JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was researching a new chronograph for rifle shooting. I currently have an Chrony optical chronograph for pistol I can easily set up on the Action Range at Tri-County Gun Club, but I decided it would be pretty inconvenient when trying to measure the muzzle velocity of my bolt rifles on the 100 yard range at TCGC.
I have seen a number of people using the MagnetoSpeed chronograph on the 100 yard range at TCGC, but this unit attaches to your barrel and I would prefer something that works as a standalone device. Consequently, I decided to go with the Labradar chronograph. It's a bit more money, but it doesn't attach to your gun and you can use it with rifle or pistol.
My assumption is the Labradar should work well on the 100 yard range at TCGC, but I've never actually seen one being used there. Do any of you know if it would work on that range?
Thanks.

I use my LabRadar at both the 100 and 200/300 ranges at TCGC without issue.

I'd recommend checking the website to confirm that you have the most recent firmware installed on your device. It makes a difference.

That's great - thanks for the response!
I just purchased it direct from Labradar (it arrives this coming Wednesday), so it seems safe to assume it has the latest firmware installed from the get-go. But just to be sure, I will reach out to the people at Labradar to double-check.
Anyway, thanks again for the response. I do appreciate it.

I started low cost but tired real quickly of ambient light issues so eventually went to Magnetospeed. I liked it very much but while real convenient in set up for barreled guns, not able to perform on semi auto pistols and the like, ultimately lamenting not spending the extra bucks for the radar.
Labradar: worth the money in my book, if you have a need for such things. I have yet to see its performance past 100 yards as I do not belong to a range and have not found a safe spot in the woods locally to set up a target beyond that.
That said, If you are confidant of your existing chronographs report on muzzle velocity, Using that info, there are many internet offerings from powder and bullet manufactures to sporting entities that will fairly accurately calculate speed at different ranges given the cartridges components used, saving you big bucks on the radar.
One admonition for Labradar; Bring extra batteries or buy a larger support battery. I just go with the extra AA's because Chargeable batteries like to be used more than my radar gets used after the initial use slows down. I remove my batteries when not in use because my storage bag will allow the on off button to get pushed in transit if things bump against it. (learned the hard way)Also, you can find SD cards much cheaper than sold by them, or where ever you bought the unit at. You will need one if you intend to save or transfer data to a computer. I paid nine bucks on sale at an office supply for a 2gig which is an overkill.

Point taken thorborg. I decided to puchase a 20000mAh external battery (it will also charge my MacBook Pro and phone), a decent micro USB cable to attach the Labradar to the battery, a 16GB SDHC card which I picked up on Amazon for $6.00, and a good quality tabletop tripod (I already have a good quality Manfrotto for my spotting scope if I need to mount the Labradar at shoulder height for pistol shooting). So I should be good to go.
It seems a lot of people really like the MagnetoSpeed and I really struggled between the two, but the MagnetoSpeed is not terribly well suited for chronographing pistol reloads. That's why I decided to go with the Labradar. Besides, I have a few bolt guns I reload for with different barrel profiles and the Labradar will save me some headaches swapping a MagnetoSpeed from barrel to barrel.

Point taken thorborg. I decided to puchase a 20000mAh external battery (it will also charge my MacBook Pro and phone), a decent micro USB cable to attach the Labradar to the battery,
I would have gone that route too if I had a cell phone and other things but don't, so figured the battery wouldn't get used enough. I bought my daughter one of those external battery because she uses her cell for maps all day at work which depleted her phone battery by noon, she said it is a life saver for all day or heavy electronic users.
I guy I met bought some velcrow strapping to attached his external battery to his tripod, keeps it out of the dirt or off his shooting table.

it seems safe to assume it has the latest firmware installed from the get-go.

Likely. But even if it isn't, it's not difficult loading new firmware. The owner's manual and website explain how.

One admonition for Labradar; Bring extra batteries or buy a larger support battery.

Agreed. Using an external battery works well for me.

a good quality tabletop tripod

I find a standing tripod more useful simply because you want the device even with your muzzle and my muzzle usually sticks out over the end of the table.

Likely. But even if it isn't, it's not difficult loading new firmware. The owner's manual and website explain how.

Agreed. Using an external battery works well for me.

I find a standing tripod more useful simply because you want the device even with your muzzle and my muzzle usually sticks out over the end of the table.
Yes, I watched their video on where to place the Labradar and they recommend even with the front of the barrel - especially if your rifle has a muzzle break that drives the gases out the sides and back towards the shooter (which two of my rifles do). In those situations, I can use my full size Manfrotto tripod for the Labradar and move my spotting scope to the adjacent bench attached to the new table top tripod. I'm pretty sure my setup will be flexible enough for any situation - at least that's the hope.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top