Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

latest use of the illegal and immoral Patriot Act

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ZombieAssassin, May 7, 2009.

1. ZombieAssassin

ZombieAssassin Oregon Member

2. xstayfrostyx

xstayfrostyx PDX Member

3. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

What are the feds thinking I wonder? I mean, they have to have some common sense as far as who's who in the terrorism game. I'm sure atleast one of them is thinking 'wtf are we doing here'. I would hope...

They must have 'something' on the kid to want to ruin his life like this. I wonder what that 'something' really is

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2009
  4. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

ARE WE READY.. We are going to have to fight to take our country back.. And while we are doing that, defend her from those foreign that want to take her from us too!

5. asiparks

asiparks PDX Active Member

Tinfoil time....
    Yes, Bush's Patriot act allows unaccountable and wanton abuse of a suspects rights and due process, but......
    He is in juvenile detention accused of having made numerous bomb threats to perdue university and some other schools. He has been charged and has already had 2 hearings with representation, has a third coming up on May 22nd. The hearings are not public because he is a juvi, there is no "gag order"
    Other than his mother screaming "patriot act !!!!", his arrest, detention and hearings have been no different than that of any other teenage yahoo.
    Perhaps clearing her sons name hasn't been easy because there is a strong and substansive case against him.
    If he is indeed guilty, then i couldn't care less if they waterboard him

6. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

Agreed, but the one thing I still can't get over in the "Patriot" Act and border/customs rules is strip and body cavity searches. That to me is rape and I won't say what would happen to anyone who did that to anyone in my family. It'd be "go" time.

7. asiparks

Well, that's a very perculiar fear......but nothing to do with the Patriot Act it's been a customs perk for many years. Strip/cavity searches by customs agents are usually done because they have good reason to believe you have a kilo of Columbias finest crammed up your cavity....If you don't have a rectum full of coke, then, statistically, you are way more likely to get killed in a plane crash coming back from Columbia than you are to receive a probing. And around 8000 X more likely than that to get killed in a traffic accident on your way to the airport, so you probably shouldn't worry about it too much.

As an aside, if you equate that with "rape" ,women who had actually, really been raped would likely tell you to suck it up and stop whining.
    I'm pretty confident that you actually wouldn't "go", but by chance if you did "go", it might not work out as well in real life for you or your family as it did when you played it out in your imagination....

8. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

Let's see a foreign body against your will? Sounds like rape to me. Run out and buy a dictionary and edumacate yourself.

Here's a starter for you:

Rape is forced, unwanted sexual intercourse. Rape, sometimes also called sexual assault, can happen to both men and women of any age.

Rape is about power, not sex. A rapist uses actual force or violence — or the threat of it — to take control over another human being.

You sure do sound like you know a lot about the violation of peoples private personal rights. You must have a lot of experience in the subject.

Have you ever even been to another country? (Canada doesn't count)

The Patriot act and illegal search and seizures are about power. I was using a forced cavity search as an example.

..and by the way I work on the border and numerous times have flashed my ID and told ICE agents to go pound sand. They quickly leave every time.

9. asiparks

er...missing my point about statistical risk, but anyway...

and I absolutely believe you. But you said that it would be "a go" so I am naturally curious as to what your "go" would be so i can learn from you tactical experience/thinking

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  10. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

This all sounds too cruel to be true. Something isn't being said, in the article or otherwise.

I cannot believe that at the very bare minimum, when faced with something like this, someone wouldn't just break him out of jail. Obviously not like in the movies, but have a line of picketers, eventually rioting, etc etc.

11. ZombieAssassin

ZombieAssassin Oregon Member

12. asiparks

so now we're the bizzarro world sheeple ?
    We're going to unquestioningly take every internet "OMG, Look what they're doing to our rights" panic story without applying any critical thinking to it ?
    That's the sort of nonsense and irrational knee jerk reaction that's inflated gun prices and caused ammo hoarding....

Sounds like this kid's an idiot, and as such deserves what he gets.

13. BUZO71

BUZO71 Emerald Valley, Oregon New Member

Its funny how people get sucked into this idea. This can all be done without the "Patriot Act." IP trace from the message. Ever heard of it?

14. Bend

Bend Central OR Member

More on the rest of the story...

Sunday, May 10, 2009

ThisWhen a North Carolina woman accused the federal government last week of abusing the Patriot Act to imprison her teenage son for allegedly making bomb threats, the mother's allegation caused quite an uproar, including calls to free 16-year-old Ashton Lundeby.

But a new report by Wired News suggests that, not only was the teenager an online superstar in rogue tech communities for his prank phone calls, but his mother may have known all along that the boy was conspiring with others to make bomb threats.

Lundeby, known online as "Tyrone," allegedly had progressed into selling his services as a threatmaker, charging schoolchildren from across the country $5 apiece to place threatening, Internet-based phone calls that would cause administrators to shut down their schools, Wired News reports.

"I heard the prank phone calls he made," his mother, Annette Lundeby, said in the Wired report. "They were really funny prank calls."

On top of that, the U.S. Attorney's office handling the case says her story about abuse of the Patriot Act was false.

On March 5, FBI agents took Ashton Lundeby into custody at his Oxford, N.C., home and placed him in a federal juvenile facility in Indiana, where he remains on charges he made bomb threats against Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind., and other schools.

Last week the boy's mother, Annette Lundeby, went on local TV and called her son's arrest a violation of the Constitution. She said Ashton, who'd been home-schooled and lived in a house full of American flags, was innocent, and that others had "hacked her son's IP address."

Bloggers on both the left and right of the political spectrum had come to the boy's defense, calling him a victim of government oppression, prompting the U.S. Attorney's office to issue a statement Thursday refuting the mother's claim.

Ashton Lundeby was charged under a long-standing law against making threats, and "this charge is unrelated to the Patriot Act," the statement says.

Wired News reports that Ashton was famous in online chat rooms as "Tyrone," a prank caller who'd patch hundreds of like-minded jokers into Internet-based conference calls where they could listen to him harass employees at Wal-Mart and other stores.

"Tyrone" allegedly moved on to bigger things, according to Wired News, which says he began calling in bomb threats and pretty soon was being paid for them via a PayPal account.

Annette Lundeby admitted to Wired News that she knew Ashton had been making "really funny" prank calls, and that he'd made bomb threats, and that he'd received money for some of the calls — but she said it was all just a joke.

An Australian college student who told Wired News that he tipped off the FBI about Ashton said Annette Lundeby knew exactly what her son was doing.

"His mother knew that he was making calls, because she'd come on the microphone when he was talking and tell him not to do any bomb threats because the house was going to get raided," the student told Wired News.

A phone message left by FOXNews.com at the Lundeby home was not immediately returned.

Link

My summary:

1)there is no involvment of the Patriot Act at all in any way

2)he is in a state juvenile facility in Indiana

3)he has a lawyer and has had three hearings

4)the federal involvment is because he was charged under a 1939 statute on interstate bomb threats

5)the whole story was bullbubblegum from the start, spun by his loon mother, who managed to get herself on a few interview shows by blowing her son's privacy.....the feds did not release his name.

6)it now appears that her little darling, who was with her in church blahblahblah, is actually a rather famous internet thug.