JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been searching online for a while, but haven't been able to find much information. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

The circumstance:

Parents own a few acres of property with some cabins on it in the Alsea area (Linn County), miles from the nearest town. The property is fully fenced, 10 feet high. 2x12 fence boards... can't see through it (the neighbors call it "the compound"). The property sits on the Alsea river, river on the South side with a dead-end gravel road on the North side. Grandparents own the property on the West side.
On the East side, 2 doors down lies the problem.
Without getting into to much detail, the neighbor two doors down has started a bit of a feud. To summarize, the old guy hates anyone having any fun or making any noise. It's gotten to the point that he has made threats, flips us all off on the way past his house, regularly calls the Sheriff, with often times made up complaints, etc.

BUT, to get back to the point of this thread... Last weekend I dispatched a few raccoons getting in the garbage cans. When we left, he apparently hid behind some bushes at the end of his driveway and got my license plate number. He then called the Sheriff to complain that we were illegally shooting on the property.
He told/threatened the grandparents this information. Threatening to call the Sheriff as soon as he heres gun shots again, and that they are "standing by" to come out and ticket us.

So, I would like to be able to shoot on the property, within the confines of the law. I'm trying to gather as much information as possible before proceeding. I know that you cannot shoot over a boy of water, and I know there is some limit has to how close to a roadway you can shoot.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Also, calling the Sheriff's office tomorrow to discuss the situation, and the laws regarding our situation.

You cannot shoot across a roadway or river in Oregon, but you may shoot near them. Old crotchety guy may just wind up on the receiving end of his own criminal cite for making false reports, harassment, hell I'd ramp it up and say terroristic threats. Make your own call to the sheriff's office, advise them of the situation. It's a small agency, I'm sure they're all familiar with the guy.

Oh ya...they'll know him.

Maybe get them to know him better, just rent/buy a Hilti and practice every day shoring up that fence...Maybe Mr. Grumpypants will keep calling it in as a terrorist training camp.:rolleyes:

Last Edited:
I had a similar problem with a neighbor- minus the shooting stuff- but he was constantly harassing me and my family, he wrote racist graffiti on our house (we are of middle eastern descent), would leave dead animals in our driveway and mailbox, the list goes on.. He even called in a terrorist threat about us! (After he brandished a pistol at my dad was when I decided it was time to get serious about carrying my own, but that's another story)
Anyway, it got to the point where every time he did something asinine we would call the police, just so we could make a police report and that there would be legal documentation of his anti-social behavior. Eventually he really crossed a line and the cops took him down (I've never been supportive of police brutality but in that case I would be lying if I didn't experience some schadenfreude). Because of the documented pattern of aggression, as well as the false reports of "terrorism" they confiscated his guns, as well as his fishing license! (He was busted for poaching) and sent him to jail for awhile.
So if your neighbor is acting like an bubblegum I would do whatever you can to document his false claims as well as any aggression on his part. If you can establish a pattern of Ill-intent it will work in your favor if he ever tries to pull something stupid.
Also, my neighbor still has guns that he bought shortly after his were confiscated. 594 works! :confused:

Thanks for the replies guys, and thanks for the sympathies :confused:

Called the Sheriffs office today and they confirmed, I am 100% within my rights shooting on the property as long as I don't shoot over the roadway or river. Although there was mention of needing a proper backstop. Looking further into that now.

BlackRyder makes an excellent point: generally in the eyes of the police, the one that calls police first becomes the victim and the other guy becomes the bad guy, all things being equal and the complaint is genuine.

There's this, too: if they hear nothing they know nothing!

MK-II.jpg

I had a bit of trouble with a new neighbor; she lives on the other side of the gully behind my house where I have my 100-yard range. She told me she didn't like the shooting.

Instead of being an bubblegum like I would have been in my younger days, I tried to accommodate her. I told her I would call her up before going down there to shoot, and I would wait until she was away from home before shooting. After talking this over a bit, she finally told me to just go ahead and shoot when I wanted without bothering to coordinate with her! I suppose just trying to find a decent solution was enough to convince her there would be no bullets flying through her home.

It's better to avoid feuds if there is any way possible!

Of course your situation has progressed too far to turn it around like this. Involving the cops is about all that is left.

BlackRyder makes an excellent point: generally in the eyes of the police, the one that calls police first becomes the victim and the other guy becomes the bad guy, all things being equal and the complaint is genuine.

There's this, too: if they hear nothing they know nothing!

View attachment 300992

I have a 22 silencer in jail right now, and I was shooting a silenced 223 (not that quiet) the day he called. Pretty quiet county where we're at! Granted, at this point I'm going to bump fire 50 rounds out of my 8" 300blk SBR... Several times. I feel no shame in saying bubblegum this guy, at this point.

Of course your situation has progressed too far to turn it around like this. Involving the cops is about all that is left.

Agreed, with all of the above posters. Called the Sheriffs office today with a detailed account of whats been going on. They listened to what I had to say, although they did not have much of a response.

Going up to the property with dad this weekend to build a big backstop, for the sake of covering every base.

I had a bit of trouble with a new neighbor; she lives on the other side of the gully behind my house where I have my 100-yard range. She told me she didn't like the shooting.

Instead of being an bubblegum like I would have been in my younger days, I tried to accommodate her. I told her I would call her up before going down there to shoot, and I would wait until she was away from home before shooting. After talking this over a bit, she finally told me to just go ahead and shoot when I wanted without bothering to coordinate with her! I suppose just trying to find a decent solution was enough to convince her there would be no bullets flying through her home.

It's better to avoid feuds if there is any way possible!

Why not invite her over for a day of shooting?

Going up to the property with dad this weekend to build a big backstop, for the sake of covering every base.

...and for the Children, of course. :p

You're going to love your .22LR suppressor. On my rifle the impact of the round is louder than the noise at the gun. It is hard to imagine until you hear it happen. What make and model is the can?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top