JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I lived in LA for a few years. There is a lot of shady things that happen and sort of get swept under the rug. I was completely unaware that it was OK to shoot someone running from you in the back. I am curious if someone with CHL shot someone running from them in the back, even if that person was armed, would get off.

Actually you can shoot someone in the back - depending on the circumstances.. One of which, to prevent escape if the officer reasonably believes the suspect will use deadly force against someone if they're not stoppped.

Actually it depends on the state. I can't remember which states allow a LEO to shoot a fleeing suspect but it s not the case in all states and in theory a LEO who does break the law can be prosecuted.

Seattle Cop, Ian Birk, shot the native American woodcarver Williams in the back, and killed him...Williams was walking away from Birk and had a piece of wood he was carving in one hand, and a CLOSED pen knife in the other. Investigation stated it was a wrongful death, but all that happened to Birk was he lost his job with the Seattle PD. Cost Seattle $1.3M and a statute of Williams in one of the Seattle Parks.

Williams' real crime? Contempt of cop, he did not stop when Birk yelled at him to stop.

Birk should have been tried and conviced of murder, but he's a cop you know. Not just LA, though LA is one of the worst for that stuff.

Actually you can shoot someone in the back - depending on the circumstances.. One of which, to prevent escape if the officer reasonably believes the suspect will use deadly force against someone if they're not stoppped.

Translation: cops are given total benefit of the doubt, civilians are given none whatsoever.

Seattle Cop, Ian Birk, shot the native American woodcarver Williams in the back, and killed him...Williams was walking away from Birk and had a piece of wood he was carving in one hand, and a CLOSED pen knife in the other. Investigation stated it was a wrongful death, but all that happened to Birk was he lost his job with the Seattle PD. Cost Seattle $1.3M and a statute of Williams in one of the Seattle Parks.

Williams' real crime? Contempt of cop, he did not stop when Birk yelled at him to stop.

Birk should have been tried and conviced of murder, but he's a cop you know. Not just LA, though LA is one of the worst for that stuff.

I saw that dashcam video and it is truly disturbing. It is an example of cold blooded murder.
For those that have not seen it, it is up on Youtube and I would suggest you watch it first, and then put yourself in the shoes of the man who was killed.
Watch the video and pay attention to how much time passes from the time the cop yells for him to drop the knife.
Now think, you are walking and thinking about something. How long will it take you before your brain even react to someone yelling. Answer - a lot longer than the amount of time he was given between the command to drop the knife and the shots were fired.

Translation: cops are given total benefit of the doubt, civilians are given none whatsoever.

Bad translation. The particular use of force is authorized by anyone. Cops do not get anymore legal leeway than a citizen. If I saw someone with a gun who was walking away from me and toward my wife in order to shoot them, I would be justified in shooting them in the back as well.

And they are incapable of lying in they eyes of a judge. Helps to maintain the police state.

I am not a cop, but that statement is not true. If an officer has been caught in a lie under oath, his testemony is no good after that, even if he is telling the truth. Those that do not lie, their testamony is good to go. Yes, they are given the benefit of the doubt most of the time, but some PD are going beyond dash cams here. Spokane has the law and the authorization for body cams (just not the budget money yet). Just as much for the civilian as the officer.

Questions as to who is lying, and who sees the situation with a different pair of eyes will be easier to differentiate when they get the body cams. I think they will be good for both the officers and the citizens.

but normally isn't

No disagreement there.

I can't help but wonder what happened in our society that has allowed such flagrant disregard for the law and the rights of people to become so common place amongst law enforcement. Also how is it they are not held responsible for their actions. I used to think that cops were held to the same or higher standard than civilians. Now they get away with murder (figuratively and literally) and all they do is lose a job. For the record I'm not saying all cops are bad but the number of incidents appear to be on the rise.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top