JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Because they are made in the USA and are high quality.. you get what you pay for.. what is your life worth?

After I posted the question I did some research and looks like the problem is that Crimson Trace patented grip-integrated design, so they have no competition and they can charge as much as they want. Don't tell me that a $20 grips and a $20 laser can sum up to be $300 together, even if made in USA and high quality.

That is the good and bad aspects of patents. We live in a capitolist society and that is the price we have to pay. Same reason medicine is so expensive. Sure wish I had a patent on something like that.....would be counting my mailbox money night and day.

I too wish they were less expensive.

That is the good and bad aspects of patents. We live in a capitolist society and that is the price we have to pay. Same reason medicine is so expensive. Sure wish I had a patent on something like that.....would be counting my mailbox money night and day.

I too wish they were less expensive.

... and you know what they did to fix the patent law? Moved from first-to-invent to first-to-file. So, if you invent something, and you don't have the money to file for it - filing for a patent is not cheap - and some big *** ultra rich company decides to file before you - even if you can prove it's your idea originally, they have all the rights and you can chew your nails.

Patent Office -- "First to File'' Bill (2011)

After I posted the question I did some research and looks like the problem is that Crimson Trace patented grip-integrated design, so they have no competition and they can charge as much as they want. Don't tell me that a $20 grips and a $20 laser can sum up to be $300 together, even if made in USA and high quality.

$20 Chinese junk? No thanks

Remember when "Made in Japan" was the term for junk products? Now look at the quality of stuff coming from Japan. China is right behind them. I have inexpensive $20 Chinese calipers that measure the same as my expensive Mitutoyo and Starrett brands.

Remember when "Made in Japan" was the term for junk products? Now look at the quality of stuff coming from Japan. China is right behind them. I have inexpensive $20 Chinese calipers that measure the same as my expensive Mitutoyo and Starrett brands.

Until it breaks that is

Well, I hate it, but it seems to be the new paradigm. You don't pay $200 for a quality tool that last a long time and can be repaired. You spend $20 for a cheapo tool that does the job for a short time and then you throw it away.

I've done that but am getting away from it as much as possible and buying quality, instead

Crimson Trace is a great company with unbelieveable service (plus they are local here in Oregon). The laser grips are expensive, no doubt about that. And yes, the actual cost of producing each grip is probably $20 or less. BUT...
1. They have to pay for R&D costs. They don't just decide to start molding a 1911 grip and wing it. They will buy many of the handguns it's supposed to fit (to account for manufacturing tolerances) and spend lots of expensive engineer time getting it right and making sure it will work for everybody.
2. They have to pay for testing costs. This is where the overseas comanies are full of epic fail. They put it through torture tests you'd never imagiane putting your gun through to make sure it works all the time and can survive nasty environments and harsh handling (like dropping your gun on the pavement when the cops arrive after a defensive shooting).
3. They have to make sure it's reasonably close to point of impact for each gun it's made for. They have adjustment screws in them but usually you can get the laser to point right where the bullet is going to impact before running out of adjustment. And if you can't, they'll replace it. Which brings me to my next point:
Warranty. They stand behind their products. I lost the little allen key to adjust the lasergrip on one of my handguns. I emailed CT to ask what size the adjustment screw was (just a teeny little allen wrench, no prob. I'll buy another). They sent me 3 new allen wrenches, 3 cleaning swabs, a couple extra batteries, and some decals. No charge, no questions asked. I was blown away!
The reason for the patent is sound IMO. Think of it from a pharmaceutical company's point of view: They may spend 10 million dollars developing this new miracle vaccine (years of lab techs and microbioligists aren't cheap). They want to make sure they can recoup their R&D costs. To do that, they patent it, and charge enough that they can recoup the costs before the patent runs out and it goes generic and sells for 10 cents instead of 10 dollars.
Anyway, you probably already know this, I'm just saying I don't mind paying a premium for a product that I know will work and will be replaced if it fails. There are some chinese scopes out there that look just like trijicon ACOGS. Will they perform the same? Will they survive real world hard use? Will the company stand behind them? NO!
Quality costs money, and businesses try to make a profit from a good idea. If it's a range toy, by all means put a $10 chinese POS scope or laser on it. That way if it fails, it'll be frustrating for that trip, but won't cost you your life or anything. I have a primary arms micro dot on my AK. It's a clone of the aimpoint T1, but I don't expect it to stand up to the same abuse, and wouldn't trust my life to it.
It does hurt to pull out the wallet for some of these products. But I feel if it's a gun you may trust your life to someday, buy quality and something that will last a lifetime instead of some chinese gizmo that will probably fail somewhere between the second and third mag through the gun.

*written by somebody who has thrown too many $30-$90 opics on the trash can

I've had the cheap calipers going on 4 years. Bought them from Cabela's by the way, and I think Sinclair now is selling the exact same thing under a different name. I use them all the time cause I don't want to break my expensive ones. Needless to say I'm not overly careful with them. They keep on ticking.

I've heard the least expensive Starrett caliper is now made in China. Wouldn't that piss you off? Pay a hundred bucks for what you think is a made in USA product only to find out it is a $20 Chinese job in disguise.

My Mitutoyo calipers are made in Brazil. I don't think country of orgin matters. What determines quality is attention to detail, and the Chinese are as good as it as anyone else.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top