JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
I have around a thousand pieces of once fired .223/5.56 that I plan on reloading. The problem is, I don't currently have any .223/5.56 rifles. I have prepped 20 of these, but before I do the rest of the batch, I need to check feeding/extraction in an AR. I have full length sized the brass with an RCBS FL size die, removed the primer pocket crimp with the RCBS swager, trimmed with a Lee zip trim, primed by hand (Lee auto prime) with a CCI400.

I want to make sure that my sizing die sizes enough for the rounds to chamber in an AR type rifle. Sometimes a small base die must be used to get .223 to feed reliably in an AR. I want to make sure I don't need to run this brass through a small base die in order to feed it to an AR type rifle in the future.

so, I have 20 fully prepped cases that I would like to give away for free, you just have to load them up, and shoot them out of your AR and let me know if they chamber and extract easily.

all the cases are once fired, Lake city headstamped, and prepped as described above.

I'm confused. I use only Lake City brass and I've never had to do more than resize with my Lee dies. I'd like to hear more about this "small base die" when using a 5.56 chamber. ?? I have to admit I never even heard of it.

If those empty prepped cases will slip nicely in and out of a chamber by hand (working the bolt by hand,) why would you have to load and fire them to arrive at a conclusion?

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just new to me and I've loaded and fired lots of 5.56 now.

??

a standard full length size die does not size the base of the case, you can see where the sizing die stops sizing by looking at the case after sizing.

small base dies also size the entire case just barely smaller than regular dies to ensure functioning in semi-auto rifles.

cycling the cases by hand doesn't duplicate the full speed cycle of operations, and doesn't tell you if the case will cycle freely while actually being fired.

btw, Lee doesn't even make a small base .223 die. They might not even be necessary, but i've heard that sometimes, in an AR specifically, they become necessary for reliable cycling.

a standard full length size die does not size the base of the case, you can see where the sizing die stops sizing by looking at the case after sizing.

small base dies also size the entire case just barely smaller than regular dies to ensure functioning in semi-auto rifles.

cycling the cases by hand doesn't duplicate the full speed cycle of operations, and doesn't tell you if the case will cycle freely while actually being fired.

btw, Lee doesn't even make a small base .223 die. They might not even be necessary, but i've heard that sometimes, in an AR specifically, they become necessary for reliable cycling.

OK, Thanks. FWIW, 1500+ rounds with my Lake City brass reloads using the same Lee die set and NO problems in the AR.

I buy once-fired LC brass by the 1k lot from a police range and reload them several times. This is just the first time I've ever heard of this being an issue.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top