JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On another note: I'm still having THE SAME PROBLEM with the MAX that I HAD WITH BOTH OF MY LCP IIs.

Wondering if any of you other MAX owners are experiencing the same thing?

When the brass is extracted it significantly dents the case mouth. Not sometimes - every time.

Because I reload 380, this is a pain the back side. You'd think Ruger would fix the problem (it is a known problem) with a new LCP II design. But Nope!

I contacted Ruger about the MAX denting the cases, and they say it is normal and there is nothing wrong with the weapon. Here is an except from the email response they sent to me regarding my description of the problem and my request for the firearm to be corrected:

"Here is the information you asked for. I hope you have a wonderful day and thank you for your patience!
Seeing some distortion of the brass at the case mouth is completely normal and is pretty common with semi-auto firearms. Brass at room temperature is a soft metal, and when it is extracted and ejected it is also hot which makes it even softer. During ejection it is not uncommon for the cartridge to contact some part of the slide while rotating/spinning out of the gun. That contact will often "dent" the case mouth of the cartridge (picture below). This cannot be tuned or corrected and is not considered a problem with the gun."

I ran into a MAX owner at the range a couple of months ago and asked him about it and he said his MAX does NOT dent his case mouths. Go Figure!!!:confused:

Of the over 100 different semi-auto pistols I've owned in my life-time, I've run across this only a couple of times other than both of my LCP II's and my LCP MAX.
See if you can find someone with a high-speed camera to video the ejection cycle. I suspect that the cartridge mouth is hitting a part of the pistol as it ejects. If the case is spinning end-to-end as it ejects, the case mouth is very vulnerable to this sort of damage.

If another pistol of the same type doesn't have this problem, it could just be something like the position of the ejector. This may be made critical by the power of the ammunition, so try your pistol with his type of ammunition.

If the problem is ammo related, and you don't like the ammo that works, you will have to determine what to change on your pistol. Springs are the first thing that comes to mind, but the timing of the ejection is also critical.

On another note: I'm still having THE SAME PROBLEM with the MAX that I HAD WITH BOTH OF MY LCP IIs.

Wondering if any of you other MAX owners are experiencing the same thing?

When the brass is extracted it significantly dents the case mouth. Not sometimes - every time.

Because I reload 380, this is a pain the back side. You'd think Ruger would fix the problem (it is a known problem) with a new LCP II design. But Nope!

I contacted Ruger about the MAX denting the cases, and they say it is normal and there is nothing wrong with the weapon. Here is an except from the email response they sent to me regarding my description of the problem and my request for the firearm to be corrected:

"Here is the information you asked for. I hope you have a wonderful day and thank you for your patience!
Seeing some distortion of the brass at the case mouth is completely normal and is pretty common with semi-auto firearms. Brass at room temperature is a soft metal, and when it is extracted and ejected it is also hot which makes it even softer. During ejection it is not uncommon for the cartridge to contact some part of the slide while rotating/spinning out of the gun. That contact will often "dent" the case mouth of the cartridge (picture below). This cannot be tuned or corrected and is not considered a problem with the gun."

I ran into a MAX owner at the range a couple of months ago and asked him about it and he said his MAX does NOT dent his case mouths. Go Figure!!!:confused:

Of the over 100 different semi-auto pistols I've owned in my life-time, I've run across this only a couple of times other than both of my LCP II's and my LCP MAX.
I just took my new LCP Max to the range yesterday for the first time and experienced the same denting/gouging of the brass that you experience. I don't reload but I can understand how this slight imperfection in your gun can be irritating. FWIW, I found a fix for it on Youtube that looks easy enough to do.

@Daddy0 THANKS HUGELY for the post of the vid.

I may have to try this out because the denting on my casings is SIGNIFICANT.

And it's not like this is a super expensive piece that I wouldn't want to void the warranty on (because that's what will happen if I make this alteration).

But wait - technically, Ruger does NOT provide a WRITTEN warranty with their firearms due to the complications of the Magnuson-Moss Act (so they explain in their firearms manuals).

And THAT is probably why they can get away with NOT fixing this problem in the first place, but instead saying that it is a common issue in many firearms and it is NOT a malfunction or problem with the manufacturing.

I own many Ruger firearms and am happy with them for the most part - but this is the one thing about Ruger that really sticks in my craw.

Anyway, thanks @Daddy0

About to switch from my NAA Guardian to this and am wondering on the pocket holster options out there
Hiya Red,

I picked up the Sticky Holster SM-2 for my LCP Max and I couldn't be happier. As an EDC pocket holster, it's a nice snug fit and fits the front pocket of my jeans or my sweatpants and prints like a wallet. Drawing the pistol from my pocket is easy as the closed cell neoprene material its constructed with adheres to the inside of the pocket. I like it better than the similar holster that came in the box with the gun.

Sticky Holster.jpg

I've been through many carry pistols over the years from a little Kahr P380 on up. I spend a fair amount of time in the woods and had an uncomfortable bow hunt one year in an area absolutely packed with cougars. After that I decided to pick up a S&W 360PD (scandium J-frame .357) for a woods sidearm and it quickly took over as my EDC piece.

Sure, it's a bit of a bone crusher at the range and will make you bleed a little from time to time. BUT it's WAY more accurate than it has any right to be, is super light, conceals easily in anything and nothing feels better than having 5rds of .357 mag on tap.

Last Edited:
I like the review. Not a professional reviewer, not a corporate shill. Looks pretty honest.

Points out the pros as well as cons.

Well done. LCP Maxx is on my buy list now.

My hesitation on buying a LCP Max is that I currently do not own anything in .380 acp and I am not sure I want to add a new caliber to purchase ammo / reload / practice for.
I think the combination of small size to fit a front pocket in all types of clothing, capacity and .380 at close range against a human is a sufficient round, makes for a great carry option if you don't like wearing a holster all day.
I think other manufacturers will soon follow Ruger's lead and offer similar products.
Is it an ideal carry weapon ? No..
Just depends on what priorities and tradeoffs each person is willing to accept.

the LCP Max is one of my two carry guns. I was glad they brought back the robust sights. I want to carry the extended mag but I haven't yet had time to test it so I have to use the shorter one for the time being.

Last edited by a moderator:
the LCP Max is one of my two carry guns. I was glad they brought back the robust sights. I want to carry the extended mag but I haven't yet had time to test it so I have to use the shorter one for the time being. #FDT
Yeabut what's with the f Donald Trump hashtag?

Sorry, is that not permitted? I see references to "Brandon" here and I see politics inserted to posts all the time, including your past posts in this forum, so I assumed politics are okay. My apologies if not.
Please review the forum rules. Yes, some political content is present either by some relevance or simply the fact that us moderators don't catch it all nor can we keep up at times.

Your hashtag has ZERO relevance to anything being discussed and is merely to cause division. It has been removed from your posts.

I have had the Max for about 4 months now with the 12 round mags and have been pretty happy with it. For me this is a situational carry gun when I need a pocket gun per se. It shot very well for me, tho I will never shoot it very much. 90% of the time a Hellcat resides on my side but the Max is a keeper. The 12 round mags make it worth it to me as the older days of 6 rounds or so is a turnoff as I am all about capacity these days.