JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Coworker was telling me about how Lars Larson tried to question Portland Mayor Hale about his banning of firearms. I guess it was pretty good, and at one point the mayor had to turn to a security guard to answer a question. I'd like to see the transcripts, but this is what I found on Lars' FB page, which proves his ignorance on this issue. :s0114:

Quote:

best quote of Mayor Charlie Hales news conference today
"I'm open to a ban on posession of military style (read, semi auto sporting rifles like those used at Clackamas and Sandy Hook) weapons. I think the place to start, first, is sale, because there are many of these weapons in circulation in general, it seems that a weapon that you can't hunt with...is inappropriate for general ownership

(question/lars "Mr Mayor, you are aware those rifles are used for hunting?)

I'm not a hunter so I don't know.

If somebody can find the transcripts, I would love to read the whole thing.

63663_556649617696858_1717422719_n.jpg

63663_556649617696858_1717422719_n.jpg

I seen the mayor on TV tonite and he seems to know nothing about Firearms, its pretty apparent. His dislike/fear of weapons is probably from his childhood trama where the bully down the block with the red rider BB gun knocked the snot out of him daily. His impression was he is a Tool.

No, it's because Hales is a moron. Rather than learn about guns, he looks at what voters in his district would vote for, what Bloomberg has said, what Obama has said, and then copies them. He doesn't really know why he doesn't like them or thinks they should be banned but, if Bloomberg and Obama don't like them, they must be bad. It reminds me of that Simpsons Episode where Bart is standing in a huge line at an amusement park (Duff Land) and he doesn't know what the line is for but, if the line is that long it must be good. Camera slides forwards to the front of the line and it's the complaint dept.

WTF does hunting have to do with firearm ownership anyway? I own a fair amount of firearms and have never hunted, nor have any intention of hunting. Sure you can hunt with "military style weapons" but it doesn't matter if you can or not. I own my weapons for target shooting, competition shooting and for self defense. The second amendment does not say "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, for hunting, shall not be infringed". Why does this always come up as an argument with politicians and the media?

These are all rhetorical questions. I am not that naive. I'm just venting.

WTF does hunting have to do with firearm ownership anyway? I own a fair amount of firearms and have never hunted, nor have any intention of hunting. Sure you can hunt with "military style weapons" but it doesn't matter if you can or not. I own my weapons for target shooting, competition shooting and for self defense. The second amendment does not say "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, for hunting, shall not be infringed". Why does this always come up as an argument with politicians and the media?

These are all rhetorical questions. I am not that naive. I'm just venting.

Well said! While i hunt with my "military style" firearms they serve many roles. An AR is nothing more than a spork...

The antis have a good grip on the emotional sale. People make their decisions based on irrational emotions, not a rational facts.

The fact is, that these people are rallying to counter a threat that statically might as well not even exist at all. There are hundreds of things that are more of a threat to people/children than an active shooter. That does not matter; facts do not matter.

What the masses want more than anything else is the continuation of the status quo and comfort. The gov/media pushing that they are 'doing something' so people can safely go to a movie theater or the mall is enough for them. Of course that is all BS, but that conclusion is based on facts, and facts do not really matter when it comes to public opinion.

The best message the pro-gun people can make is that them having guns makes people safer. The gun free zones set up people to be targeted victims by people who will not be stopped by any gun control.

Pro-2A people carrying signs that say they have a right means zip to the masses. People also make decisions based on their selfish desires. They don't care about your desires, at all, unless they see a benefit in it for themselves.

The people's only chance at real security or being relatively safe are armed good guys. Not cops, but armed civilians. That message should be repeated relentlessly.
Yes, it is a 'fact,' but the message is based on countering fear.

The sales pitch should be that being pro-gun is in their best interests if they want the status quo, shopping sprees, freedom to walk the street unmolested, etc, to continue.

We all know that the attack on ARs/AKs/high caps is just a stepping stone to taking away everything. Another emotional sale is explaining to people what it will be like living in a full on police state. (Although Normalcy Bias will kick in unfortunately). That, even if they are a completely compliant, apathetic, avg/law abiding Joe, it will still he horrible for them and their children.

Of course there are 100s of statistical facts why gun control does not work. If you get into the 'fact mode', quoting statistics/logic while the antis push a pure emotional agenda - 'if we can save just one child' - you LOSE.

It is simple as that. Americans are conditioned to follow their irrational emotions. Only. Unfortunately, the Oligarchs are masters of human psychology and manipulation.

What I think is funny is that people always say, "Oh you could never stand up to the military." And yet the Afghans have been doing it for 12 years and the Iraqis for 9 years. Now you have a ton of vets, trained to combat that type of warfare AND trained by experience IN that type of warfare as normal citizens again a vast majority with at least 2 or 3 firearms a piece. Seems to me our population could have a decent chance.

What I think is funny is that people always say, "Oh you could never stand up to the military." And yet the Afghans have been doing it for 12 years and the Iraqis for 9 years. Now you have a ton of vets, trained to combat that type of warfare AND trained by experience IN that type of warfare as normal citizens again a vast majority with at least 2 or 3 firearms a piece. Seems to me our population could have a decent chance.

I'm one who thinks an ordinary citizen vs. U.S. Army, USMC, etc wouldn't stand a chance. However, you made me rethink that idea with your above statement. Maybe they could be fought to a bloody standstill in 10 or 15 years ? My doubts creep back in at this point though. I don't believe enough Americans in 2013 have the nuts and stamina for this sort of thing. Most people I know would sell their firstborn as long as the cable stayed on and they could keep driving their minivan/SUV.

I'm one who thinks an ordinary citizen vs. U.S. Army, USMC, etc wouldn't stand a chance. However, you made me rethink that idea with your above statement. Maybe they could be fought to a bloody standstill in 10 or 15 years ? My doubts creep back in at this point though. I don't believe enough Americans in 2013 have the nuts and stamina for this sort of thing. Most people I know would sell their firstborn as long as the cable stayed on and they could keep driving their minivan/SUV.

something you are forgetting, how many personnel will stay with the military if orders like that are given in the U.S.A. they have family here also.

I think you are severely underestimating the capabilities and vigilance of vets.

I, a veteran of Iraq, will, without a moments hesitation, fight to my end to preserve my rights and the rights of everyone else in this country. With that said I can easily rack off 30 names of vets in the same position as I.

Also, how many members of the various services will either go AWOL or just fail to follow orders?

The police? How many are going to refuse to enforce a law that will likely have them shot?

I forget where the math is and I'm too lazy to do the math again, but lets say ~5% of firearm owners will shoot someone to defend their rights. That meager number of firearm owners will put something like a 1.5 - 1 citizen to cop ratio. I'm going to see if I can find the math again, but no promises.

WTF does hunting have to do with firearm ownership anyway?

Nothing. Although a lot of types of hunting benefit from the use of a firearm.

But what's behind it is simple: We start with a pretty big universal uninfringable right. Then we pseudo-ban full auto's by taxing them. As $200 became a sum that's more and more affordable to many, finally the final blow to full auto came in 1986. So that's pretty much gone already. Then we'll introduce a ton of harassment style legislation to just annoy gun owners, 10 rounds this, 10 day waiting period that. All different localities, but it's there. And every now and then we'll get some massive attack on this right. At this moment, gun owners are chased into a corner. We're not even attacking the assaults on the constitutional rights anymore, we're merely deflecting the biggest blows while we last. Who cares whether an AR-15 has any "sports" or hunting use? It's there because people want it and because it's our right to own it. Period. It's not about usefulness, that's only a smoke grenade to blur our view on what's really going on.

I know a few thousand Three-Gun competitors that could also explain what they use that gun for.

Why do these people try to discuss topics that that have zero knowledge about? Same as the crazy lady from Turner Oregon that told the Statesman Journal that there was no need for any of these "Assault Rifles" and that 'Adam Lanza could not have done that same damage with a Handgun, or Multiple Handguns, or a regular hunting rifle'

But hey, why confuse the issue with facts.

Same as the crazy lady from Turner Oregon that told the Statesman Journal that there was no need for any of these "Assault Rifles" and that 'Adam Lanza could not have done that same damage with a Handgun, or Multiple Handguns, or a regular hunting rifle'

Fact is most hunting rifles would cause far more damage if employed properly. Granted it would take a little more know how. Example: Charles Whitman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top