JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
2 new woes with the two rifles.
18" rifle:
  1. Got the 18" to eject (real good BTW) but it refuses to lock open. (7.62 or .308 ammo)
  2. No amount of adjustment on the gas block helps.
16" rifle:
  1. I resized once fired factory Federal .308 brass, using 2 different RCBS small base full length dies. The full length-ed brass was trimmed to 2.005". I used/tried two different sets of dies because the resized brass didn't let the bolt close using my NEW dies. I let the bolt release slam a blank chambered round home. Now the brass is stuck and I have to force/drive the charging handle back in order to eject the brass.

Only way to get the resized brass to chamber was to mill .025" off my #3 shell holder. (Licensed armorer with 35 years of experience installed barrel & set headspace.) Armorer milled the top of the shell holder to get the brass to seat deeper into the die. That allowed the brass to chamber.

Since both RCBS small base FL/dies produced the same results, I'm left wondering if I have chamber issues with my barrel.

If I fire new Federal/Aguila ammo, I can resize it with an unmodified shell holder & it will chamber just fine.

Frankly, we're at a loss here on why some resized brass will chamber & others won't. Any ideas? FWIW, I've been reloading since 1965. Bolt actions only, no semi-auto' s like this.

Dan

2 new woes with the two rifles.
18" rifle:
  1. Got the 18" to eject (real good BTW) but it refuses to lock open. (7.62 or .308 ammo)
  2. No amount of adjustment on the gas block helps.
16" rifle:
  1. I resized once fired factory Federal .308 brass, using 2 different RCBS small base full length dies. The full length-ed brass was trimmed to 2.005". I used/tried two different sets of dies because the resized brass didn't let the bolt close using my NEW dies. I let the bolt release slam a blank chambered round home. Now the brass is stuck and I have to force/drive the charging handle back in order to eject the brass.

Only way to get the resized brass to chamber was to mill .025" off my #3 shell holder. (Licensed armorer with 35 years of experience installed barrel & set headspace.) Armorer milled the top of the shell holder to get the brass to seat deeper into the die. That allowed the brass to chamber.

Since both RCBS small base FL/dies produced the same results, I'm left wondering if I have chamber issues with my barrel.

If I fire new Federal/Aguila ammo, I can resize it with an unmodified shell holder & it will chamber just fine.

Frankly, we're at a loss here on why some resized brass will chamber & others won't. Any ideas? FWIW, I've been reloading since 1965. Bolt actions only, no semi-auto' s like this.

Dan

Did it feel normal during resizing? Federal .308 brass has a horrible reputation.

Same buffer spring & weight in both guns. Swapping lowers had no effect.
Resizing operation--Normal or really easy
This is driving me nuts... I'm 'almost' at the juncture of removing the barrel and sending it back for a check..and that irks me backside.

Dan

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top