JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never move a body!!!! Outside may not be a bad thing. He could have left the house turned around and started back toward the homeowner as he was investigating what was going on. He was also threatening the homeowner and his families life. That is why the Castle doctrine is so important. Forensics is not like CSI, they dont have 14 crime lab techs for every body and it cant do everything, but that said- Never move a body- well of course, unless you are trying to revive the person you just shot:). I hope the homeowner doesent get in trouble, I just hope he wasnt in King or Pierce County.

Clark co, normally just as bad.

Believe it or not, (40 or so) years ago, I was told the same thing, "If you shoot him on the doorstep, just make sure he falls inside the house". Never had to, the cops caught the guy before he could cause me any more grief.

However, there are a lot of reasons the homeowner may be ok..that is the problem with teh news, you only get half a story. That the homeowner has not been arrested is in his favor.

You know, here in OR we're entitled to use force to defend property, and if Mr. Perp makes the mistake of charging the homeowner who confronts him, then the homeowner has every right to use lethal force to defend himself against the attack. I assume it's more or less the same in WA.

I wonder if we'll ever hear whether the holes in Mr. Perp are in the front or the back? I'd also like to hear about his record. I'm all for giving dumb kids lots of second chances, but not endlessly throughout their wasted adult lives.

We just don't know if the bad guy was a threat - or if he had ever been a threat to anyone. It's not like the homeowner caught him inside his house. It'd be a shame to find out he was a teenage ninja who was only sneaking around at night for thrills.

Now if he was just another tweaker swiping something to trade for his next rock, then he was bent on suicide anyway, case closed.

We ask this a lot.Was the guy a bad guy or just a stupid kid?
Are we supposed to sit down and ask him? Maybe have a form for him ti fill out?
Sir,are you going to take the TV without incident,or are you going to confront me for some cash?
Will you be needing to rape my wife or daughter? Kill my 2 yo son? Me?

When seconds count,and the police are just minutes away,how are we to decide what the intruder's mind set is?
Yes I know I posted this in another thread,but is still stands true.We have no idea,since we don't have a degree in criminal psychology,what the intruder's plan is.What his mind set is for today.Which may differ greatly form day to day,since we don't sit around and watch how much drugs he does.

Someone comes in your house,you must decide he is a threat to your safety and that of your loved ones.
And take appropriate action ....immediately.

I agree, mjbkswim, but he didn't go into anybody's house.

You should check out the followup articles in the news today. Apparently Mr. Parnel had been working at the same crummy job for eight years. Rather than being the "hulk of a man" that Mrs. Larsen described, he's 125 lbs.

And check out this reader comment:
"I went to high school with the killer, Leland Larsen. I hope he's sent to jail and then prison, for the rest of his life. He was a younger class-mate but was a puck and liar then and apparently still is. IMO, his wife is nutty too."

<broken link removed>

Where are all Mr. Larsen's friends when he needs them to vouch for him?

We still don't know the full story. Not every shooting by a homeowner is justified.

Heresay by someone who either does not like him even with cause, or is lying for whatever reason is not evidence. Mr Larsen is innocent until proven guilty

While I support the homeowner 100%, if he went outside to see what the guy was doing and shot him for a property theft crime, he, the homeowner may be in trouble.

