JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Hoping to pick some knowledgeable anglers brains about a prospective summer fishing vaca next year to Tenmile lake. My sons about that age and wan't to introduce him to the joys of fishing that my grandpa introduced to me to. I started lake fishing (Bass, Panfish & Perch) and have since branched out to all fishing:D.

After some personal research online I thought Tenmile Lake looked looked like a perfect getaway close to home with lots of warm water species and a great reputation for bass. It has some lakefront cabins at reasonable rates and boat rentals seem fair and easily accessible in the area. My research is limited which is why I'd love to hear any opinions or knowledge on the place.

Is it overcrowded during summer months? Overfished? Lack of natural beauty or quiet coves? Appreciate any info. On this place or any other lakes you think might fit the Bill.

Thanks & Happy Fishin':)

Last Edited:
I kind of surprised that the firearms community isn't more into fishing?

I've not had much experience with Ten Mile. I do my fishing up further around the Florence area. Some places to check out for you would be ....Mercer Lake Resort, beautiful setting with fishing for trout, perch and bass. Siltcoos Lake, Westlake Resort, (My go to) and Fish Mill Lodges. Fish for perch, trout and bass. Tahkenitch Lake, no resorts and you really need a boat as there's very little bank access at Tahkenitch. Tahkenitch does have a couple of rentals though. One is on hwy 101, the other is a fully self contained floating home that has some real good reviews. Google is your friend! There's a bunch of smaller lakes in that area, some with better bank access than others, all holding fish. Most will be better early in the year if you're after trout as they stop planting in the early summer.

I looked at some of the rentals on line on Ten Mile Lakes, some awful nice places $$ for sure.

Mike

Hey Mike thanks for the great info! It is a bit surprising that few members here seem to be fisherman... Google has been a good friend in the search indeed :) and I fish.net is another great resource I've been using. I'm definitely gonna do some more research on the lakes you've listed.

I was drawn to Tenmile Lake for its size, relative distance, warm water fish reputation, and on water access to boat rentals(no towing). I've been shore fishing the Mckenzie this year with decent luck on Rainbows with my laughable fly-fishing, but nothing to write home about which has increased my itch for some good Ole' bass fishin'.

Best case scenario for me is a cabin or rental with a dock out front for the rental boat and a nice town relatively close by where the wife and in-law can window shop and occupy themselves while the guys fish. I'd love to hook up some nice bass, trout ect., but would be just as happy if my son was hookin' Blue-gill with a smile.

Wanna give him the positive introduction to the sport I had as a kid so he can grow to love it as much as I do. Catching fish is only a small part of the great experience of fishing, but a fish fry at the end of the day is icing on the cake.:D

Love to hear from any other anglers opinions on spots or suggestions

My family had a cabin on North Tenmile Lake that they sold in the 90s. When we first bought the cabin the fishing was amazing. So many pan fish they would hit a bare hook. Lots of bass, bullheads, bluegill and trout. We caught several rainbow trout one summer that exceeded 5 lbs.

Some time in the 80s ODFW planted hybrid bass and they got huge. It was a very productive fishery for a while, but after a couple years all forms of fishing got terrible. I think these things ate everything else, and the big smart ones were not getting caught. Hybrid bass as sterile so they don't reproduce, at least that is what ODFW claimed. It is my understanding the fishing has improved but it isn't back to what it once was.

It is a beautiful are just like all the other coastal lakes. Both North and South Tenmile lakes are ringed with houses though. Two of the few lakes in Oregon where lake front homes takes up more of the shoreline that native vegetation. Not saying that is a bad thing but if you plan on picking your nose, there is a good chance someone will see you doing it.

Hey Otter thanks for the informative post. I think most of what you said turned me off to the prospects of a Tenmile trip (especially the nose picking analogy lol:D), so thanks for saving me the disappointment. Sorry to hear one of someone else's favorite childhood haunts has been ruined by crowds and government intervention. You have any spots you'd recommend in OR. or WA. that are less urbanized and with more serene surroundings and wildlife with the prospect of Bass and panfish?

P.S. Mikej Mercer lake and Siltcoos look way more up my alley for my trip essentials and want's than Tenmile thanks again for the recommendation. Westlake Resort looks pretty awesome.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top