Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Last heard from in April 1942

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by rufus, May 1, 2012.

1. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Once again, I'm copy/pasting from elsewhere. Good stuff, or I would not bother. :thumbup:

*********SNIP***********

In the last week of March of this year, a World War II Curtiss P-40 was found intact in the Sahara desert. It was last heard from in April of 1942. The British pilot either became lost or was shot down. It's been remarkably preserved in the dry desert climate after 70 years. The plane is a Kittyhawk MkIA, bearing markings of the 260th Squadron, Royal Air Force. Its pilot's fate is unknown. P-40s first saw combat with the British Commonwealth squadrons of their Desert Air Force in the Middle East and North African campaigns during June 1941.

Here is a web site showing pictures of the plane as it was found

EMP9596, kenno, Sabertooth and 5 others like this.
  2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Good stuff, thanks for the link.

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Its my understanding quite a few planes got lost coming back from raids into Sicily and Italy. There is a famous Bomber that got lost Kadafee is supposed to have collected up what was left of it and had it like some sort of trophy.

I know there is a group that works to find any lost War plane. And they have found a lot of them in the jungles of the south pacific.

4. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Being a part of that group sure would be fun.

5. samuelm16

samuelm16 se pdx Well-Known Member

i love stuff like this. i cant belive a farmer or plane hadnt stumbled upon it earlier

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot Clack Co. OR Well-Known Member

Yeah that lost bomber was the inspiration for the movie Flight of the Phoenix. Great acting in the original version. I only made it halfway though the remake though.

7. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

WOW to the WOW. That old girl is in wonderful shape.