LINK SENT TO ME
Police: Suspect dies after being shot in La Center home invasion
KPTV - FOX 12 - Portland, OR News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | Oregon
Clark County Sheriff's deputies are investigating a home invasion at a La Center home that ended in the homeowner shooting the suspect.
MY RESPONSE
I saw all of the flashing lights last night. Pretty sad that the guy died, that's what happens when people have guns. It does not sound like he was in their home, but was on their property. I DO know this...young or old he was someone child, my heart goes out to his family. Very sad no matter what the details are.
Hi, it always sucks when someone dies. But we really do need to preserve our rights to own guns, what if the guy was in the house with a gun? If we could not own guns than guess who would be the only one with them, cops & crooks. No thanks, I will protect myself. But you are right it is very sad.
MY RESPONSE
I am not really up in "the right to" debate. Matter-of-fact I don't think I have ever voiced any opinion at all. I can however think back and count the many gun related travesties that have impacted my life. I alone, over the years have had 2 friends take their own lives with a gun. I have been impacted in varying degrees by at least 5 gun related "accidents" that paralyzed, disfigured or ended in a death. Also an "in the line of duty" aftermath of a trigger happy officer who reacted out of emotion. I don't think I am alone as most people can offer up at least a couple horrible stories that would have never happened if there was not a gun available. That being said, I do not know of anyone, not even one who has had their home robbed by a gun toting burglar. I have also traveled to 2 other countries that do not allow personal gun ownership, where even the police only carry Billy clubs. These officers do not have to make the choice of shooting another human being because most crimes do not involve a gun and they manage to maintain amazingly low crime rates. So...if my life has been altered even slightly by one of these incidences, I can safely say that there are many, many other people (family and friends) who become the involuntarily victims. They are the ones that suffer greatly and are left to pick up the pieces. They are the people my heart goes out to.
Well said. I wish this Country was a safer place also but the sad fact is that it isn't. I am also very sorry for your travesties, have a great day and maybe someday we will all live in peace "God Willing".
MY RESPONSE
IT is sad and scary! Unfortunately this story is a perfect example of, the examples I mentioned in my earlier post. This happened in the little town I live in, population 2,500. The details about this incident do not matter, except to the "homeowner" and the "stranger." Let me explain... how this has already had a direct impact on me, my family, the community as a whole, not to mention the close friends and family members involved. As it turns out, the man that shot his guns (2, a rifle and a hand gun have been mentioned in news reports) is the uncle of a friend of mine. This family is of high regard in our community and have lived here 70yrs plus. Very, very nice people, I have met a few family members myself. On the other end, friends and family members of the man (29yrs.) who was shot, have been replying to all the nasty accusations that are being said. They are stating that he was a hard working (employed) never hurt a fly kind of person. They have also mentioned that he does not drive or have a cell phone and he had been given a ride and dropped off in this area earlier that day. So now we have two nice families and all of their close friends going through hell right now. It is possible that the homeowner be accused of wrong doing and be charged with a crime. He and all of those close to him would have to go through that terrible process. He himself has to live with the choice he made and carry with him forever the memories of shooting another human being. I have already heard that some of his close relatives are now living in fear of retaliation. The closely related people of the "stranger" are living through the "forever gone" reality of their loved one. Tragic to say the least. I think it could have turned out very differently.
I have lived in many places across the U.S. and just recently made the choice to get back to the country. I like living out in the sticks away from the "closeness" of the big city, too many cars and too many people for me. I have had the experience when late at night, my car breaking down on a rural rd. and discovering my cell phone was useless. I have always felt a sense safety when I am in a country area, and that night I was on a road very similar to the setting in La Center. That night I was with a man that stands about 6ft. tall. We went to the first house that was lit up and looked as though someone might be awake. They never answered the door, in my opinion this was an acceptable response to strangers at the door. We then walked past 2 or 3 houses that obviously had a dog or two out doing their guard dog duty. The next home we called upon the door was answered with caution, the homeowners assessed the situation (broken down car) and made sure we had nothing in hand that would harm them. Also an acceptable response. I chose to go inside by myself to use the telephone, we didn’t want to scare these nice people in any way. So could all of this rippling outward wreckage been avoided if there were no guns in the homeowners possession, and been replaced with a guard dog or two? We had passed by and walked on to a home without any dogs before we crossed into/onto the property and knocked on the door.
I have two son's of my own, one is coincidentally 29yrs. old. Even though he is a grown responsible adult, he is still my child now and will forever be, nothing can change that fact. If this "stranger" had been my son and I had lost him forever, I would be destroyed beyond repair. On the flip side, If he had been the "homeowner" the one that now has to go through all of the ramifications and memories of this event, my heart would also break in pain for him.
To all of the unwilling heartbroken participants that are now experiencing enormous pain and suffering as a result of this incident, my heart goes out to you. This is a recent link to this story.
UPDATE: La Center incident raises question of when shootings are justified | The Columbian

