JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Late 1800s S&W top break .38 DA 3rd model 4" barrel

Nice numbers matching Smith and Wesson top break .38 with a 4" barrel. Nice patina, good original grips. Serial number indicates manufacture in 1894 or 1895.

Recent service by gunsmith: disassemble, lube, tune, testfire. Not fired since. Good working order.

Trade for quality Derringer, NAA .22 Magnum revolver, or modern S&W, Colt or Ruger revolver. I can add CASH for the right trade to make for a more-than-fair deal.

great shape -- PM me for pics

I'm mostly looking for trade, but I'm willing to consider offers in person. . . That said, I'm thinking somewhere in the $400 range based on what similar and lesser specimens are selling for on the auction sites.

The gun is in 30-50% condition per the PCGS grading system.

The Bluebook says about $140 - $150 retail. I'll offer you $100 as I can't do retail for a gun that ammo is scarce for and really isn't very collectable. Or I can trade you a 2 shot 22 mag derringer and 2 boxes of maxi-mag ammo, providing that the timing is still good making it shootable.

No problem if you think you can get more.

@ lcb97269 -- serial # 292xxx

Based on what I have found on other forums, this indicates production in 1894 or 1895 -- do you agree with this assessment? Is there anything else you might know that you're interested in sharing?

thanks!

FYI, here is the same gun as yours currently available for $195, but in much better condition.

S&W 3RD MODEL D.A. .38 for sale (960511246)

My derringer is a Davis made in the late 80's before Kalifornicators sued them out of business. They are now made in Utah by Cobra and sell for well over $100 new.

Btw, I the ammo I have is Federal Classic 50 gr HP, not CCI.

COB DERRINGER 22MAG-BLK/WOOD $138.00 SHIPS FREE

Of course mine has about 50 rounds thru it and a lot of pocket wear on the outside.

re the Davis derringer, no thanks. I have heard & read terrible things about those and the Cobras that came afterwards. A friend actually offered to basically give me one years ago, but I passed as I was afraid it would explode in my hand.

thanks anyway, and good luck!

Don't know what you heard about the Davis, but I have used, bought and sold about 10 of them over the years in 22, 22 mag, and 38 spec and the only issue ever encountered was a firing pin retainer bushing that was a bit short on one chamber and was easily fixed.

As for the NAA 22mag, they are cute but I still have a scar on my thumb from something that came out of it toward the rear that also clipped the earlobe of a friend standing to my rear and left.

Good luck to you too. Beyond the luck though, you might want to learn to do your own research compiled from professionals instead of listening to friends that heard something without actually having first hand experience.

@ lcb97269 --Y'know, I take the Anecdotal evidence of of a person trying to push a trade far less seriously than the Anecdotal evidence of my friends in law enforcement who carry the little NAA revolvers as backups. And, yeah I have done my homework -- the Davis and Cobra derringers are nigh-on universally reviled and derided, but the NAA revolvers are well respected -- lots of people questions their effectiveness, but I have heard nothing but positive statements regarding their build quality and customer service.

And, yes I have examined both in carefully person at various gun shows -- I'm not basing my opinions solely on the words of others. Your assumptions about my knowledge are unfounded and mildly insulting -- I'm new to this forum but not to firearms. I'm sure the Davis derringers have their fans -- but if you like it so much, why were you trying to get off of it, especially after spending so much time critiquing my S&W revolver?

You don't have to agree with me -- in fact one of my favorite things about our great country is our rights to opinions and expressions thereof, but being polite costs nothing and often pays dividends. That said, I sincerely wish you the best -- 2nd Amendment fans need to stick together in these dark days.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top