Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

LA - Police Stole Handguns?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RicInOR, Nov 13, 2015.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Forced open a metal reinforced closed - and took handguns, leaving rifle and shotguns.
    is that Stole?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/nov/12/dan-bilzerian-los-angeles-cops-took-guns-without-w/

" Meanwhile an alarm for a security system to the house was triggered, summoning police. The burglars escaped before police arrived, but once on scene, the officers turned their attention to the firearms they believed were in the home.

It’s unclear exactly why police forced their way inside the closet where the guns were stored. Officers asked Mr. Bilzerian’s assistant and security guard for permission to break into the room but the aides declined, but the officers accessed it anyway, Mr. Bilzerian said.

“They broke into our closet and took them after we were burglarized,” said Mr. Bilzerian’s assistant Jeremy Guymon. “It’s not like we were doing anything wrong.”

The responding officers confiscated nine firearms supposedly under the premise that they wanted to secure the home in case the burglars attempted a second break-in, Mr. Bilzerian said. But strangely, the officers left behind an arsenal of shotguns and a high-powered semiautomatic carbine rifle like the ones used by special operations troops."

2. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

To serve and protect. :s0153:

3. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Yet another fine example of our finest.
    Street Pirates.

Slobray likes this.
  4. Lance Jacobs

Lance Jacobs South Willamette Valley Oregon Well-Known Member

I had an awesome single shot .22 LR Anschutz 54 model 1907 ISU Standard target rifle that the Oakland Police department tried to steal from my family. My Dad bought it for me to compete on my college's rifle team. However, it was was later stolen in a burglary from my family's home.

The Oakland, California PD called my Dad several years later, saying that they had recovered the rifle in a drug bust. Other than a few bad scratches and nicks on the stock, the rifle was in great shape, and did not appear to have even been fired while it was stolen.

Although the police reported the recovery to my Dad, they balked at returning it to him. He told me that they tried their best to convince him to not insist on getting it returned to him. They told him that since he had been compensated by his insurance company for the rifle, that his insurance company was now the legal owner of the firearm. And that he had to get a letter from his insurance agent releasing the rifle to him, before he could legally claim it.

Well, my Dad went and got such a release from his insurance company, and finally went to go pick the rifle up. When he did, though, an officer from the evidence department profusely apologized to him when he gave him the rifle. And that was because the bolt for the rifle was now missing. The officer admitted to him that the rifle did indeed have the bolt when it was put in inventory, and that somehow, the bolt had managed to go missing. Boy, was my Dad ever royally ticked off!

So while the rifle was returned to him, it was returned in non-functioning condition. My Dad ordered a replacement bolt, and had the stock refinished by a gunsmith. With the new finish job on the stock, the rifle actually ended up looking even better than it did before.

However, I never did pursue competitive rifle target shooting any further. The rifle was so big and heavy, that it really was not good for anything else. So my Dad eventually sold the rifle.

My Dad always felt that some officer on the force probably wanted the rifle for himself.

Slobray and Dyjital like this.