JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you have lasers on your home defense firearm?

How many of you with those lasers have walked around your house with the laser on when it is dark?

If you have windows that do not have curtains over them, take notice that the laser quite readily reflects back towards you as if the window was a mirror, just like a flashlight does (on the latter, a major portion of the light is reflected back at the person depending on how wide the beam is).

Ditto for mirrors and possibly other highly reflective objects.

Yes, it usually is off at an angle somewhat (or a lot, depending on the angle you are to the glass), but it occurred to me that this is at least not desirable, possibly dangerous (lasers not being good things to look at as they can damage your eyes, even when reflected).

Lasers are useful for the visually impaired, I can't see worth a darn without my contacts... Also suitable as an intimidation device, thinking nothing would make the sphincter tighten up like a little red or green dot center of mass... Or tip of the nose...

Lasers are useful for the visually impaired, I can't see worth a darn without my contacts... Also suitable as an intimidation device, thinking nothing would make the sphincter tighten up like a little red or green dot center of mass... Or tip of the nose...

When I carried a Taser that little dot was what always got attention. Couple times some dobad asked me, are you going to shoot me? I would tell them no, this is a Taser, I am going to Tase you, then cuff you. Every one of them decided they suddenly did not want to fight any more. :D

The "Angle of the Dangle" of your Laser will change depending of whether you have single, double or triple pane windows. The POI of your shot will also change depending on those same factors.

These are only some of the reasons LEOs spend so much time training!:)

Lasers were never meant to replace sights, they were meant to augment them, but they also excel at shooting from irregular positions when sight use may be impractical or impossible. They provide immediate feedback on trigger control, which can aid training. They are especially beneficial on difficult to master weapons such as small revolvers. IMO, they definitely have a place on a defensive weapon as long as their weaknesses are understood and accepted.

in line with what KKG posted, back in my former .mil life we did a lot of training with lasers both visible and IR. Glass and reflective surfaces are the bane of these systems much like thermal on the same surfaces.
IIRC all civilian LAM's are eye safe though you don't want to stare at them. on Mil versions before we went into country we removed the safeties on our LAM's we were told those setting were not eye safe and even could damage our NVG's and PSQ-20s

at the end of the day, they are a useful tool when things go bump in the night and you are not fully awake and your eyes are not fully adjusted.

Just my 2 cents, a weapon mounted light with strong candela and a bright red dot sight is more effective on a home defense gun than a laser. Not only can you ID your target, with a bright enough light you can disorient them such that they won't know what's going on. Which is why I picked this up...
Optimized Weapon Light :s0155::s0155::s0155:

Coupled with my Aimpoint M4s I should be able to shed some light on any situation that could arise.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top