JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I just picked up my first laser-equipped gun, a S&W M&P9c with Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I have a question about adjusting the laser; I'll be using the gun for concealed carry.

The laser is on the right side of the gun, just above the grip. I've realized that I have to pick a distance at which to set the laser. Since it's below and to the right of the barrel I'll have to pick a distance where the laser crosses the sight alignment; at shorter distances the laser will spot low and to the right of the sight alignment and at greater distances the laser will spot high and left.

What distance should I set the laser for?

If you zero at 7 yards it will be off 8-10 inches at 25 yards
If you zero at 25 yards it will be off ~1 inch at 7 yards

So, consider a 25 yard zero and train the hold at close distance

At 25 yards that laser will be dancing all over the place as you try to shoot it, it's actually quite comical.
Go to range and watch the light show.
Personally I'd go for 15 yards and at least the person might think you'll hit them if the dot "stays" on their chest. IMHO

At 25 yards that laser will be dancing all over the place as you try to shoot it, it's actually quite comical.
Personally I'd go for 15 yards and at least the person might think you'll hit them if the dot "stays" on their chest. IMHO

That's true, but for purposes of adjusting the laser at 25 yards one doesn't have to be holding the gun. I'll probably set it up in a clamp on a worktable in the backyard, checking sight alignment and adjusting the laser with the gun held securely. I don't necessarily intend to shoot at that distance, but the geometry Ken Todd laid out makes sense for a 25 yard sight-in.

What ever distance do you practice shooting at with iron sights lets say 10 yards.
You should not be able to see the laser dot( dot should be just low covered by the iron sights) on the target so
the laser will not distract you using iron sights.
If you want to switch to laser just look over the iron sights than you will be able to use both.

Hi all,

I just picked up my first laser-equipped gun, a S&W M&P9c with Crimson Trace Lasergrips. I have a question about adjusting the laser; I'll be using the gun for concealed carry.

The laser is on the right side of the gun, just above the grip. I've realized that I have to pick a distance at which to set the laser. Since it's below and to the right of the barrel I'll have to pick a distance where the laser crosses the sight alignment; at shorter distances the laser will spot low and to the right of the sight alignment and at greater distances the laser will spot high and left.

What distance should I set the laser for?
CT says their lasers comer adjusted for 50'. I plan to run down to the factory (Wilsonville isn't that far from Vancouver) with some of mine and let them adjust it, then fine tune at the range if needed.

That's true, but for purposes of adjusting the laser at 25 yards one doesn't have to be holding the gun. I'll probably set it up in a clamp on a worktable in the backyard, checking sight alignment and adjusting the laser with the gun held securely. I don't necessarily intend to shoot at that distance, but the geometry Ken Todd laid out makes sense for a 25 yard sight-in.
Doing it that was if done properly you can have the laser adjusted in two shots and a third shot for verification.

laser will only give you an idea where bullet might travel. it's not there to replace sights.

I'd say some where within 10 yard is reasonable.

If you zero at 7 yards it will be off 8-10 inches at 25 yards
If you zero at 25 yards it will be off ~1 inch at 7 yards

So, consider a 25 yard zero and train the hold at close distance

If you zero at 7 yds you will be off more like 4" at 25 yards but your basic concept is correct. I zero my personal guns at 20 ft which is were I tend to shoot when practicing.

The gun is moving that much, laser or not. With practice you will find that the beam will steady down. The laser gives you the hand-eye feedback and will show every dip and flinch. It's a great learning tool.

I have a TLR-2 where the mechanical offset from the centerline of the barrel is over 1", maybe 1 1/2". For something like that you are crazy to set for a distance shorter than 25yds because, as mentioned above, if you set it closer, the hits will be way under the laser at distance. The Laser grips have a smaller offset from bore axis, so it is not as big of deal, although the grip laser is offset to the side, so that will screw up your windage at any kind of distance if it is sighted in close. 25yds is pretty common.

Really though, you should be practicing with it enough at various distances to get a feel for where it is going to hit to answer your own question.

At what distance do you expect to use your concealed carry ? For me it is too difficult and time consuming to waste time looking for that small red dot to fuss with it, especially in daylight. I do practice with the Crimson Trace grips and it helps with my 'point shooting' practice at up to 10 feet. Setting the sight for 10 feet strikes me as good enough for COM use.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top