JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had Lasik three days ago, vision is great and everything appears to be healing well. A question for anyone who's had Lasik: Did it affect your ability to shoot? Any differences shooting with iron sights or optics? Anything I should know or look out for?

I had LASIK a long time ago and the only side effect was headlights at night had a starburst/halo look to them, but that disappeared as the years went on. You might also notice your eyes are a little dryer than before, if so, just use some eye drops.

I had Lasik years ago and there really was no effect on shooting, then middle age caught up to me and presbyopia set in. So now I carry reading glasses and have a set in practically every room of the house and in the cars. In bright conditions I can shoot well enough but in low light those sights are hard to see. :(

I had bi-lateral lens replacement surgery years ago due to cataracts. Still can see the beard on a gnat at 300 yards. What I cannot see clearly is the dang front sight of my pistols. Yes, you might notice some difference with close in clarity. Congrats on your successful Lasik procedure. Hope all goes well in your recovery.

I went from being far sighted to near sighted, more sensitive to light, and dry eyes. If you get a headache, use your eye-drops, your eyes can get dry and you can't feel it.

Remember to wear safety glasses, I used to wear my glasses all the time, now I don't have that protection.

Keep sunglasses with you.

Don't rub your eyes.

I remember the first morning after the lasik, I put my glasses on out of habit. Only then I realize how bad my sight was before the lasik.

I've been thinking about LASIK and this had never occurred to me.
I suppose some people could have issues with focus, keeping both eyes open, etc.
This is definitely something I'll be looking into.
Good topic!

Depends on your age and what your prescription was before Lasik.
If you are around 45 or older, and used to take your glasses off to read, you have now lost
that advantage and will have to use something to help you see your sights. If you are younger,
you really shouldn't have any issues other than dry eye which usually goes away and is controllable with lubricating drops until it does.

Depends on your age and what your prescription was before Lasik.
If you are around 45 or older, and used to take your glasses off to read, you have now lost
that advantage and will have to use something to help you see your sights. If you are younger,
you really shouldn't have any issues other than dry eye which usually goes away and is controllable with lubricating drops until it does.

I'm 35 now, I have a coworker who had Lasik done 15 years ago when he was 35. He needs reading glasses, but I think that's pretty much unavoidable after your early 40's.

We went and saw the new Star Wars last night, it was nice to be able to wear the 3D glasses they gave us without working around my prescription lenses.

I had Lasik about 20 years ago (45 now) and just this year had one eye "touched up" as I my right side (dominant eye) was not the same as other eye. What actually caused me to notice it was that all my life I was right eye dominant and when I tested myself again it had switched to my left eye. No wonder my pistol aim was off! Now a few months after surgery I am still left eye dominant and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn because I was seeing 2 front sights if I kept both eyes open. I could aim well if I shut my left eye, but kinda defeated the purpose. Ended up going with a red dot on a pistol which solved all of my problems. Good luck!

Had experimental surgery on my right eye only. The Military was doing experiments to see if shooters could have better then 20/20 with the new tech in eye surgery! It worked very well for its intended porous, it made me light sensitive and caused dry eye in the eye that was done. The benefits were increased focus and clarity as well as a slight increase in power. like having a 1.5 zoom. Night vision is frickin awesome! I can see pistol sites with out trit inserts! They only would do one eye, and it was some what of a risk that could end your service if it didn't work! I got very lucky and have enjoyed the benefit of this! If you can, I would recommend having it done. A tip for you is tell your eye dr. that you are a pilot. The operation will be better then if you just get the standard!

Now a few months after surgery I am still left eye dominant and couldn't hit the broad side of the barn because I was seeing 2 front sights if I kept both eyes open.

Welcome to the world of right hand/left eye dominant.
Couple that with being old and having presbyopia....it makes
trying to see my sights challenging.:)

I tried everything to fix my new dominant eye issue, including different sights, eye training, etc. Doc said basically after awhile get used to be old :(. But red dots seem to get my eyes to see only 1 set of sites that they agree on and finally I am back to hitting reasonably well. But getting used to red dots on a pistol is really a challenge. But at least I can hit things again.

Glad you can still get out and practice a little! My brother has that issue. He ended up with just a front nite sight on his rig and he does reasonably well. He also puts cleat rape over the dominate eye shooting glasses to help "Coach" the other eye to focus! Yea, getting old sucks, cant run with the young dogs any more! Still goty as hell of a bite though!

I did LASIK about 20 years ago. I went from 20/400 (near sightedness) to 20/15 (better than normal) and I never had any issues like dry eyes, night time "halos", etc.

Fast forward to middle age... I can still read a flea's tattoo from across the street,
still shoot nicely, but anything "small" that's closer than 18" from my face requires "cheaters". At work they actually supply safety glasses with x2.0 magnifiers at the bottom of the lenses.

I keep threatening my wife that I'm just gonna be one of those "cool old guys" and just wear my bi-focal safety glasses everywhere, all the time.

:D

HA. I actually found an old pair of horned rimed glasses and had them fit with new lenses for reading or working on small stuff. Works out nicely and Looks like i'm smarter then I am ( I need all the help I can get) The wife busts my chops constantly, saying I look like her Grand Dad! I haven't told her her Grand Dad was a pretty sharp lookin guy, I want her to think It stings a little! I even got the old librarians chain to keep them around the neck! I call her my little meadow muffin, and she thinks its a compliment. She has no idea what meadow muffin is HAHA. Don't you dare tell her!o_O
I sure am grateful I had the operation, even though it was just one eye! I am glad every one on here has had good results with theirs. The dry eye thing could just be tired eyes, I never really thought much of it!

I did LASIK about 20 years ago. I went from 20/400 (near sightedness) to 20/15 (better than normal) and I never had any issues like dry eyes, night time "halos", etc.

Fast forward to middle age... I can still read a flea's tattoo from across the street,
still shoot nicely, but anything "small" that's closer than 18" from my face requires "cheaters". At work they actually supply safety glasses with x2.0 magnifiers at the bottom of the lenses.

I keep threatening my wife that I'm just gonna be one of those "cool old guys" and just wear my bi-focal safety glasses everywhere, all the time.

:D

Glad to know there is/was another guy as blind as me. sOB I need glasses to find my glasses. 20/400.

With correction I'm 20/15 and with stabilized I'm wanting to have this done as well. Without glasses I have to have something 8" in front of my face to see it. I do better at 5" or closer.

I'm excited. Maybe next year 2017 I can stuff it into our HSA and get my eyes fixed.

Sure aucks when I was a kid I had 20/15.. At 16 stress caused my eyesight to go perfect to 20/200 in 6 months.

Thank you @Modeler for bringing up this topic.

That's two people with 20/400. Makes me think it's something I should do.
I have 20/400 but with contacts or glasses I'm corrected to 20/15.
You guys are a great help.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads