JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had cataract surgery (replacement lens) a few years ago. I was nearsighted (well over 20/400), so they said that they had to do the other eye too, because there was no way that I would be able to see properly with only one eye fixed.

The surgeries went well, and my eyesight is the same as it was with glasses, 20/25. Both eyes were covered by Medicare. I find that I can shoot long guns with open, peep, and tang sights. I can shoot pistols with notch/blade and notch/white dot sights. I focus on the front sight, the target, and the rear sight, in that order. If the rear sight is a peep, I hardly notice it there. If the rear sight is a notch, it is a little fuzzy, but clear enough. The front sight and target are usually pretty well in focus.

I still wear glasses, for three reasons: I have worn them since the second grade. They have saved an eye at least three times in my lifetime. With progressive lenses, I can focus at any distance with the tilt of my head.

After the surgery, I discovered that my arms are too short. I have to wear cheaters to read if I am not wearing my progressive lens glasses. I also use a cheater lens in my welding hoods. I use the cheaters, a magnified lamp, or magnifying headgear for detail work. I used to just take off my glasses for detail work!

OP, you should search the net for "merit optical attachment"' and see why it works. Then you could experiment with various size holes punched in black electrical tape attached to shooting glasses to determine what size hole works best for you. This is a cheap and easy way to determine if this would work for you.

On the Garand, it should be possible to buy or modify the peep part of the rear sight to a larger diameter hole. I wouldn't modify my original part, but the aperture units are available on Ebay and elsewhere.

Anyone on the far side of 60 (or who has been on systemic steroids, or both) is strongly advised to be checked for cataracts. I had a couple of "world class" cataracts removed and Abbott Laboratories engineered multi-focal lenses installed. I now have clear vision from about reading distance on out. Yeah, there is a halo or starburst pattern around some colors of light at night, but better than going blind.

Had to crash my motorcycle and spend an overnighter in the trauma unit before I took it sertiously.

I've had the halos and starbursts all my life. I managed to live with it, including 10 years flying the Bush in Alaska.
Being adaptive by nature, it is surprising how the brain adjusts and works right around such side effects. Like chronic pain, which the brain "backgrounds" until someone asks you about it.

Being adaptive by nature, it is surprising how the brain adjusts and works right around such side effects. Like chronic pain, which the brain "backgrounds" until someone asks you about it.
Yes. When I was young, I thought everyone saw them. It wasn't until my teens that anyone told me that it was not normal. No optometrist or doctor ever asked. o_O

I've always thought this to be just vanity surgery just so one could shoot iron sights, but my family is encouraging me to do so I can shoot my rifles with iron sights at 72

got this NM M1 Garand I haven't shot in 30 years

anyone had Lasik surgery and what is your experience with iron sight shooting
My dad got Lasik back when you had to go to Canada to get it done. He loved it, had better than 20/20 when he got home, and it took about 10 years before he had to start wearing glasses for close-up stuff. I'm planning on getting it in the next year - been wearing glasses forever, can't wait to get rid of them for a while. Best of luck with yours!

I'm 36, I had lasik when I was 21. In the past 5 years I've had to go back to wearing glasses. If I had the money I'd do it again. I love not having to wear glasses when I wear my full face motorcycle helmet.

Funny you should post this, went to the optometrist 2 days ago. Got the news my right eye is starting to develop a cataract, left eye will follow, probably. Sooo, just starting research, on replacing the lenses in both eyes! At 67 years old with a tricky ticker and a pesky pecker, what the hell. Been wearing glasses since I was 15, it would be nice to toss them in the trash.

So reading through the above posts I keep seeing that people are getting advice from an optomotrist. Go to an ophthomologist!! They are a step up in the ranks and one should have any and all of the current information available in order to make an informed decision FOR YOU.

That said, Lasik changed my life. Instead of being trapped behind a pair of glasses I was able to do anything I wanted. If your doctor says you could be a candidate, go for it!! You'll wonder why you took so long.

