JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I picked up a gun FTF, the guy never mentioned needing papers or CPL. At the last second in person he asked for a bill of sale. I gave him my ID and said my name and drivers liscence # was fine. He wrote down my whole address anyway. This makes me wary. He has a CPL too so I'm not worried about him per-say... but 2 years from now and he's an addict looking for cash and finds my address in a stack of papers? or his cousin moe the tweeker finds it? Or just falls into the wrong hands. Not the first time this has happened and it makes me worry.

It just makes me irritated when people leave the paper work part til the last second. If you want a bill of sale SAY IT IN THE AD.

I usually have bill of sale with name only...

In this case i would have told him he could write my name down or we cancel the deal and I give him negative feedback...

But if this deal was too good to pass up, then you take the risk... Did that once a while back...

Each their own. But last call was not cool.

I personally prefer name and driver license number or CPL number. But no address or phone number.

A good seller would be up front in the ad or in any followup correspondence. A BOS is just to cover your tail in case it's ever used in a crime. If that ever happens and the law comes knockin' because you were that last registered owner, let them figure it out. They would need to prove you guilty. You don't need to prove your innocence. Most of us have no reason not to sign a BOS but there's no reason to give specific info beyond that. Personally, I'd prefer an exchange of cash for product and a handshake. That's legal and good enough for me on either end of a sale.

I agree if you want a bill of sale post it in the add. i had it sprung on me once at the pick up. I just wrote in some made up name, address and drivers lisense number, paid, took the gun and lelt. He was happy, so was I :s0114:.

I've done the bill of sale route myself - I will typically take one with me, but rarely use 'em. Sometimes the other party insists. Usually it's cash and a handshake, and maybe a look at their CHL and ID without writing anything down. I've made a couple face to face transactions in as many days - one as seller, one as buyer. As a seller I asked that the person had Oregon ID and CHL. As a buyer, the seller was golden with my word. I'm not worried that my former gun will be used in a crime, nor am I worried that the gun I bought today was stolen or is a crime-gun. I've owned something like 70 firearms since I started shooting a dozen years ago - never had the law come back and ask me about a gun that I sold. Never had anyone target me because they knew I owned a gun either. Given the political climate, my only worry with a bill of sale is that should someone decide to turn their guns in during a "voluntary" confiscation or ban - they can point to you and say "that dude has such and such guns" and now you've got to either prove you don't have it, or wind up getting rubber gloved if you chose not to comply with said program. Same goes for registration.

I recently did a FTF purchase. In emails prior to meeting up, I asked about getting a money order, but he was weary of a scam and offered a BOS, so I said OK. I mentioned to him I had just renewed my CHL, and he was good with my word. He looked respectable enough, so ultimately I am not worried. BOS just had his name, my name, date, gun info (model, S/N, caliber) and signatures from each of us.

It's not a worry with a known, stable player - unless you think HE might be ransacked, compromising your info.

But those last-minute antics? Hmmmmm...

He might be unsure how to proceed and just trying to stay out of "trouble," whatever that is. Selling a firearm, especially with all this recent BS, is uncharted territory for a lot of people.

My first inclination would be to tell him to fark arf. Then I'd have to go with my gut.

I wouldn't worry too much about him writing down your address. it came down to him wanting to come back after you it's really easy to find people with just just a name thru the various background checking websites. Also, he was up front about wanting it. Anytime you do a FTF some can just grab the plate on your vehicle and get all that info anyway.
I agree that type of stuff should be talked about prior to the FTF sale. I prolly would have walked out of annoyance.

Mehh, I don't look out of the ordinary for somebody buying a basic old pump shotgun...young white guy with scruffy beard, camo hat and educated verbal speech. Not exactly a gang banger or crazy with orange hair (james holmes).

I also had one guy take my ID and snap a picture on his iphone. I know who he is, went to HS with him, but still that made me uneasy as hell.

Just to add something, I've completed maybe 80 FTF sales in the last 5 years. Only once in awhile does something like this happen. And actually if somebody does ask ahead of time for a BOS that still doesn't turn me 100% off. Just makes me a little more hesitant.

I have for many years wanted a bill of sale on a FTF. I send one with the firearm and if he objects to me protecting myself, well sorry but no thank you. I do not try to get the guys life history, just the firearm information, his name and signature and a look at an ODL or CHL. I do agree that it's bull to spring the request out of the blue, last min. Under these conditions I have never been turned down.

I hate this too, which is why I started asking in correspondence long ago, in the event it wasn't mentioned in the ad.

Springing it on you last second, I'd give him the option to continue the deal without since it was never agreed upon, or back out with neutral or negative feedback. People really need to post this in their ads, but I can see how it can be overlooked until you actually are at the point of parting with it.

I've had people suddenly expect ME to provide them with a bill of sale as well, written on anything nearby, a dirty napkin, used "draw's", a soda cup...also not cool. I don't mind providing a BOS generally, but these things need to be discussed before the meet, not having some guy chase you down after the deal is done waving a napkin and a pen frantically in the air.

I believe a bill of sale is absolutely necessary, I write down name and CHL# or ODL#. I give a copy to the buyer with my full address and a copy of the ad that I printed out with all emails for their information if they want it. Most appreciate this.

My copy's are kept will all my BOS from cars, boats, etc in a file in the safe locked up

I have always stated this in my ads in bold and will not do it any other way. If a buyer does not want to do this I will not sell to them, period. Those that are not have nothing to hide, I will only do business with.

In response to the OP: I would have walked, anytime someone changes things at the last minute sends up red flags for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top