1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Lake City 5.56 62 grain Ammo tin ( 420 rounds) NOT FOR DUTY USE ??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by John Gault, May 24, 2011.

1. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I bought one of these tins from Cabela's last week for 159.00 + 5.00 shipping. 420 rounds on stripper clips and came in a steel ammo can. Got it today and the the tin says "not for duty use". Is that standard for all XM193 ammo sold? Should that worry me any?

2. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

XM193 is factory seconds.....that's why the "no duty use". Nothing to worry about, it's still nicer than a lot of "1st run" ammo out there...
  3. Mr.B

Mr.B Hippyville Active Member

I saw that ammo and wondered the same thing.
  4. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Perhaps the reason for the "X". Military issue is "M-193". Also look for the nato 0 with the + in it. If not on the headstamp it's not NATO spec'd ammo. Could be slow stuff like the PMC and AE.
  5. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

IIRC M193 has never been NATO ammo so there is no nato spec for it. M193 is 55gr, M855 62gr and is the US version of SS109 (which does have a NATO spec). The Lake City/Federal M193 stuff I've gotten always chronos right there with what it's supposed to (3200-3300fps from a 20" bbl). Picked up some M855 but haven't shot it yet.
    I'm pretty sure most of them are marked not for duty use since the military gets all the tier 1 stuff and anything else goes to the civilian market as surplus. Like Unka-Boo said, it's still some of the best 55gr and 62gr ammo out there.