JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since the prowler was outside when shot, this should be interesting to follow.

LA CENTER, Wash. -- A homeowner shot a prowler early Tuesday morning in the 900 block of NW Pacific Highway, according to the Clark County sheriff's office.

Police were dispatched about 12:30 a.m. on a report of a burglary in progress. While enroute, the victim told dispatchers that he shot the suspect outside the home, said Sgt. Alex Schoening.

Arriving deputies found a man in the driveway who had been shot in the torso. He was taken to Peace Medical Center. A condition was not available.

Detectives were interviewing the residents and processing the home for evidence, he said.

poor burglar im sure it was his upbringing,he had a terrible life,was abused....it's not his fault and that terrible gun owner tried to hurt him.
I can hear the bleeding heart liberals already.
the fox12 reporter asked a witness"are you suprised a homeowner would have guns in their home around here?"
what a question?how about "are you suprised someone would invade someones home and threaten their safety?"

The reporter needs to remove her personal ideology about guns and gun owners, stop being the "Arm chair quarterback". Statements such as "Why he would shoot him" and "Did you know your neighbor owned guns" seem to be forcing a personal point. News as usual, complete BS!!

Unfortunately, if the burgler had left the home already and posed no immediate threat when he was shot, the homeowner is hosed, but as others have said, I wasn't there. This will be interesting to follow.

Unfortunately, if the burgler had left the home already and posed no immediate threat when he was shot, the homeowner is hosed, but as others have said, I wasn't there. This will be interesting to follow.

One must remember to always drag the body back in the house... I mean, err.... What he said!

One must remember to always drag the body back in the house... I mean, err.... What he said!

Funny you mention that. Back in the mid 70's a buddy of mine's wife was being harrassed by an ex boyfriend that had just got out of the KS State Pen. He had threatened to kill her when he found out she had married.

Long story short, they involved the police and a Shawnee County Sheriff told her pretty much the same thing. I happened to be there and he told her that if he broke into the house, be sure he's inside if you shoot him. He then handed her his business card and said "If he happens to fall outside the house, drag him inside and if you can't drag him inside, give me a call and I'll help you.". It was different times then.

Funny you mention that. Back in the mid 70's a buddy of mine's wife was being harrassed by an ex boyfriend that had just got out of the KS State Pen. He had threatened to kill her when he found out she had married.

Long story short, they involved the police and a Shawnee County Sheriff told her pretty much the same thing. I happened to be there and he told her that if he broke into the house, be sure he's inside if you shoot him. He then handed her his business card and said "If he happens to fall outside the house, drag him inside and if you can't drag him inside, give me a call and I'll help you.". It was different times then.

I am not a lawyer, but...That is terrible advice. Dragging the body inside is tampering with evidence and is easily discovered during the investigation.

I am not a lawyer, but...That is terrible advice. Dragging the body inside is tampering with evidence and is easily discovered during the investigation.

I wasn't giving it as advice. Just relating what happened. That being said, I knew a lot of the cops in the area where I grew up and back in those days if a guy was a real scumbag the cops would sometimes "overlook" evidence that might favor the scumbag or hurt their victim. Not sayin' it's right, that's just the way it was.

Contrary to popular belief, shooting someone outside of the home is not instant life in prison.

The homeowner still has a right to investigate anything on their property, and IF there was a threat from the suspect...the owner should be fine.

But as been said...don't know the facts yet.

Contrary to popular belief, shooting someone outside of the home is not instant life in prison.

The homeowner still has a right to investigate anything on their property, and IF there was a threat from the suspect...the owner should be fine.

But as been said...don't know the facts yet.

Suspect it will come down to (as I stated) forensics..

What was the distance between them?

Was the burglar armed, and with what?

Was the burglar facing the homeowner or running away when shot? (IE what was the bullet path?)

Is the homeowner of sound mind ?

Did the homeowner spill his guts or lawyer up?

Etc..

Was the burglar facing the homeowner or running away when shot? (IE what was the bullet path?)

The bullet path will tell a bit, but not everything, just the position of the person when the bullet entered the body...lateral and elevation.

With the reaction time of an average person to see and recognize a threat, or possibly in this case the suspect threatened the owner then ran...by the time the owner may have fired, the bullet may show entrance in the side or even the backside of the suspect, but in reality, the owner will only remember himself being threatened face to face and then firing. In that small amount of reaction time, the suspect can easily turn or change directions.

Way more to it than just looking at an entrance wound, and passing judgement that the owner shot the person in the back...if that even happened. This is why every piece of evidence must face scrutiny and is crucial.

The bullet path will tell a bit, but not everything, just the position of the person when the bullet entered the body...lateral and elevation.

With the reaction time of an average person to see and recognize a threat, or possibly in this case the suspect threatened the owner then ran...by the time the owner may have fired, the bullet may show entrance in the side or even the backside of the suspect, but in reality, the owner will only remember himself being threatened face to face and then firing. In that small amount of reaction time, the suspect can easily turn or change directions.

Way more to it than just looking at an entrance wound, and passing judgement that the owner shot the person in the back...if that even happened. This is why every piece of evidence must face scrutiny and is crucial.

Agreed, it is the totality of the circumstances and what you explained about the bullet path and the "suspect" turning under fire has indeed happened several times in recent shootings I have read of

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top