JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a student at LCC and have often had discussions with fellow students regarding conceal carry. Believe it or not...most students...including the extreme left leaning...believe in these rights. I guess even they see rights being taken away by the new environment of politics. Anyway, I by no means take credit for this article, but I do believe the frequent discussions around campus finally got attention and they addressed it. The following is copied from their newspaper site from Oct 29. Link:

<broken link removed>

The Baron's Den shooting Range plays host to LCC's concealed weapons certification course. The class is taught by Raye Gunter.

Licensed to carry

Firearms allowed on campus with concealed weapons permit
By: Brent Jones

Posted: 10/29/09

There is an ongoing debate over gun control at LCC. Current regulations ban firearms on campus, yet individuals who obtain a government permit are exempt from this rule.

There has been a lot of discussion and debate over the topic says Operations Manager of Public Safety Katherine Vos. "Firearms are not allowed here," Vos said. "However, if you have a concealed weapons permit you're allowed to carry."

According to Vos, when it comes to obtaining a concealed weapons permit individuals undergo a strict evaluation to ensure the safety of the public. "We're not too concerned with those folks that have concealed weapons," Vos said. "They're generally outstanding citizens. They've been scrutinized through the process to even get that concealed weapons permit."

While individuals with permits are allowed to carry guns on camps LCC board policy dictates that public safety officers are not provided with firearms. Many officers have concealed weapons permits but are not allowed to carry on campus.

Many feel allowing concealed weapons on campus puts public safety officers at a disadvantage. They won't know where the weapons are and can't match the threat. According to Vos, the best tool at a public safety officer's disposal is their voice. Using your brain and trying to get people to do what you want may help prevent crimes from taking place to begin with.

The root of the concern is at night when public safety operates with a reduced staff. "There's drug deals, there's selling," Vos said. "We find a lot of bad characters of crimes going on."

Kate Barry, Executive Dean of Student Affairs understands that public safety officers have a lot to deal with on campus, but doesn't think most of those situations can be improved with a gun. "There are people who, for very legitimate reasons, feel like concealed weapons add a dimension of safety. I don't personally agree with that," Barry said. "But we follow the legal requirements."

Raye Gunter works at the Baron's Den shooting range and teaches a concealed carry class at LCC. As part of his curriculum he teaches students a range of things, including proper gun etiquette. "We teach all different types of handgun safeties," Gunter said. "Different types of handguns ... how they operate ... different types of ammunition for different purposes." Gunter has taught this LCC class for approximately seven years. It's offered Fall, Winter and Spring terms, and if attendance is high, summer classes are taught as well.

According to Gunter, areas with a concentration of licensed individuals have seen a decrease in crime rates. "In incidences where people used firearms for illegal acts ...something like 0.07 percent of those are actually licensed concealed weapons holders." Gunter said. "There are steps in place to protect the public at large."
&#169; Copyright 2009 The Torch

***Note we will have to tell the campus police "got you covered" if an altercation takes place. I would support some kind of petition to get campus police legal CHL on campus. By all intents and purposes, they're just as trustworthy as the rest of us IF they have a CHL. I actually prefer they carry CHL instead of open carry so nutcases can't tackle and take.***

Last Edited:
http://www.oregonconcealedcarry.com/index.php?showtopic=728&pid=5331&mode=threaded&start=

Read in the LCC paper this afternoon that LCC has changed it's rules regarding weapons on campus. They changed their rules to agree with state law saying that only legal CHL holders may carry on campus.

But they also drafted a letter to the Oregon legislature requesting a change in the State laws regarding CHL's, changing the law to ban weapons in all schools.

But at least for now we've won.

Hahaha... like college rent-a-cops need to worry about armed students. All they do around here is roust the homeless and ticket kids for drinking.

I hope the U of O adopts this policy.

Kate Barry, Executive Dean of Student Affairs understands that public safety officers have a lot to deal with on campus, but doesn't think most of those situations can be improved with a gun. "There are people who, for very legitimate reasons, feel like concealed weapons add a dimension of safety. I don't personally agree with that," Barry said. "But we follow the legal requirements."

So if 51&#37; of situations can be improved with a gun, Kate Barry would support public safety officers carrying? Dang! I wouldn't go within 100 miles of any place requiring a gun 51%, or even 49%, of the time :s0131:

<broken link removed>

Last Edited:
But they also drafted a letter to the Oregon legislature requesting a change in the State laws regarding CHL's, changing the law to ban weapons in all schools.

That would be unconstitutional - Oregon's constitution.

Besides, the Oregon Legislature recently passed a law making it legal to carry on school campuses and that's probably what triggered (pun intended) this.

Remember the big fuss about the female high school teacher in Medford who was CCW because of an abusive ex? The school told her to stop CCW. She sued. Before the suit could be resolved, our legislature passed the new law and made the issue moot.

Oregon's constitution has a much stronger and more direct right to keep and bear than the US constitution does.

"Many feel allowing concealed weapons on campus puts public safety officers at a disadvantage. They won't know where the weapons are and can't match the threat"

What a ridiculous statement. The "threat" isn't from the legally carried handguns!
If they banned all handguns, concealed or otherwise, it would just mean more people would die in a mass shooting.
The shooters aren't going to be concerned about breaking the rules about concealed carry.
Honestly, how do these people manage to get jobs as public safety officers with this type of thinking?

"Many feel allowing concealed weapons on campus puts public safety officers at a disadvantage. They won't know where the weapons are and can't match the threat"

What a ridiculous statement. The "threat" isn't from the legally carried handguns!
If they banned all handguns, concealed or otherwise, it would just mean more people would die in a mass shooting.
The shooters aren't going to be concerned about breaking the rules about concealed carry.
Honestly, how do these people manage to get jobs as public safety officers with this type of thinking?

Thay went to colladge an there profs toll them that. Besides, they watch the mainstream media. Dan "I'd Rather not" toll them that.

There are two existing cases in the Oregon Court of Appeals on this issue. One is the Medford School District case, in which the question is whether the district has the right under ORS 166.170 to bar its employees from bringing guns to work. That case has been fully argued, and the court is going to issue a decision in the next few months.

The other, brought by OFA, challenges the rules of the Oregon University System banning guns from state university campuses, arguing that under ORS 166.170, OUS doesn't have the authority to impose campus rules regarding guns. That case hasn't even been briefed yet, so it will be a year or more before it's decided.

The legislature has backed off for now and certainly has NOT passed any recent legislation on the issue.

No they didn't. I wish people like Gunner would refrain from posting when they don't know what they're talking about.

There are two existing cases in the Oregon Court of Appeals on this issue. One is the Medford School District case, in which the question is whether the district has the right under ORS 166.170 to bar its employees from bringing guns to work. That case has been fully argued, and the court is going to issue a decision in the next few months.

The other, brought by OFA, challenges the rules of the Oregon University System banning guns from state university campuses, arguing that under ORS 166.170, OUS doesn't have the authority to impose campus rules regarding guns. That case hasn't even been briefed yet, so it will be a year or more before it's decided.

The legislature has backed off for now and certainly has NOT passed any recent legislation on the issue.

My bad. You're right. It was only proposed. Carry on... :)

Can the legislature change the constitution in this state? My impression is the people would have to vote a change. But who knows, politicians just do what they want and wait for a judge to tell them their wrong....if you can find a judge that actually follows the constitution also.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top