JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gov. Jay Inslee and state lawmakers are pushing to pass legislation that would force people to store their guns safely and which they say would fix a loophole in the current law, which makes it easier to get an assault weapon than a handgun.

OLYMPIA — Gov. Jay Inslee and state lawmakers are pushing to pass legislation that would force people to store their guns safely and would fix what some call a loophole in the current law, which makes it easier to get an assault weapon than a handgun.

Gun control advocates and Inslee met at the Capitol Thursday to call for enhanced background checks when buying or selling assault weapons and to enforce safe gun storage.

Democratic Rep. Laurie Jinkins of Tacoma, the sponsor of House Bill 1387, said her bill aims to prevent accidental and mass shootings in Washington state. Under the measure, a person would have to be 21 years old to purchase an assault weapon, would be required to undergo an expanded background check similar to those required for concealed weapons, attend an education course and go through the renewal process every year.

Lawmakers and Gov. Inslee push for more statewide gun measures

Oh no buzz words! If I am not mistaken don't you go through the same backround check with a ccw as well as any firearm purchase?

Also on the note of accidental shootings. I just read a statistic that shows accidental fatal shootings are at a record low.

I'm so sorry Washington. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Fight the rhetoric.

Oh no buzz words! If I am not mistaken don't you go through the same backround check with a ccw as well as any firearm purchase?

I believe that the expanded background check that they are talking about is the longer and more difficult process that one goes through in order to get a concealed handgun carry license from the state. These legislators want that system to now be used for buying those nasty "Assault Rifles" too.

Wow, the Assault Guns Bill, which is House Bill 1387, is really awful. It defines all handguns as being Assault Weapons too. And it requires that all Assault Weapons and handguns be registered with the state of Washington, AND THAT THE OWNER MUST STATE A VALID REASON FOR OWNING THE GUN. AND SELF-DEFENSE IS NOT CONSIDERED TO BE A VALID REASON.

This is really a very, very deceptive bill, and it will make life for gun owners in Washington quite difficult.

Not only would all handguns and assault weapons have to be registered with the state, but all high capacity magazines would have to be registered too. The registration fees are quite high too, and you would have to pay a separate fee for each individual gun and magazine. This is thus a very high hidden tax on gun ownership too.

This bill is simply blatant backdoor gun registration, and also a first step towards gun confiscation in Washington. Just the fact that it takes away any right to own a gun for self-defense in Washington is very serious indeed.

This bill has a lot of supporters in the Washington legislature. Word really needs to get out about this bill fast. It is an absolute nightmare.

This is one of the most dishonest pieces of legislation that I have ever read. And it is being promoted with the use of blatant lies about what it does.

Last Edited:
So they can force you buying a safe but providing valid ID for voting is unfairly hindering someone's Civil Rights...Got it...

I wonder what depths inslee and his sycophants will have to sink to to wake up the freedom loving citizens up in this state? And unfortunately NWGlockgal you are 100% correct, the bootlickers in Oregon I'm sure are salivating over inslees attempt to take our freedom. It won't take sweet kate long to try to out do inslee.........

It defines all handguns as being Assault Weapons too. .

Not quite. This is the language in the bill:

(27) "Assault weapon" means:
(c) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(ii) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol grip;

But still...

So they can force you buying a safe but providing valid ID for voting is unfairly hindering someone's Civil Rights...Got it...

Dude: Read this bill. It is a nightmare. If you don't store your semiauto rifle inside a safe when it is not in your possession, YOU ARE THEN GUILTY OF A CLASS C FELONY, and will have your right to own any firearms taken away from you!!!

The background check per gun is $50 You also have to get a license in order to own semiauto rifles, WHICH MUST BE RENEWED EVERY YEAR FOR A $30 FEE. And you must register with the state each and every one of these guns.

If this bill passes, gun owners in Washington are all going to have to become slaves to the state, unless they decide to instead commit suicide.

The bill's description says that this legislation was requested by the State of Washington's Attorney General. How on earth could people in Washington vote such a person into office??

The bill is incredible. People need to read it:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1387.pdf

Last Edited:
Wow... That is super rough... If that bubblegum happens here in Oregon I'm moving. Not like "I'm going to Canada if trump wins" I have the funds and means to escape this pseudo wanna be fascism. Guess Texas is next... Maybe Alaska? :s0004:

Thanks for clarifying that. I overlooked the additional specifications. So it does look like most handguns will not be included.

very first thing it says is "detachable magazine" Last I heard, there hasn't been any clip-fed semi auto handgun outside the usual revolvers and their moon-clips :rolleyes: Granted it also says "and one of the following, or more" for the rest of the additional "features" but many handguns are available with threaded barrels, and this also pretty much says any one of those MP, Skorpion, Sten, AR, AK pistols are included as "assault weapons" because they all have capacity to accept magazines outside the pistol grip, and they all can accept foregrips or barrel shrouds, even though the addition of a vertical foregrip on a pistol AR or AK or similar makes it a SBR or AOW to the ATF.

Dude: Read this bill. It is a nightmare. If you don't store your semiauto rifle inside a safe when it is not in your possession, YOU ARE THEN GUILTY OF A CLASS C FELONY, and will have your right to own any firearms taken away from you!!!

The background check per gun is $50 You also have to get a license in order to own semiauto rifles, WHICH MUST BE RENEWED EVERY YEAR FOR A $30 FEE. And you must register with the state each and every one of these guns.

If this bill passes, gun owners in Washington are all going to have to become slaves to the state, unless they decide to instead commit suicide.

The bill's description says that this legislation was requested by the State of Washington's Attorney General. How on earth could people in Washington vote such a person into office??

The bill is incredible. People need to read it:

http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2017-18/Pdf/Bills/House Bills/1387.pdf

You must have confused my sarcasm for acceptance...

This bill likely won't clear, I suspect it will go to initiative and the Seattle Lib-Tards will get it passed. Both CA & CT had less than 10% compliance...I'd expect the same in WA.

I've always been under the impression since I moved to the beautiful PNW that although people tend to lean on the progressive side of social issues they love their guns. I explained it like this to friends back home :never one here has a joint rolled and a round chambered.

Whether it's Oregon or Washington, I WILL NOT COMPLY!!! They can go F themselves....
I refused to comply in Cali (with the exception of 1 firearm) and I'm not about to start

The bill, is basically a cherry picked version from what I can tell without reading current Cal statutes and this proposed WA one side by side of the onerous laws in CA. It even looks like they closed the loopholes folks have been using in CA (where I live) until this year where all AWs must be registered, or modified to not be AWs or turned in or destroyed.

Oly would be the place for a LARGE scale peaceful demonstration against this law, and I mean in the thousands and thousands of gun owners, Bikers for Black Rifles, etc. The newly elected AG of WA no doubt got money for his campaign from anti gun lobbyists and like the liberal SCOTWA will simply ignore the state's constitutional protection of a citizens' 2A rights.

Brutus Out

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads