JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I put on a Crimson Trace CMR-206 green dot on an AR. Also put on a 210 Lumens light. I went shooting in the dark and had a blast. However 210 lumens doesn't light enough and the recoil kept putting my light in the strobe mode. Do you guys with experience shooting at night have a favorite light? Lumens rating? Lastly, what range are you able to shoot accuratly?

What brand/model light were you using?

There is more to a light then just Lumen rating...
the way the beam is focused makes a huge difference.
You can't go wrong with high end lights from Surefire, Streamlight, and some others... I run Surefire Scouts on most of my ARs from 500 up to 1500 lumen. the 1500 lumen Surefire Duel Fuel is bright, but it isn't the best in most circumstances(and it dies pretty quick).
One of my favorites, and probably best bang for your buck is the Inforce WML(400L) Ive had several of them on several different ARs and PCCs..I have one on my B&T GHM9 currently. They also make an 800L WMLx.
Don't skimp on your light... they say the three MUST HAVE accessories for AR15 are... Sling, Light, and Optic.

Check out the Cloud Defensive Owl or Rein. Another good one is the Modlite series of lights. Before spending a lot on a light though educate yourself on candela, throw, color spectrum of the light, etc.... I would not have bought my Surefire duel fuel Scout lights if I had found Modlite or Cloud Defensive first.

Modlite is the only light where I can PID at 200 yards using the OKW head.

I like the dual fuel concept. You can use 123 or 18650 batteries, and you can always find 123s. Sometimes its hard to find 18650s. You can't use 123s with some of the newer lights. Its 18650 or nothing.

Last Edited:
The light is a Barska, a gift that works well while working on my Toyota tundra, not much else I guess.

Maybe I'd be better off turning my 9mm AR into a laser/light gun since the accuracy/range seems limited. I would like a dedicated gun just for night shooting, seems fun.

I'll check into lights. I had no idea of the options. I'll keep in mind that bigger may not be better. Do you guys order on the net or do you find these lights a the local GS?

Thanks a ton

PID? I guess I'll wait until I see something on the classifieds here or wait for the Black Friday sales.

Thanks again!

Last Edited:
I went for a Streamlight Protac HL-X on my AR, I went for the laser version but they make a less expensive one without since you already have a laser. Comes with a pressure pad style switch as well. Very bright (1000 lumens) and throws very far based on reviews I've seen. Mounts very secure as well. Just google some reviews if you want to see comparisons with other popular weapon-mounted lights.

Last Edited:
I went for a Streamlight Protac HL-X on my AR, I went for the laser version but they make a less expensive one without since you already have a laser. Comes with a pressure pad style switch as well. Very bright (1000 lumens) and throws very far based on reviews I've seen. Mounts very secure as well. Just google some reviews if you want to see comparisons with other popular weapon-mounted lights.

This light is like turning on the sun. It's good.

OLight make good mid-cost lights and Streamlight TLR-1 HL really great output and laser combos too if you need that.

I've had these but prefer the newer SureFire X-300U Ultra 1,000 lumen...super rugged and mostly a made in America product versus the other guys ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top