JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

Lead Ammunition in Jeopardy in Washington State!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Please Stand-Up and Make Your Voice Heard!
The lead ammunition you use for hunting as well as target and competitive shooting will be banned from purchase, use and ownership in the state of Washington if the state's Department of Ecology has its way. Lead ammunition is a target of a series of recommendations in the "Lead Chemical Action Plan" prepared by the Department of Ecology.

The plan is open for public comment until Monday, October 6. The plan and information about submitting comments are available at: <broken link removed> .

Lead shot has been banned in waterfowl hunting. Most recently, California passed a law that prohibits hunters from using lead ammunition in areas within the range of the California condor. A symposium was held in June in Boise, Idaho about the effects of lead ammunition on wildlife and humans. Most of the speakers supported a ban on lead ammunition, regardless of the cost, performance, and availability of substitutes. The Department of Ecology plan is yet another effort to remove lead ammunition nationwide.

Please take the time to submit comments to the Department of Ecology and to Governor Chris Gregoire (D). Let the Governor know that there is no adequate substitute for lead ammunition and that any affects on humans and wildlife do not justify a ban as recommended by her Department of Ecology. Governor Gregoire can be reached by phone at (360) 902-4111, by fax at (360) 753-4110, or click here to send email. The Governor can also be reached by U.S. Mail at: Governor Chris Gregoire, Office of the Governor, P.O. Box 40002, Olympia, WA 98504-0002.

Most of the speakers supported a ban on lead ammunition, regardless of the cost, performance, and availability of substitutes.
And just what would those "substitutes" be made of? I believe the supporters of this ban should provide the alternative prior to their ban of lead - after all they are the ones wanting it replaced and the burden of substitution should lie on them! Are the alternative energy proponents attempting to ban oil prior to finding an alternative? No! They are looking for the alternatives as a possible eventual replacement for oil but they are certainly not trying to ban it. Sorry gang, this is another left-handed attempt to curb firearm usage.

If you plan to write the Dept of Ecology or Gov Gregoire or anyone else for that matter, please cheque yur godadmn speling an gramer so yu don look lik a frign reetard! Gun owners are already seen as uneducated, redneck, backwoods hicks. Please don't send in an email or letter that reinforces this perception.

I dont understand how they can determine that the negative effects of lead from ammunition, and focus on JUST ammunition when fisherman and tire shops use way more lead than whats being "shot" around Washington state?!?? I bet if Fisherman in this state were being targeted, and said "nope.. ya cant use lead for fishing", there would be a HUGE issue, or if all the tire shops in this state were told "nope.. no more balancing tires".. Come on.. this is just plain ridiculous. I cant wait till Rossi is back in office!

I dont understand how they can determine that the negative effects of lead from ammunition, and focus on JUST ammunition when fisherman and tire shops use way more lead than whats being "shot" around Washington state?!?? I bet if Fisherman in this state were being targeted, and said "nope.. ya cant use lead for fishing", there would be a HUGE issue, or if all the tire shops in this state were told "nope.. no more balancing tires".. Come on.. this is just plain ridiculous. I cant wait till Rossi is back in office!

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Then again, I am also one of those fishermen. I must have deposited a few hundred pounds of pencil lead weight in most of the rivers around here from break offs and snags.

I've also owned my share of cars. Doesn't seem reasonable considering %100 of my bullets, are in the berms and backstops of my clubs.

Got this reply today,

Thank you for sending in your comments on the Draft Lead CAP. Ecology is not proposing a ban on lead ammunition in the Draft Lead CAP. We would like to work with hunters and shooters to promote non-toxic alternatives to lead without negatively affecting hunting or shooting areas. There was a discussion about lead ammo and we considered a wide variety of options for the many sources of lead. After considering all the options, we decided to recommend working with stakeholders on voluntary steps.

Please take a look at the focus sheet we prepared about lead ammunition and the Draft Lead CAP. I've attached the fact sheet to this email or you can access it at:

<broken link removed>

Sincerely,

Holly Davies, PhD

Chemical Action Plan Developer

SWFAP/ Industrial

WA Department of Ecology

PO Box 47600

Olympia, WA 98504-7600

Phone: 360.407.7398

Fax: 360.407.6102

Not really sure what he is saying ?????

I find it absolutely ridiculous, that they are basing one of their findings as a "lead poisoned area" to be the ONLY legal shooting area in the Capital Forest. They went to the gravel pit, and took a sample. OF COURSE THERE IS LEAD THERE... It’s the only place anyone can legally shoot!?!?!? That’s like going to a Nordstroms and saying.. "Hey.. they have clothes on sale here"..DUH.. Come on. Why don’t they go test the Nisqually River for lead???? I can tell you this; I personally have lost at least 5 lbs of lead in snags over the last few years. And that’s just me. You can sit down there.. anywhere people are fishing, and wait 30 minutes, and you will see folks lose their gear. The tv/computer monitors, the tire weights, the list goes on and on. There are many more sources of lead, and the "lead ban" is already in place for hunting birds, so now its time for them to go after the BIG sources of lead and start targeting those. I have a feeling they won’t; because there is way more Democrats that fish than hunt.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top