JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Laser (OLight green) - Iron sights

1653332784136.png 1653332643147.png

Last Edited:
I need to practice more, and use a timer, but the basic methodology was to try to shoot as fast as I felt the sights were on target. I have not sighted in the laser - so it shoots a little low compared to iron sights. This was 32 rounds (32 rd mag) each target - ten yards. Two accurate shots to the head, the rest to the torso (yes, I know that is backwards, but this is a comparison of overall accuracy).

The speed seems to be about the same overall (start to finish), maybe a little faster with iron sights, but I feel I am more accurate with the laser.

I think the first shot on target is faster with the iron sights but I tend to try to speed up and occasionally pull a shot before I am ready so sometimes I am not as accurate (notice the one shot real low). With the laser I wait until I put the green dot where I want it and then pull the trigger.

What distance are you planning to zero your laser at? I have heard many different opinions on this.

I have a laser on my carry gun. I think it's a no-brainer. Left-handed, seated, behind cover.. all quick easy shots inside 5-7 yards.

What distance are you planning to zero your laser at? I have heard many different opinions on this.

I have a laser on my carry gun. I think it's a no-brainer. Left-handed, seated, behind cover.. all quick easy shots inside 5-7 yards.
I was thinking 40-50 yards. That should make it no more than 1" high or low at any distance from the muzzle to a 50 yard target, and I don't think I would typically shoot 9x19 any farther than that with a SIG 226. Most shots - if not all - would be inside ten yards. I do live in the boonies, and there may be targets of opportunity beyond 10 yards, but generally nothing that threatening. I don't shoot predators as I have no livestock and although there are cougars and bears on my property, they do not bother humans (except to eat their kittehs and foo foo dogs).

Last Edited:
For my "around the home" long guns I really love lasers. Many love to hate them and that's fine with me. Don't sell them or as far as I know own a bit of the makers. My aging eyes just don't work like they used to and on my house long guns the laser is great. Same for my mouse guns. Those to make fast accurate hits I have to be pretty damn close to what I shoot with irons. The laser? Makes me look like an expert with them :D

The thing is iron sights can easily be misaligned - a smidgen off on one side or the other, the front sight held low or high, not much time to get them perfect, you have to really pay attention to get them aligned well.

A laser dot, put it on the target where you want the bullet to hit, regardless of how you are holding the gun. You are looking at the target, not the gun or the gun sights. You only have one thing to focus on, both optically and mentally - the target.

Lasers really excel at distance. At, say, 25 yards, iron sights are usually covering a major portion of the target. Not so with that little dot. And as you said, lasers also allow you to focus on the threat instead of your sights. Me likey bigly. :)

Got a recommendation for a good quality green laser for the home defense rifle? Can't seem to find any that aren't cheap stuff...

I have half a dozen of this one. So fare love them. They recharge with an adapter that comes with them. Use them on a pistol and several rifles. They are "cheap" to buy. So far seem to be holding up fine. There are of course some that cost many times as much. I don't think I would take these into battle but, so far they seem to handle lost of use with no problem on hand gun and several PCC's

The Olight is about the cheapest I am willing to risk $ on - so far no problems except one has a switch for the mode (light, laser, light & laser) that is sticky.

Streamlight is the next step up in cost and probably quality

Surefire is probably the best, but also the most expensive.

I use the most compact laser/WML combos with adequate lumens that I find - I prefer that the light not extend beyoned the muzzle.

for the OLight it is the Baldr Mini Tactical

For the Streamlight it is the TLR 8 ag (IIRC) - if available I go for the HL versions of Streamlights

I have a TLR2HLg for my Shockwave and that is what I would use for long guns.

Last Edited:
I'm a left-eye dominant / right-handed shooter. Shooting pistols I can use iron sights just fine, so while I don't mind having a laser on a pistol, I can live without it. I can hit what I need with irons within 25 yards, and within 5 yards I'm most likely point-shooting.

With rifles BUIS don't work for me when shooting right-handed, and I'm too damn stubborn to learn how to be a full-time lefty. As a workaround I put lasers on my semi-auto rifles that have optics with 4x or greater magnification - if the threat is within 15-20 yards, the laser comes on and I angle the rifle to the side as though transitioning to 45-degree BUIS.

For rifles with optics that are less than 4x I use prism sights with etched reticles. I may add lasers to those as well in case the optic is damaged or loses zero when I need it, but it's lower on my priority list at the moment.

Also, I prefer momentary on/off switches when using a visible laser so it turns off when I remove pressure from the switch. Not a fan of having to click on and click off.

The iron sights on a PS90 suck, so optics and lasers are my answer.

For the shotgun, I got a SeeAll setup that is both fiber and tritium - going to try that with a CT laser on the side and a Streamlight light in the fore end. Otherwise, maybe a Meprolight M21 which I like.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top