JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The last 3 weekends we have been going up to larch for a couple hours and shooting everything from a 22 to an AR I made sure to get my discovery pass and just go have fun. Tonight my grandpa tells me its illegal to shoot anything other than a shotgun in clark county on public land, ive searched and cant find anything saying whats legal and not. Any help?

Hmmm. Highly suspect opinion. First, since when do the county commissioners have authority over state land (DNR, etc.)? Remember, counties are a creation of the state, not the other way around. State laws always pre-empt local regulations. As far as I know, DNR land is open (unless closed by a posting) to shooting. There are 2 easy ways to confirm this. First, call the county (the Clark County sheriff is empowered to enforce county ordinances, as well as state law), and ask. Second, call DNR, and ask them specifically about a certain DNR plot within Clark County.

Haha hes been here his entire life and an avid hunter hes part of the yacolt burn club and various gun clubs or I would have just laughed, there are people shooting everything up on larch I just dont want to be the guy that gets in trouble for shooting my hand guns on the mountain

Most likely your grandpa is referring to the "limited shooting" areas of Clark County under 9.12.026. This applies to any rural land within a city's growth boundary. On this land, only muzzleloaders and shotguns can be discharged.

<broken link removed>

Most likely your grandpa is referring to the "limited shooting" areas of Clark County under 9.12.026. This applies to any rural land within a city's growth boundary. On this land, only muzzleloaders and shotguns can be discharged.

<broken link removed>

This is it. Certain areas - usually where the residential density is high. Hunting limits (Shotgun, Handgun only) are a little farther but that is covered in the WDFW regs.

This is it. Certain areas - usually where the residential density is high. Hunting limits (Shotgun, Handgun only) are a little farther but that is covered in the WDFW regs.

All good points.

Under RCW 9.41.300 (1)(2)(a), municipalities can prohibit the discharge of firearms if there is a reasonable likelihood of damage. See the code: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.300

The WDFW regulations that you cite are actually state law, written in the Washington Administrative Code 232.28.248. The list of "firearms restricted zones" are specified here, and are not subject to expansion by the county authority. See the code: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=232-28-248. There are certain areas within Clark County listed.

I encourage the OP to check the sources. It is troubling to me to hear comments such as "...it's illegal to shoot anything other than a shotgun in clark county on public land..." without references. Based upon limited research, it seems that Clark County has restricted the discharge of rifles on rural lands within city limits---this is not the same as saying rifles cannot be discharged on all public lands within the county.

Thanks for raising this topic. Knowledge shall set us free.

I appreciate all the replys I just wanted to know it was ok to shoot on larch mountain

You're fine. I was out there a few months back function testing a 45acp that had work done. A marked SUV rolled up on me and all he was concerned with was that I had my Discovery Pass and that I was shooting against a elevated background.

When going out on Larch Mountain be aware of the posted signs. In a nutshell you need to get up on Larch Mountain far enough that it isn't a danger to other people that are out there. (Homes, hiking trails, etc.) There are signs posted along the roads.

You can shoot whatever you want in Clark county. Rifles, 50bmg, 22lr, etc. Only time that changes is if you are "hunting" in the battle ground or Yale units that have firearm restrictions in place for hunting.

I live in one of them units, I asked wdfw game warden Tom m, he said I can target shoot whatever I want as long as it is safe.

You can shoot whatever you want in Clark county. Rifles, 50bmg, 22lr, etc. Only time that changes is if you are "hunting" in the battle ground or Yale units that have firearm restrictions in place for hunting.

I live in one of them units, I asked wdfw game warden Tom m, he said I can target shoot whatever I want as long as it is safe.

Mikey, you have provided a great service here! After checking the WDFW regulations (P. 81) and the WAC listed above, I realized that you are correct: The "firearms restricted zones" actually apply only to the use of centerfire and rimfire rifles when used for hunting purposes.

Then, I checked my own local ordinance, which says: "It is unlawful for any person to discharge any firearm in the city of RRRRRRR where there is reasonable likelihood of injury to humans, domestic animals or property except upon a rifle or pistol firing range which has been issued a business license by the city for such purpose, provided that this prohibition does not apply to the discharge of firearms by law enforcement officers engaged in the performance of their official powers or duties."

I had no idea. I had always assumed the "firearms restricted zones" prohibited the discharge of centerfire and rimfire rifles, full stop. Not the case. Thanks again.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top