JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Confirmed from Oregon Rifleworks that all their lowers are considered pistols. They were hesitant to sell out of state and recommended purchasing across the river. Passing the info on incase anyone comes across the same question.

Confirmed from Oregon Rifleworks that all their lowers are considered pistols. They were hesitant to sell out of state and recommended purchasing across the river. Passing the info on incase anyone comes across the same question.

I think you misinterpreted what they said. A lower is treated the same as a pistol in regards to federal law. Meaning it CANNOT be transferred to someone that is not a resident of the state its being purchased from.
And the ONLY way a bare lower receiver can be transfered is as an "other/reciever". It doesn't matter if it was previously sold as a complete rifle or as a complete pistol.

I think you misinterpreted what they said. A lower is treated the same as a pistol in regards to federal law. Meaning it CANNOT be transferred to someone that is not a resident of the state its being purchased from.
And the ONLY way a bare lower receiver can be transfered is as an "other/reciever". It doesn't matter if it was previously sold as a complete rifle or as a complete pistol.

No, you can buy a pistol or lower receiver from another state. But it has to be shipped to an FFL in your home state for BGC, etc.

Lower receivers are NEVER pistols. They are "other". Any dealer who transfers a bare receiver or a receiver with an attached brace as a pistol is not in compliance with Federal Law. Its only a pistol when it it comes complete as a pistol and is excise tax paid as a pistol . In any case a dealer cannot legally transfer a bare receiver to an out of state non FFL licensed individual.

Lower receivers are NEVER pistols. They are "other". Any dealer who transfers a bare receiver or a receiver with an attached brace to an out of state resident as a pistol is not in compliance with Federal Law. Its only a pistol when it it comes complete as a pistol and is excise tax paid as a pistol . In any case a dealer cannot legally transfer a bare receiver to an out of state non FFL licensed individual.
Added a qualification in italics.

Added a qualification in italics.
A stripped lower or ANY lower even with buttstock attached or brace attached is never transferred to ANY buyer as a pistol. Out of state , in state etc. Doesnt matter. Its not a pistol unless its configured as a pistol. Its an "other" and "others" are not transferred to out of state residents ever.

I think we're talking past each other. Yes, a stripped lower should be transferred as an other. No, it is not illegal for an FFL to transfer a stripped lower. Yes, it is illegal for a FFL to transfer a stripped lower to a non-resident. That distinction is what I added in italics.

I think we're talking past each other. Yes, a stripped lower should be transferred as an other. No, it is not illegal for an FFL to transfer a stripped lower. Yes, it is illegal for a FFL to transfer a stripped lower to a non-resident. That distinction is what I added in italics.
We're moving in the same direction I see. We can agree that it is illegal for a dealer or an individual to transfer a lower to a resident of another state then I can move on to finishing my Bourbon.

A stripped lower or ANY lower even with buttstock attached or brace attached is never transferred to ANY buyer as a pistol. Out of state , in state etc. Doesnt matter. Its not a pistol unless its configured as a pistol. Its an "other" and "others" are not transferred to out of state residents ever.
My NWFA lower was shipped from an out of state FFL and transferred to me by the receiving local FFL as a pistol. I saw that box checked on the 4473 when I filled it out and I questioned that, but the FFL said that's the way it's done. I figured it's his * if anything goes sideways with the ATF.

My NWFA lower was shipped from an out of state FFL and transferred to me by the receiving local FFL as a pistol. I saw that box checked on the 4473 when I filled it out and I questioned that, but the FFL said that's the way it's done. I figured it's his * if anything goes sideways with the ATF.
Yeah he did it wrong. Lots of them do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top