JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm currently selling a pistol. I got an inquiry from a kid who says he's 18. He said he's interested, but wanted me to know he's 18 and asked "do you feel comfortable selling to me?" Is 18 a legal age to buy a pistol private party? Any insight would be appreciated.

I am not sure of your state law but federal law you need to be 21 to buy a hand gun and 18 for a long gun.

So if he is 18 I would not sell him it.

Just my opinion.

Yes 18 is legal for private sales, just verify age and as usual verify able to own firearm legally.

I'm not a lawyer, so do your own research. An FFL is bared from selling a handgun to anyone under the age of 21. For a person to person, yes 18 and over is legal.

Though, I would make damn sure this person is 18 or older. I don't know if I would even sell to someone who was so young, if I didn't personally know them and could vouch for their character.

But that is personal preference.

I am not sure of your state law but federal law you need to be 21 to buy a hand gun and 18 for a long gun.

So if he is 18 I would not sell him it.

Just my opinion.

WRONG! you must be 21 to purchase from a FFL. Says nothing about purchasing from a private party.

OR, WA, and ID all allow private sale without the use of an FFL...you only need to be 18 to purchase a pistol from a private party.

And you are from Idaho???? where under certain circomstances an 18 tear old can even legally obtain a permit to carry a concealed weapon?

In most states you must be 21 to buy or even own a pistol regardless of where you get it.

WRONG! where do you guys get these ideas,,, from back east, like NY, NJ, MA MD and CT? There are very few states that restrict purchase and posession of a pistol to 21 and over. Go to Handgunlaw.us and read the laws.

There are very few states that will issue a concealed permit to someone under 21 (ID is one that will, MT is another0 but it is federal law that a LICENSED DEALER (FFL) cannot sell a pistol to someone under 21. The individual states (and most of them do) are the ones that allow or disallow POSSESSION by someone under 18.

When you read the laws...remember...a JUVENILE is someone under 18....NOT someone under 21.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.Unless I knew the kid knew he was versed in firearms and mature enough to own it I wouldn't feel right.Sorry just me but unless your in the service I don't trust you with guns or voting till 25 or up.I got a 410 bollt action at 8. I had a full time job, a GED at 15. married and a baby at 20. now I'm 30 still with my lovely wife after 3 kids and 11 years, I'm not sayin there aint a lot of young men that would be just fine but I couldn't bear to have something happen

Yea your right an 18 year old can't possibly be responsible enough for a hand gun!!!!

What on earth is the US MILITARY THINKING?????

You guys crack me up.

Yea your right an 18 year old can't possibly be responsable enough for a hand gun!!!!

What on earth is the US MILITARY THINKING?????

You guys crack me up.
Didn't say that said a lot of em are not.The service trains em teaches them do's and don'ts you want to spend 90 days 24 hours a day molding some kid at the end by all means give him a gun.There are 10 year olds can handle firearms just fine but just some random kid knows about gun cause he plays grand theft auto 16 hours a day gonna show all his friends tonight when they drink the gin his brother got them?You ok with it go for it

Yes but we are talking a legal question here and the legal answer is in the PNW an 18 year old not otherwise prevented from owning a firearm can legally buy (from a private party) and OWN a handgun. They can open carry the handgun anywhere anyone else (unless that is only allowed if the person also possesses a Concealed Handgun License) can legally carry. And if they follow the law they can carry concealed while hunting and fishing in Oregon (see the regs and various laws for details)

Someone correct me if I am wrong but at last I knew you can not buy a pistol for a 18year old .
( not that it being done here ).
In other words you can not buy it in mind to sell it to a person under 18. However you can gift it
I believe ? There are so many loops holes and laws and is why there should not be stupid laws on sales.

The relivant laws are:

RCW 9.41.040(2)(a)(iii)

iii) If the person is under eighteen years of age, except as provided in RCW 9.41.042; and/or

ORS 166.470(1)(a)

(a) Is under 18 years of age

As you can see, in both OR and WA the answer is 18 years old to purchase a pistol...look up the law, I gave it to you. BTW, the same goes ID and NV

My mistake I miss read OP.The part about " are you comfortable with" mistook it for a two part question opinion withdrawn. . . (those extra periods are for the one I missed earlier salt)

18 is legal for private sales. 18 is not legal for FFL sales. All firearms sold across state lines have to go through an FFL on the buyr's side of the state line.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top