lead cast or JHP.
Thanks for your help, I am hoping to watch a couple before is shoot in my first 3gun.
I shoot 3-Gun at DRRC.
I emailed the question to the DRRC 3-Gun Director.
Will post his response when it comes in.

The 3-Gun Match Director responded:
"I asked to have that line removed, but ...
No worries, FMJ's are ok, targets have upgraded steel to accommodate this type of Ammo,
Steel core,tracers, penetrators and Buckshot are still Prohibited.
Markus"

If you have access to a bucket of wheel weight, you can cast your own. I'm using the Lee six cavity molds then just use the liquid tumble lube,and spread the lubed bullets out on waxed paper overnight. The 9mm 120 grain tc and the 40sw 180 tc both are sweet shooting in my glock full size guns.
After the shells are loaded, I usually toss them in the bullet tumbler with some old media, this lightly coats the sticky tumble lube so the hands don't get sticky at the range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top