JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
WDFW FISHING RULE CHANGE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov

March 28, 2017

John Day Pool on Columbia River to close for retention of sturgeon

Action: Closes retention of sturgeon in John Day Pool.

Effective date: March 30, 2017, until further notice.

Species affected: White sturgeon.

Locations: The Columbia River and tributaries from John Day Dam upstream to McNary Dam.

Reason for action: The harvest guideline is expected to be reached by the effective date of this rule.

Information contact: (360) 696-6211. For latest information press *1010.

Fishers must have a current Washington fishing license, appropriate to the fishery. Check the WDFW "Fishing in Washington" rules pamphlet for details on fishing seasons and regulations. Fishing rules are subject to change. Check the WDFW Fishing hotline for the latest rule information at (360) 902-2500, press 2 for recreational rules. For the Shellfish Rule Change hotline call (360)796-3215 or toll free 1-866-880-5431.

allthough I have fished for sturgeon 2 times and both times were with you.... Not sayin nuttin bad here brother, the first time all the wittle wons came to play & the second time nun of em came & you even threw chains on the truck just to get there... :p:p:p:p
I always have a good time fishin with you and Bagel!!!;)

Last Edited:
Ah, whatever happened to the good old days. Year round fishing, 3 fish a day, 3' to 6' slot. When I was a youngster I remember all the old farts complaining about how huntin and fishin was all messed up and how great the old days were. If only they could see it now.

True Dat, the fish & wildlife managers (if they can truly be called that) have really screwed the pooch by politicians, state & Federal. Our resources are screwed and no amount of money will fix it!!!

I think it can be fixed, but only if we can get the politicians, the anti-hunters/fishers and certain purest groups out of the way. Look at what the Gulf Coast States have done; back in the early 80's a fisherman would rarely see a Redfish, let alone catch one. They've recovered well and before I moved back home last year, I couldn't go fishing without bringing home at least one Redfish (limit is 5).

20140222_161339.jpg

Same goes with the Speckled Trout (limit is 25)....

20131123_130106.jpg

And the Red Snapper have rebounded so well, that we would limit out (2 per) in 1 to 2 hours (many times less), that we would go from oil rig to oil rig trying to catch other fish (like Mangrove Snapper, Amber Jacks and Cobia) and would catch nothing but more Red Snapper. You couldn't get the bait past them, either up or down the water column, they were everywhere.

20160424_192238.jpg

The one factor in all three of these species recovery...........the elimination of gill netting. While I don't know if that would help the Sturgeon fishery in the Columbia, I'm damn sure it would help the Salmon and Steelhead recovery in the whole PNW.

If they can do it, we can too.

Ray
*Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but once I got going I couldn't stop.

I think it can be fixed, but only if we can get the politicians, the anti-hunters/fishers and certain purest groups out of the way. Look at what the Gulf Coast States have done; back in the early 80's a fisherman would rarely see a Redfish, let alone catch one. They've recovered well and before I moved back home last year, I couldn't go fishing without bringing home at least one Redfish (limit is 5).

View attachment 353137

Same goes with the Speckled Trout (limit is 25)....

View attachment 353138

And the Red Snapper have rebounded so well, that we would limit out (2 per) in 1 to 2 hours (many times less), that we would go from oil rig to oil rig trying to catch other fish (like Mangrove Snapper, Amber Jacks and Cobia) and would catch nothing but more Red Snapper. You couldn't get the bait past them, either up or down the water column, they were everywhere.

View attachment 353139

The one factor in all three of these species recovery...........the elimination of gill netting. While I don't know if that would help the Sturgeon fishery in the Columbia, I'm damn sure it would help the Salmon and Steelhead recovery in the whole PNW.

If they can do it, we can too.

Ray
*Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but once I got going I couldn't stop.

Were there some croker (spelling???) in that middle pic.??

Ok those were the ones i was thinking ( black drum ) it's been a long time since I've seen them but they did look familiar. Surprised there were no sheephead.

Ok those were the ones i was thinking ( black drum ) it's been a long time since I've seen them but they did look familiar. Surprised there were no sheephead.

We were fishing inshore that day; in the bayou.

Here's the Sheephead (on the left), from a day that we went a little farther out.
20140222_162444.jpg

My first and only redfish View attachment 353263

Nice fish, that brute was almost as big as you. I'll bet that's why you fish for the dinosaurs today, because nothing else measures up to catching fish more than half your size.

Here's the Bull Red from the above picture.
20140222_074823.jpg

Ray

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top