LINK SENT TO ME
Police: Suspect dies after being shot in La Center home invasion
KPTV - FOX 12 - Portland, OR News, Weather, Traffic, Sports | Oregon
Clark County Sheriff's deputies are investigating a home invasion at a La Center home that ended in the homeowner shooting the suspect.
MY RESPONSE
I saw all of the flashing lights last night. Pretty sad that the guy died, that's what happens when people have guns. It does not sound like he was in their home, but was on their property. I DO know this...young or old he was someone child, my heart goes out to his family. Very sad no matter what the details are.
Hi, it always sucks when someone dies. But we really do need to preserve our rights to own guns, what if the guy was in the house with a gun? If we could not own guns than guess who would be the only one with them, cops & crooks. No thanks, I will protect myself. But you are right it is very sad.
MY RESPONSE
I am not really up in "the right to" debate. Matter-of-fact I don't think I have ever voiced any opinion at all. I can however think back and count the many gun related travesties that have impacted my life. I alone, over the years have had 2 friends take their own lives with a gun. I have been impacted in varying degrees by at least 5 gun related "accidents" that paralyzed, disfigured or ended in a death. Also an "in the line of duty" aftermath of a trigger happy officer who reacted out of emotion. I don't think I am alone as most people can offer up at least a couple horrible stories that would have never happened if there was not a gun available. That being said, I do not know of anyone, not even one who has had their home robbed by a gun toting burglar. I have also traveled to 2 other countries that do not allow personal gun ownership, where even the police only carry Billy clubs. These officers do not have to make the choice of shooting another human being because most crimes do not involve a gun and they manage to maintain amazingly low crime rates. So...if my life has been altered even slightly by one of these incidences, I can safely say that there are many, many other people (family and friends) who become the involuntarily victims. They are the ones that suffer greatly and are left to pick up the pieces. They are the people my heart goes out to.
Well said. I wish this Country was a safer place also but the sad fact is that it isn't. I am also very sorry for your travesties, have a great day and maybe someday we will all live in peace "God Willing".
MY RESPONSE
IT is sad and scary! Unfortunately this story is a perfect example of, the examples I mentioned in my earlier post. This happened in the little town I live in, population 2,500. The details about this incident do not matter, except to the "homeowner" and the "stranger." Let me explain... how this has already had a direct impact on me, my family, the community as a whole, not to mention the close friends and family members involved. As it turns out, the man that shot his guns (2, a rifle and a hand gun have been mentioned in news reports) is the uncle of a friend of mine. This family is of high regard in our community and have lived here 70yrs plus. Very, very nice people, I have met a few family members myself. On the other end, friends and family members of the man (29yrs.) who was shot, have been replying to all the nasty accusations that are being said. They are stating that he was a hard working (employed) never hurt a fly kind of person. They have also mentioned that he does not drive or have a cell phone and he had been given a ride and dropped off in this area earlier that day. So now we have two nice families and all of their close friends going through hell right now. It is possible that the homeowner be accused of wrong doing and be charged with a crime. He and all of those close to him would have to go through that terrible process. He himself has to live with the choice he made and carry with him forever the memories of shooting another human being. I have already heard that some of his close relatives are now living in fear of retaliation. The closely related people of the "stranger" are living through the "forever gone" reality of their loved one. Tragic to say the least. I think it could have turned out very differently.
I have lived in many places across the U.S. and just recently made the choice to get back to the country. I like living out in the sticks away from the "closeness" of the big city, too many cars and too many people for me. I have had the experience when late at night, my car breaking down on a rural rd. and discovering my cell phone was useless. I have always felt a sense safety when I am in a country area, and that night I was on a road very similar to the setting in La Center. That night I was with a man that stands about 6ft. tall. We went to the first house that was lit up and looked as though someone might be awake. They never answered the door, in my opinion this was an acceptable response to strangers at the door. We then walked past 2 or 3 houses that obviously had a dog or two out doing their guard dog duty. The next home we called upon the door was answered with caution, the homeowners assessed the situation (broken down car) and made sure we had nothing in hand that would harm them. Also an acceptable response. I chose to go inside by myself to use the telephone, we didn't want to scare these nice people in any way. So could all of this rippling outward wreckage been avoided if there were no guns in the homeowners possession, and been replaced with a guard dog or two? We had passed by and walked on to a home without any dogs before we crossed into/onto the property and knocked on the door.
I have two son's of my own, one is coincidentally 29yrs. old. Even though he is a grown responsible adult, he is still my child now and will forever be, nothing can change that fact. If this "stranger" had been my son and I had lost him forever, I would be destroyed beyond repair. On the flip side, If he had been the "homeowner" the one that now has to go through all of the ramifications and memories of this event, my heart would also break in pain for him.
To all of the unwilling heartbroken participants that are now experiencing enormous pain and suffering as a result of this incident, my heart goes out to you. This is a recent link to this story.
UPDATE: La Center incident raises question of when shootings are justified | The Columbian

