JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all, hope those that traditional black powder hunt had success in the early dates here in Washington, looks like late season is where my fortunes will be this year!

Anyways, to the question! I am building a Lymans Great Plains and am considering purchasing a L&R RPL lock to install during the build to replace the original right off the bat....

Thoughts? Input? Options? Go for it? Dont go for it?

Look forward to what y'all have to say!

Many L&R RPL locks have a "fly" ...which makes a lock more complicated that need be , at times...also the lock mortice will need to be altered to fit the replacement lock...so work slowly and carefully here.

That said L&R locks are a great step up from the factory coil spring locks on the newer Lyman rifles....
I'd make the upgrade...But I'd check with Davis locks first to see if they have a lock that would work for this project.
Andy

Based on your previous posts, I'm guessing you're new to flintlocks (And possibly muzzleloaders in general). If that is the case, I'd get my feet wet on the Lyman lock first. If it gets buggered during the learning process you can always put in the L&R lock. Plus you won't be second guessing if the roller bearings/waterproof pan/better springs are actually an improvement.

Also, the TOW lock description mentions the lock mortise needs to be deepened to accomodate the L&R lock so before removing wood you might go with the Lyman lock and see how it works out.

Not sure if you've seen this series (think there's four videos) on building the Lyman Kit. Yeah, his rifle is percussion but it might be helpful. He also has a lot of other muzzleloading videos on you tube.

Thanks Roundball and Andy!

Im liking the upgrade and your advice Andy..... and will probably be purchasing the L&M RPL. I will be experiencing working with and shooting with a Davis since I am going to be receiving a Sitting Fox NW Tradegun Kit with Davis lock from Santa this year...for a late Spring early Summer project..:D..and Roundball, I like the sage advice on using the Lymans and then changing over after a bit of the learning curve!

And yes Roundball, I did watch his videos on the build and many of his other videos which have been real informative for me on this journey!

Hey all, hope those that traditional black powder hunt had success in the early dates here in Washington, looks like late season is where my fortunes will be this year!

Anyways, to the question! I am building a Lymans Great Plains and am considering purchasing a L&R RPL lock to install during the build to replace the original right off the bat....

Thoughts? Input? Options? Go for it? Dont go for it?

Look forward to what y'all have to say!
Just make sure the face of the hammer lines up. Lyman itself recommends just buying another rifle rather that converting a Flint to Percussion. That was not your question but if it was on their web site the issue must come up. I myself have a Great Plains Hunter. When time and money allows I'll run down to Joe & Suzi and match up an extra action for a spare.

LB

Well, finally finished and ready to go out to sight this guy in and start working on a hunting load. After considering the input here and contemplating a bit, I installed the L&R.

First build from am easy kit, took my sweet time for sure, but am very pleased with how it all came out. Missed a bit on the browning for the ends of 2 screws on the lock, but it makes it personalized without etching or engraving!

0729201151.jpg

Good looking rifle...and nice upgrade for sure.
As for the screws....you could give 'em a fire blue finish...that makes a neat contrast to the brown.

What caliber is your rifle....?
My .54 Hawken likes a 80 grain charge of 2F with a .15 patch and a .530 round ball.
I use this load for all my shooting target or hunting.

A good .50 caliber load is 65 - 80 grains of 2F a .15 patch and a .490 round ball .
Andy

Its a .54 and thats was going to be my estimate but looking to see what she'll like best.

My Kentucky .50 gives me my best grouping consistently when I feed her 75grains of 2f.

Thanks for the tip on the screws! I like different.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top