JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know what the laws are in rural Marion County for shooting on your own property? I have been looking, but have not found much useful info. Please assume that I will be doing it in a safe manner. I am just concerned with what laws to be aware of other than the noise ordinances of course.

Here's a good place to start your search: http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.220

A person commits the crime of unlawful use of a weapon if the person b)Intentionally discharges a firearm, blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow or explosive device within the city limits of any city or within residential areas within urban growth boundaries at or in the direction of any person, building, structure or vehicle within the range of the weapon without having legal authority for such discharge.

A person commits the crime of unlawful use of a weapon if the person b)Intentionally discharges a firearm, blowgun, bow and arrow, crossbow or explosive device within the city limits of any city or within residential areas within urban growth boundaries at or in the direction of any person, building, structure or vehicle within the range of the weapon without having legal authority for such discharge.

I am aware of this one, but the whole "within the range" thing is not very specific. I mean a lot of things are withing the range of a .223. Over a mile for sure.

That information is from Marion County Arkansas. The way my property is situated, I have a huge hillside behind my house that is three time higher than the berm at my gun club for sure. My thoughts were that shooting that direction would be safe, but safe and legal are not always the same thing.

Does anyone know what the laws are in rural Marion County for shooting on your own property? I have been looking, but have not found much useful info. Please assume that I will be doing it in a safe manner. I am just concerned with what laws to be aware of other than the noise ordinances of course.
assuming its legal to shoot on your property (city limits etc.) then as far as I know there are no other laws other than general safety issues. Outside of city limits, target shooting laws are regulated by the type of land use.... BLM, Nat Forest and State forest... each have laws governing safe target shooting. Since your land is private, Im not certain if all of those laws would apply... like shooting at cans is usually illegal on public lands.

Maybe this would be a good place to look:

Marion County Code Chapter 8.45, "NOISE"

It sounds like it's okay as long as you're making periodic noises during the daylight hours. It seems to me that the county code doesn't regulate shooting except in three places:

17.138 and 17.139 say that a youth camp can include a shooting range, and 12.05 says that you can't bring a gun into a county park without a concealed carry permit, and can't shoot into a county park.

Here in Clatsop County, noise control falls under the health and safety ordinance. You can't shoot within 1000 feet of a building that's not yours, if it annoys the occupants. But you can shoot if you are "A landowner and guests of the landowner discharging a firearm, when the discharge will not endanger adjacent persons or property." I hear my neighbors exercising their Second Amendment rights all the time, and it just makes me smile. That's the sound of freedom!

The thought crossed my mind, but they are not always up on the law about these things especially about codes vs laws. I am likely to get someone's opinion, which provides me zero protection if a complaint is filed.
very wise.

I might suggest looking up any laws for the county you live in. For example in my county I learned we have "restricted shooting districts" although it didnt really apply to me....

Typically whatever the laws are that surround the property apply to the private portion as well - except for shooting at live trees which would be legal on your property but NOT on the BLM, NF etc. This is becoming a popular new revenue stream for the LEOs to write citations for.

Last Edited:
why not just call the sheriff and ask for permission to shoot on your property.
The Sheriff is not going to authorize you to shoot on your own property. I live on 9 acres out in the sticks - I shoot on my property all the time - So unless you live within the City Limits I wold say fire away ! There is no ORS that prohibits you from shooting your firearms - outside the City limits of an incorporated City.

Seems crazy that my 10 year old son could be in trouble (and by extension me) for shooting his tiny bow and arrow or the new blowgun I just got him for a good report card at his archery target in the backyard. Truth be told, it is galactically stupid.

But in your case, my guess would be that if you are outside the UGB, the sheriff isn't going to care one bit as long as there aren't any safety moms looking out their windows panicking over your black rifle.

Sounds like suppressor time to me. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads