JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
well i hope u didnt go when u said u wanted to because that was during the late buck season and its never fair to the hunters when people go target shooting during season, nothing makes me more heated:angry:

the season is over now. regardless if the deer are used to it, as a hunter it just doesnt feel right hunting around the woods when 200 or 500 yards away someone is going BANG over and over and over again. ask any hunter i think they would likely agree. its like last year i went to go sit at one of my fav spots and here somes about 12 high school kids driving wrecklessly.

I WAS UPSET!

Honestly, it seems like every year Wa Larch gets more and more younger shooters, 4x4ing, and combined with under age drinking at night. I honestly drive further and further every year to get away from the younger crowd shooting. I say that at 27 and have used the different locations up there since I was 16.

I have found many spots littered now to disgust. Please clean up. I know its hard to get every piece of brass but try for the bulk. Same with targets.

Please Beware: There are motorcycle trails wondering through the tress that you may or may not be aware of. I know personally, sometimes I get off of work and rush up to get a few rounds in before night fall. But take a few moments to make sure your totally clear and check every few clips just to make sure. I have ran into several occasions where someone is off of one of these trails and walking right into the location I am shooting.

I am just a humble user of Larch. I wish it to stay open for shooting. :cool:

the season is over now. regardless if the deer are used to it, as a hunter it just doesnt feel right hunting around the woods when 200 or 500 yards away someone is going BANG over and over and over again. ask any hunter i think they would likely agree. its like last year i went to go sit at one of my fav spots and here somes about 12 high school kids driving wrecklessly.

I WAS UPSET!

This is the exact reason I don't hunt in Washington or Oregon. :s0114:

Though, I also think this can go both ways depending how deep you are actually up into the mountain.

Honestly, it seems like every year Wa Larch gets more and more younger shooters, 4x4ing, and combined with under age drinking at night. I honestly drive further and further every year to get away from the younger crowd shooting. I say that at 27 and have used the different locations up there since I was 16.

I have found many spots littered now to disgust. Please clean up. I know its hard to get every piece of brass but try for the bulk. Same with targets.

Please Beware: There are motorcycle trails wondering through the tress that you may or may not be aware of. I know personally, sometimes I get off of work and rush up to get a few rounds in before night fall. But take a few moments to make sure your totally clear and check every few clips just to make sure. I have ran into several occasions where someone is off of one of these trails and walking right into the location I am shooting.

I am just a humble user of Larch. I wish it to stay open for shooting. :cool:

This is true. There are FAR more motorcycles/quads up there than there are shooters. Until last summer, I was one of the dirt bikers, and there is nothing more concerning than riding on a trail that has been created for dirt bikes, and hearing gun fire. Please be mindful of others using the same land.

well i hope u didnt go when u said u wanted to because that was during the late buck season and its never fair to the hunters when people go target shooting during season, nothing makes me more heated:angry:

No offense, but not everyone who shoots is a hunter. Asking people not to shoot during hunting season is like me asking you not to hunt during target practice.

no offense but i completely disagree. a target shooter should have enough respect to stay out of the woods for the 10 days that someone is tryin to bag a buck to feed their family. a target shooter should know how important hunting really is. and im not talkin about a responable target shooter in the first place. im sure the target shooters on here dont want to be considered for the same category as the target shooters up at larch mountain, drinking beer and spraying the woods. either way the respectful and resonable thing to do is stay outta the woods for 10 days. enough said

My issue with the hunting is Larch Mountain is also a ORV area. I have went up there for years in my jeep and ran the rock pit late at night and also a few trails that are now closed. I would be more worried that a 500cc motorcycle would scare a deer rather than a shooter staying in one spot. Shoot it might not be as busy as Brownscamp but there are still alot of ATVs running around up there.

Jones creek is at the other end of the mtn, I ride there alot but dont ride up twards the top cause of all the shooting. Every now and again theres shooters that will come up the hill and go past the gravel pit, and continue down the other side not knowing theres designated marked dirtbike/quad trails all over there.I think the top by the gravel pit is only for mountian bikes, so you wont even hear them coming . There was a video on the jones creek site a while back taken by the Northwest quad riders from a helmet cam, and theres a line of 10 quads coming out one part of a trail by a old dead end road, and a guy is shooting literally right on the trail.

I worry about the same thing at browns camp, the pit gets over crowded and people shooting off the road somewhere else. Theres tails all over there too.

I hope eveyone stays mindfull of thier surroundings

no offense but i completely disagree. a target shooter should have enough respect to stay out of the woods for the 10 days that someone is tryin to bag a buck to feed their family. a target shooter should know how important hunting really is. and im not talkin about a responable target shooter in the first place. im sure the target shooters on here dont want to be considered for the same category as the target shooters up at larch mountain, drinking beer and spraying the woods. either way the respectful and resonable thing to do is stay outta the woods for 10 days. enough said

I have to disagree with this. Asking everyone to change there schedules and in all honesty inconvenience themselves to accommodate you is pretty rude. There are not many public areas to shoot. while there are large tracks of land that can be hunted. Asking the entire area that is used to shooting at a certain area to stop shooting because you are there is rude. Just my opinion.

I have to disagree with this. Asking everyone to change there schedules and in all honesty inconvenience themselves to accommodate you is pretty rude. There are not many public areas to shoot. while there are large tracks of land that can be hunted. Asking the entire area that is used to shooting at a certain area to stop shooting because you are there is rude. Just my opinion.

+1 :s0155:

I thought that they closed Larch Mt. to shooting a couple of years ago?

Well OK then....there are three Larch Mountains, right ? As I understand it:

Larch Mt one. In Washington, near Washougal ? Currently in use and accessible.

Larch Mt. two. In the Tillamook forrest, (not sure where exactly) Currently in use and accessible.

Larch Mt. three. This one, (the one I used to use years ago) was East of Corbett. It was closed after two teenagers took dad's AR-15 out and got into fight with another shooter who didn't want to share his shooting spot (the "Gallery") and ended up emptying a full mag on him.

There were three separate spots on this Larch Mt. , the Gallery, just off Larch Mt. Road at mp. 10, the quarry, a couple miles from the Gallery on Palmer Mill Road, and the clearcut, at the North end of Palmer Mill Road. This place was for years the place to shoot if you were coming from Portland, as it was pretty close. I take it that all three of these locations are still closed, can anyone confirm this ?

Is it legal to shoot at Larch Mountain...near Washougal, WA???

I have a friend who grew up near the Jones Creek side of Larch mtn. and he has been shooting out there for years. He and I have been out there about a half dozen times over the last year. We typically go in at Jones Creek and drive as far as we need to to get away from anybody. We are both self employed, so we typically go out there during the week because there is seldom anyone else out there.

Well, yesterday a buddy of mine picked up two new handguns and we were excited to break 'em in, so we headed out to Larch to shoot them. When we got to the entrance of Jones Creek there were two Sherrifs sitting in their trucks hanging out. We pulled up and politely asked how they were doing and if it was okay for us to do some target shooting.
They said "absolutely not"! "You are not allowed to do any shooting out here. We know a lot of people come out here and shoot, but it's not allowed".
One of the sherrifs was a nice guy and seemed happy to answer our questions, but the other one was...well, not so nice.

So, I'm confused. I've been up there several times. Seen lots of other people using the area to target practice, and to my understanding it's even open during hunting season for various species. What's the deal?
I don't think I would head back up there even if it is okay, because with my luck I would run into one of the Sherrifs who just told me that it was illegal.
Is there any where in Clark county where a law abiding individual can practice? I'm a member at Clark Rifles, but that doesn't always jive with my schedule.

Is it legal to shoot at Larch Mountain...near Washougal, WA???

I have a friend who grew up near the Jones Creek side of Larch mtn. and he has been shooting out there for years. He and I have been out there about a half dozen times over the last year. We typically go in at Jones Creek and drive as far as we need to to get away from anybody. We are both self employed, so we typically go out there during the week because there is seldom anyone else out there.

Well, yesterday a buddy of mine picked up two new handguns and we were excited to break 'em in, so we headed out to Larch to shoot them. When we got to the entrance of Jones Creek there were two Sherrifs sitting in their trucks hanging out. We pulled up and politely asked how they were doing and if it was okay for us to do some target shooting.
They said "absolutely not"! "You are not allowed to do any shooting out here. We know a lot of people come out here and shoot, but it's not allowed".
One of the sherrifs was a nice guy and seemed happy to answer our questions, but the other one was...well, not so nice.

So, I'm confused. I've been up there several times. Seen lots of other people using the area to target practice, and to my understanding it's even open during hunting season for various species. What's the deal?
I don't think I would head back up there even if it is okay, because with my luck I would run into one of the Sherrifs who just told me that it was illegal.
Is there any where in Clark county where a law abiding individual can practice? I'm a member at Clark Rifles, but that doesn't always jive with my schedule.
I've met him, he's an ***...

Shooting is legal in the top gravel pit, go straight at 4 corners, there's a sign at the bottom that says "No shooting for next mile". The gravel pit is legal.. Shooting at Jone's Creek is not legal AFAIK and that's what the Sheriff meant..

Check out English Pit out on 192nd and about the 15th block or so... $15 and there's a pistol/shotgun range, 50 yard rimfire and 50-100 yard rifle..

Thanks Hahns.

I'll check out the gravel pit next time.
I've driven past the English pit several times, but never had time to stop and check it out. Is it open everyday?

It's amazing how difficult it is to find a spot to shoot around here. :(

By the way...it's great how when we asked if there was any where around where we could go they both had no idea. You would think that since they were bragging about frequently chasing shooters out of the area, they might be armed with some knowledge about alternate locations for individuals to go. Of course, then they might come across as friendly.

Have shot up on Larch but it was a long time ago. I do not think it was at the gravel pit either. I am also a member of Clark Rifles but do not want to deal with them all he time:D I have also went to English pit and it is not that bad. I would rather have a membership fee than spend 15 bucks a pop but a good and close range. Here is some info http://www.englishpit.com/index.shtml

Thanks Hahns.

I'll check out the gravel pit next time.
I've driven past the English pit several times, but never had time to stop and check it out. Is it open everyday?

It's amazing how difficult it is to find a spot to shoot around here. :(

By the way...it's great how when we asked if there was any where around where we could go they both had no idea. You would think that since they were bragging about frequently chasing shooters out of the area, they might be armed with some knowledge about alternate locations for individuals to go. Of course, then they might come across as friendly.
It's usually open everyday... There's a schedule on the site..

Yeah, I like how one of those guys thinks it's perfectly OK to fly down my road at 70MPH too in his Sheriff's F150 with no lights or sirens on either, I'm not impressed with those guys..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top