I've always thought this to be just vanity surgery just so one could shoot iron sights, but my family is encouraging me to do so I can shoot my rifles with iron sights at 72

got this NM M1 Garand I haven't shot in 30 years

anyone had Lasik surgery and what is your experience with iron sight shooting
Why not get glasses? If you can't see iron sights due to "old eyes" (presbyopia) lasik can't fix that unless you try some crazy type of monovision where you have different RX in each eye on purpose (I would not recommend that). You can get prescription glasses for about $40 online once you have a prescription.

Why not get glasses? If you can't see iron sights due to "old eyes" (presbyopia) lasik can't fix that unless you try some crazy type of monovision where you have different RX in each eye on purpose (I would not recommend that). You can get prescription glasses for about $40 online once you have a prescription.
I VERY seriously doubt the 72 year old is not already wearing glasses. With those of us who have "aging eye's we sure as hell wish it was so simple a $40 pair of glasses "fixed" this. Sadly not how it works.

I VERY seriously doubt the 72 year old is not already wearing glasses. With those of us who have "aging eye's we sure as hell wish it was so simple a $40 pair of glasses "fixed" this. Sadly not how it works.
I didn't see that OP said he already wore glasses but maybe I missed it?

So you advise mono vision lasik to fix it? Better try monovision contacts first to see if it works. What do you do when the ability of focus gets worse and you need to change the rx of the monovision lasik, keep going back every year or two for more lasik? Makes zero sense to me.

Bifocal glasses work. They also make shooting glasses with small correction lenses in the bottom for the sights (may not be the right rx for the op but they exist).

I would get bifocals and call it a day. Then when your eyesight changes you can get another pair easily.

I didn't see that OP said he already wore glasses but maybe I missed it?

So you advise mono vision lasik to fix it? Better try monovision contacts first to see if it works. What do you do when the ability of focus gets worse and you need to change the rx of the monovision lasik, keep going back every year or two for more lasik? Makes zero sense to me.

Bifocal glasses work. They also make shooting glasses with small correction lenses in the bottom for the sights (may not be the right rx for the op but they exist).

I would get bifocals and call it a day. Then when your eyesight changes you can get another pair easily.
He did not, I am "guessing" that at his age he is. I am not quite his age and do were glasses. I have a real struggle with open sights of any kind now. I VERY much wish a $40 pair of glasses fixed it. Sadly that's not how it works. I stared buying progressive glasses a good while back and those did help a lot more than the old bifocals but so far I have never seen a pair of glasses that fixes old age and open sights. Now the lens replacement surgery may well do this. Its something I will be looking at soon

He did not, I am "guessing" that at his age he is. I am not quite his age and do were glasses. I have a real struggle with open sights of any kind now. I VERY much wish a $40 pair of glasses fixed it. Sadly that's not how it works. I stared buying progressive glasses a good while back and those did help a lot more than the old bifocals but so far I have never seen a pair of glasses that fixes old age and open sights. Now the lens replacement surgery may well do this. Its something I will be looking at soon
OP was talking about lasik not refractive lens exchange. Plenty of older people don't wear glasses. My Dad never had them at over 90 years old.

Funny you should post this, went to the optometrist 2 days ago. Got the news my right eye is starting to develop a cataract, left eye will follow, probably. Sooo, just starting research, on replacing the lenses in both eyes! At 67 years old with a tricky ticker and a pesky pecker, what the hell. Been wearing glasses since I was 15, it would be nice to toss them in the trash.
With the option of multi-focal lenses, you can choose the optical qualities of your eyes. However, since the lenses are fixed, there will be some compromise to be made. I am left-handed, but my right eye was dominant, so I shoot right handed. Doctor tailored the lenses so I would retain right eye dominance. I actually have better sight now than when I was born, as the astigmatism is gone.

It is not completely without risk, as retina tears are possible, and indeed my left eye did develop a tear. It was fixed with laser surgery, and they lasered 360º around the retina so that scar tissue would form and strengthen the perimeter. Honestly, for us seasoned shooters, we have no idea how vision and color perception improve after removing cataracts and replacing lenses.

