JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Being able to collect chronograph and group data simultaneously is becoming important to me, so I've decided it's finally time to ditch the light sensor chronograph. Getting it aligned just to get good chrono data is bad enough, trying to align on a target as well is next to impossible. Add in the regular issues around the light sensor machines, and it begs the question, why did I wait so long? Price isn't my primary concern, but ease of use and consistent accuracy are. The two most common cons I see on these two are:

Labradar, fiddly to get setup and on target. Also issues with dropping shots, not a good thing when you're doing load workups and only firing 3-5 shots.
Magnetospeed, POI shift when installed, and some have also had mounting issues.

On the M, I'm not concerned with POI shift as long as it doesn't also impact group size. Does it also impact group size, and if so, how badly? And is it all the time on every gun, or just some guns and some of the time?

On the LR, I know there are cheap and easy "fixes" for the aiming issue, but are they really effective? I also know there are other not so cheap fixes, but I'm not real interested in dropping significant coin for needed "improvements" on a machine that's already significantly more expensive to start with. And just how fiddly is it to get setup? Not real interested in trading one set of time wasting hassles for another.

Still doing research, but I'm leaning toward the V3 as the most appropriate for my needs, assuming it doesn't totally hose my rifle's performance at the target. But if you think the Labradar is all that and a bag of chips, I'd like to know how and why. Any other thoughts will also be much appreciated. Later.

Dave

I am still happy with my v3 magnetospeed. It does shift poi slightly but I have not found it to affect group sizes. Absolutely one of the best tools for the serious reloader. Lab radar guys seem to like them overall but seem a little less fool proof from my limited exposure.

Had the Magnetospeed V3 and am now a happy Labradar owner. Don't miss the Magnetospeed at all. Not sure why folks have such a hard time setting up the labradar, I have a carpenters speed square in my bag, use that to line up the labradar with the target, takes about 5-seconds and then you turn it on and start shooting. Magnetospeed was a great improvement over traditional chronographs but is awkward in comparison to the labradar. Also nice to get velocity data at more than a single distance/point.

If you are wanting to shoot groups at the same time, you run the risk of altering your barrel harmonics and thus groups, any time you strap something to the barrel. I never saw any known accurate loads have significant impacts to grouping by strapping on the magnetospeed but in my rifles I did seem slight increase in group size normally but not always. A half inch load might go to 3/4" or 1" for example.

You have chosen two good options. Pick the one that most closely matches your needs.

Went from light to magnetospeed and wish I had spent a few more $$ and gone for Labradar.
Magnetospeed is useless for semiauto carry pistols or short barreled revolvers. Labradar not.
[edit to add] you need about 4 - 5" of exposed barrel to mount a Magnetospeed. I have three ARs I cannot mount it on because the fore end only gives ~2" of exposed barrel. [/edit]
Magnetospeed is more of a PITA to set up than Labradar, watching guys set theirs up. If you don't set the gap properly, you will miss readings too on light calibers (223, 204). Set the gap too closely, and it *will* impact your POI significantly (feet). And then you have the damned loosening of the Magnetospeed in the course of firing 50 shots....

Last Edited:
Thank you, guys, this is exactly the info I was looking for. I'd forgotten the issue of shooting handguns with the Magnetospeed, I know they have a rail adapter, but only one of my 4 handguns has a rail. Looks like my lean is shifting :D. Thanks!

Dave

I use my magneto speed on my semi auto SBR with and without the can with zero issues. It is a nice setup. I have had it slip off of a polished steel barrel with a taper profile once, but I probably didn't have it tightened enough. Solved with a strip of silicone under the strap.

I plan on getting a labradar soon for long range BC data/truing for a precision build.

They are both great at what they do.

I went from a 20 dollar RCBS (for those perfect days!) and then to magneto speed until the pistols started yelling foul play. There is a special liking aspect of magnetospeed set up wise but by far have no regrets with the Labradar and wished it had been available to me long ago.
Chronographs soon fall to the dusty cupboards for many, but if the need is there, this is one item I would rely heavily on computations up till I had squirreled away enough money to buy the lab.

I've been pleased with my LabRadar. No experience with the magnetospeed, so I can't compare. Once you figure out navigating through the menus, it is pretty easy to use., even more so when using the app on my iPhone to control it. The initial cost is not insignificant, but the ease of use for a wide range of guns, and being able to set it up while the range is hot (nothing to set up forward of the firing line) were both significant factors for my purchase decision. Picked it up from. Brownells when they were on sale, plus a discount they were offering, so it softened the blow. I did add an external rechargeable battery pack from Amazon, and a nice aluminum mount from a guy on Benchrest Central, both of which I have appreciated, along with the padded carrying case they sell for it.

Count me as another happy LabRadar owner. I have had a little bit of learning to do but mostly due to the fact that I am running suppressed most of the time. As mentioned already, the battery pack from Amazon is a great addition. Also MK Machine sells a nice little 3-D printed aiming device that is pretty affordable. Never really had problems with aiming. Mostly use mine at the 100 yard range but have used it at the 1000 yards with good success also.

Haven't used the Magneto but used a light sensor before. LabRadar is so much easier than the Shooting Chrony.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top