JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm planning to level part of my lawn, which is about 1000 sq ft in area. That part of the lawn doesn't have any deep depressions, its just bumpy and I want to level it out to make mowing a little smoother. Looking at getting topsoil (I don't want to level with sand for the time being, maybe later) but not sure how much I'll need.

Is anyone here experienced with lawn leveling and the amount of soil I should get? There are many local topsoil vendors in my area and they're cheap, they can deliver if I purchase a min. of 5 cubic yard. Will it be too much though?

If I end up with a lot of extra it'll be quite a hassle to move them somewhere out of the way from the driveway. Thanks.

One yard (a cubic yard) is 27 cubic feet so it might be easier to visualize. So you'd have 135 cubes of earth, each measuring 1×1×1'.

Is a skid steer out of the question? Knock the high spots into the low spots, drag the bucket over it a few times, call it done and crack a beer.
As a bonus, by the time you perfect your technique, the yard will be so beat up you wont have to mow til mid summer!

BTW, equipment like that isn't too terribly expensive to rent, it's the delivery and pickup that cost $$$. If you know someone with a flatbed trailer stout enough to haul it you'll save mucho bucks.

5 cu yds of soil will cover 1/2 of your yard 3" deep. Is more then half your yard level or at the level you want it? Are the low spots in your yard more then 3" deep?

5cu yds is a small dump truck load.

Get more than you need, you'll find you can bolster your soil elsewhere with some additions.
You'll need more as it settles too.

Update:
Got my top soil delivered today, its from a local outfit called Carpinito Brothers. Their topsoil is a mix of 3 different products consisting of loam, compost and sand.

This is going to be my first time doing lawn leveling, I even took 2 days off Mon and Tue so I can take my time and do it properly.

Wish me luck! :)

Update:
Got my top soil delivered today, its from a local outfit called Carpinito Brothers. Their topsoil is a mix of 3 different products consisting of loam, compost and sand.

This is going to be my first time doing lawn leveling, I even took 2 days off Mon and Tue so I can take my time and do it properly.

Wish me luck! :)
You'll be fine. You seem like a level-headed guy. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top