Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Landscape rock fountain question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Oregonhunter5, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Oregonhunter5

Oregonhunter5 2C IDAHO Well-Known Member

hey. So I've been thinking about locating a rock that has a holed drilled through it, and you know, the waters bubbles over. We like the noise. Now I know ponds and water falls can be a total pain to deal with, but these seem more basic.
    Anyone have one?
    Cost?
    Cost to run pump?
    Something simple.

Thanks!

2. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I had one years ago and put a pond back in as I liked it better than the rock.

But Rock will probably cost you 50 to 100 bucks or more.
    Liner is about 40 to 50 cents a SQ FT
    You will need some other rocks around it so another 20 to 40 depending on what you pick out.
    Pump well all depends on how many gallons a hour you go. Mine was about 200 or so maybe more and it is about 3000 GPH. Most pumps can be had for about 100 bucks.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot and they might have some helpful hints or other ways tht you can get the bubbling water sound and maybe even cheaper.

Good Luck!

3. Oregonhunter5

How much money per month in electricity did the pump run you?
    I was guessing a rock with a holed drilled through it would be about 500.00

4. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

To be honest I could not tell you. Maybe 10 to 20 but who knows I really never keep track and with 2 kids ad a wife sucking up juice......

Rock I had was about 1 to 2 feet tall and weighed about 150lbs or more and I sold it on Craigslist for 75 bucks about 5 years ago. Just look around you might find a good deal.

5. 45alive

45alive South Douglas County- Orygun Well-Known Member

Go on You Tube and type in your question, also Google Images has good ideas.:s0102:

6. no time

no time Roseburg area Active Member

If there are any old volcanic areas that are anywhere close to you, look for pumice. We found several decent sized chunks off of old logging roads north of the Crater Lake park. You can drill a hole through a pumice rock in seconds and there's the added bonus of the light weight making it easy to handle.

oknow likes this.
  7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

You could go with a pot instead of a rock.. falls in water instead of on rock so I'd think it more efficient in making noise.

th?&id=JN.Rbrr7Uuhigu5aZEqqyCr9Q&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  8. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I built a water fountain that looks similar to this picture, except I used a very large ceramic crock for the base tub.
    I added a tee fitting and a ball valve at the base, so I could regulate the volume of water that was lifted to the tea kettle.
    That way, you could fine tune the sound of the falling water.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRJfvRz2X26fpHfNU-X19akNEfQztOoG4-SGumuWlQoAY-Bmy5hg.jpg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://www.hometalk.com/600572/tea-pot-fountain-instructions&ei=bdSKVcnLOti3oQTSjrmACw&bvm=bv.96440147,d.cGU&psig=AFQjCNFeeviC1-UQPqkqbGEzHfi2d7jtHQ&ust=1435248109113508

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  9. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Many of the large landscape suppliers have drilled rocks we used to have a couple old boys come out and do it on site at the yard i worked at. No idea on the costs but the landscape people will

10. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

Those pumps will be incredibly cheap to run:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Total-Po...MD11300/202017049?N=5yc1vZc9r9#specifications

300 GPH, draws 1 amp, or 120W. I'm not sure what your KWH in Idaho runs, but it should be less than $0.10 per KWH.

Power (Watts) = Amps * Volts, or VA

24 hours per day, 30 days per month = 720 hours in a given month. Multiply by your W, and you get 86.4 KWH. Assuming $0.10 per KWH, you get $8.64 to run your pump continuously all month.

45alive likes this.
  11. TJdamon

TJdamon Gladstone Member

If you ever make it to the Portland/ Milwaukie area you can have this one. It's about 20" tall.

image.jpg

12. Oregonhunter5

Your a stud. But are you giving it up cause it's a pain to maintain?

13. TJdamon

TJdamon Gladstone Member

No, this was an extra one we got from a friend.
    I still have the one I had in my backyard water feature. I took mine out because we had kids and I didn't want to try and kid proof it. I still miss the sound of the running water.
    The maintaining part wasn't too bad as long as you had good water flow, the lower pool area of my old one used to algae up in the summer. I added a small bubbler fountain in it and it helped a lot

14. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

Just pick up something like one of those big Greek urns from a garden center, chip a hole in the bottom run a pipe to the top and fill with sand and gravel...

What's a Greek urn?
    About $6.50 an hour.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Certaindeaf likes this.
  15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Yea, it wasn't funny the first time. lol

solv3nt and albin25 like this.