Do you have a point?
Thanks for the link to the story. That's all I got out of your post.....

Your welcome for the link. Yes I most definitely have a point and you just made it for me. Even if I type very s l o w l y I do not think you will see it. Ask your momma to explain the heartache she would suffer if you were either of the two men in the La Center story. This is assuming your momma loves you. I would have trouble loving a heartless, close minded, rude, selfish piece of work like you. Did you get that point?

Anti 2nd Amendment Troll alert.. notice the post count

Hey troll, my wife and I would not be alive today if we had not been packing guns in several deadly incidents. If you don't want a gun that's cool with me but you are never going to disarm me and thank the Maker most Americans and even the USSC agree

Yes some people misuse guns.. they would also misuse a machete or baseball bat. Blame the bad actors and not the tool

Your welcome for the link. Yes I most definitely have a point and you just made it for me. Even if I type very s l o w l y I do not think you will see it. Ask your momma to explain the heartache she would suffer if you were either of the two men in the La Center story. This is assuming your momma loves you. I would have trouble loving a heartless, close minded, rude, selfish piece of work like you. Did you get that point?

Reel in your attitude, and your neck newby.

Here's a point for you.
Most of these criminals were NEVER SHOWN MUCH LOVE OR ATTENTION by their parents.Hence they became criminals.Never taught any respect or any morals,like a loved child would have been.
Not true with every criminal,no.But for the most part I would say it's true.

I would guess there isn't that many grieving parents over the lose of a child as much as seeing how they failed at raising them.

How many times does a multiple offender's mother say what a good boy he was?

And for the suicides? They would have found a different way.

Pick a descriptor:
A) Troll.
B) Uneducated imbecile.
C) Portlandia card carrier.
D) Sack o' crap with a keyboard.
E) All of the above.

Wanted to get a rise out of us and did.
Don't feed the dipsh:t and it will either go away or starve and die.

"poor burglar im sure it was his upbringing,he had a terrible life,was abused....it's not his fault and that terrible gun owner tried to hurt him.
I can hear the bleeding heart liberals already."

I've never heard a liberal say this. Now that I think about it, I've literally heard four (liberal hating) people make comments like this in my lifetime. So in effect, if you hate hearing it so much, you could always stop saying it.

To the original poster, thank you for the heads up. I agree, it may be one to watch to see our judicial system inaction.

I think if you have a gun in your house and you are not afraid to use it you should be required to post a sign outside your home. It would make it much easier for the burglar to find a house like the reporters to rob safely. It would also ensure job security for the local news. Please remember we all need a safe place to practice our crafts and hone your skills.

My-Neighbors-are-Not-Armed.png

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads