JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This story reminds me of the way I practice. I shoot handguns fast. As fast as I can keeping hits on CM/head. I don't try for tiny little groups, I shoot my handguns like my life depends on it.

Wait......

Yup.

Been working on "off" hand only as well lately. Not being ambidextrous, that is super hard.

Hoping to be able to train into doing so "good enough", with time.

1) Seems like situational awareness and correct tactics were as important as gunhandling.
2) I wonder if 11 shots = 10 rd. mag + 1? Would more mag capacity have meant more hits? He killed the assailant 11 times before he could fall down. Now that's good shooting! It also points out the difference between killing and stopping.
3) The decedent is awarded a Darwin Award with Oak Leaves, Swords, and Diamonds and will be used as an example for what not to do in upcoming classes in Victim Selection 101.

Coupla points:

* From other sources... people that know Baldwin say that there is/was no known relationship between Baldwin and Smith. Therefore, what the Foxnews article made seem like a targeted attack was indeed a random attack. Not important as far as a justified shoot, but the news stories sure got a lot of people wondering if there were incentives for Smith to attack a well known couple. I could see the guy making a pass at Tori at the LGS, her shutting him down with mean girl talk, and the him wanting to get revenge. But that ain't what happened... reporting... sigh.

* Las Vegas 24/7 culture is alive and well. People are out doing things at all times of the night/day/morning. And since the dining rooms are closed you have to either take your meal home, or eat in the parking lot. But recognize that the parking lot is a "transitional space" as is called by John Correia... people typically coming and going, entering and leaving... it's a space with a statistically higher violent incident rate of people being robbed/assaulted/killed. The victims were out of the car, hanging around reading emails. A high level of training may give one the confidence to stay in high risk areas, but why tempt fate???

* "I got all my hits". The quotes listed in the Foxnews story make Baldwin sound like he doesn't care he was shooting at a human instead of nailing paper. Lesson: If ever in a DGU incident, be careful what you say to reporters!!!

I don't know the guy. I'm happy he and girlfriend made it thru. But he is a high profile person with, apparently, quite a group of followers that take everything anybody says or writes as criticism that will not be tolerated. I haven't enjoyed the commentary on Foxnews.com nor on Facebook on the Active Self Protection page.

Last Edited:
All I know is that if it had been me, in a similar situation, as could easily have happened in Northern Ireland, I would have emptied all 21 rounds into him and followed the motion through on the way down. MY Browning P35 came with a bunch of 20-round magazines, filled with all that nice free NATO ammunition provided by the Queen.

If anybody here recalls the ending of the Iranian embassy siege in London back in 1980, where one of the SAS troopers was asked to tell the subsequent court why he had shot Terrorist X with 32 rounds from his HK, his response was simply this - ' M'Lord, that was all the ammunition I had left at the time....'

It was quoted that Baldwin's 11 shots came in 4 seconds. That's a pretty good clip of almost 3/second that would not be accurate fire for a high % of defensive shooters due to lack of training. His last shot was a CNS shot... I'm guessing to the head, the one that stopped the shooter in his tracks. That's quite a Mozambique triple tap there!!!

Our guy at Cerberus Training advised to stitch em from crotch to head. I guess this shows why... BGs don't fall over with the first shot.

Wow! Again stuff like this always makes me think about wanting larger and more. This guy was very good, did things right yet still had to put that many rounds in this kook to stop him. Don't know if this was already posed as I did not see it but what a story for those of us who carry to think about.

Pistol caliber ammunition is bad for killing people. We carry pistols for the convenience, not because it's the best option out there. 9mm to .45 and larger, it doesn't matter. They all lack the ability to effectively kill people. This is precisely why most people nowadays opt for 9mm/.40 - more ammunition and less muzzle rise allows for faster follow up shots to place those ineffective bullets in the most vital organs as quickly as possible to stop the threat.

Pistol caliber ammunition is bad for killing people. We carry pistols for the convenience, not because it's the best option out there. 9mm to .45 and larger, it doesn't matter. They all lack the ability to effectively kill people. This is precisely why most people nowadays opt for 9mm/.40 - more ammunition and less muzzle rise allows for faster follow up shots to place those ineffective bullets in the most vital organs as quickly as possible to stop the threat.
So, no real reason to have Level II armor :rolleyes: :s0100::s0121:

I saw his video hyping the NRA when the NRA had nothing to do with the outcome of his situation.

Except probably helping his access to the firearms he owns now from the work previous years work the NRA has put it in. The current NRA is not the best pony but it's still currently the most influential and historical in helping our 2A. I would think it had something to do with the outcome of his situation.

The cops love it. Ever see video of a thug wearing his pants like that trying to run from the cops?

It's hilarious! :s0140:

Best fashion ever for perps. for sure.

BJ Baldwin is known in off-road racing as Ballistic BJ Baldwin, now more so than ever. He truly did earn the Ballistic in his nickname.

Can you imagine if Tori also had her EDC on her!? BOTH her and BJ clear leather.... be like a USPSA match at In-n-out.

I am sitting in my truck at a McDonald's parking lot. I just finished to two McChicken's for $3. I got my IPSC steel target in the back. Heading to the outdoor range to practice some 15 yard engagements.

All the reason to master the queen of the present day battlefield instead of copping out with fatalistic platitudes.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top