It is most noticeable when one eye is done - you can view something and alternately close one eye when viewing it. Differences in color perception (brought about by cataracts) are immediately apparent. Our brains adapted as we developed cataracts, and will adapt to accommodate clear lenses once again. It was not terribly inexpensive, but IMO absolutely worth it.

With the option of multi-focal lenses, you can choose the optical qualities of your eyes. However, since the lenses are fixed, there will be some compromise to be made. I am left-handed, but my right eye was dominant, so I shoot right handed. Doctor tailored the lenses so I would retain right eye dominance. I actually have better sight now than when I was born, as the astigmatism is gone.

It is not completely without risk, as retina tears are possible, and indeed my left eye did develop a tear. It was fixed with laser surgery, and they lasered 360º around the retina so that scar tissue would form and strengthen the perimeter. Honestly, for us seasoned shooters, we have no idea how vision and color perception improve after removing cataracts and replacing lenses.

It is most noticeable when one eye is done - you can view something and alternately close one eye when viewing it. Differences in color perception (brought about by cataracts) are immediately apparent. Our brains adapted as we developed cataracts, and will adapt to accommodate clear lenses once again. It was not terribly inexpensive, but IMO absolutely worth it.
Going to have to check into it. I have used soft contacts since they invented the damn things and they were a godsent when I was young. Had been wearing glasses since I was 10 and hated them as a kid. Always breaking them and such. Then of course around 40 had to start using cheaters. I have an odd eye thing where I am only using one eye at a time. One is in use, the other is like peripheral vision. No one ever noticed it in all those exams until I went to get my first Drivers License.
So decades later after I have gone through a truck load of cheaters last eye Doc tells me she should be able to make it so I no longer need the cheaters since I only use one eye at a time. Gave me a couple lenses to try and like magic I could read and see distance. :D
Really pissed me off that for 25 years no other eye Doc noticed this? 🤬
Damn its nice to not be forever looking for my cheaters at work. Now if a lens replacement could make iron sights look like they did 50 years ago and no more glasses or contacts? It would really seem strange but damn nice!!!

As is usual in my medical life, the right eye had three different lenses in it on the same day. After removing my trashed natural lens, the assistant provided the surgeon with the wrong replacement - which was noted only after the procedure was completed. Still in the chair, back in they went and popped the new one in. At least I saved someone else from having to go through it. :(

I wore glasses since I was a kid and had Lasik when I was around 25. Been 16 years and I would do it a thousand times over. There are risks but being free from glasses has been amazing. Maybe one of the best things I have ever done for my own quality of life. Lasik isn't vanity surgery; it's personal freedom. I don't know how well it works for older folks, but if you're a candidate, the benefits are so much more than just being able to shoot iron sights. It will change the way you live your life.

The downsides for me? I have small starbursts at night around lights. If you're tired, your vision gets blurier (which seems to be a natural thing anyway). With glasses, my vision wasn't blurry even when super tired. I will, according the doctors, 100% need cheaters someday. I lost the ability to focus super close up when looking at something (sub 3" away). Also the tensile strength of the surface of your eye is reduced by something like 70% so not a great idea if you get poked in the eyes a lot or will be experiencing lots of pressure from things like diving. I'm also very slightly more light sensitive to bright lights.

That is every single minor thing I have noticed. I'd have a hard time making the list of positives as they start the second I wake up in the morning and last until I kiss my wife goodnight (no more smudged glasses!). I'm a Lasik fan for life, which is good, because there is no going back.

Good luck with your choice!

I started wearing glasses at 10, and didn't get my first pair of hard contacts til 18. By 40, I was wearing the contacts for fewer hours each day as my eyes were producing less tears to float the lens. Was also at the point where I knew I needed bifocals for reading. I had Lasik at Pacific University in 1999, going from 20/650 [right eye] and 20/575 to 20/20. The Lasik eliminated much, though not all, of my astigmatism. I'm still 20/20 in my right eye, and 20/25 in the left, and use $1 reading glasses.

Saw the ophthalmologist this summer, for the first time in ten years. She said I'd probably need cataract surgery in 5 years or so.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top