JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just wondering what is the opinion of law enforcement is on open carry and I am talking about the street cop's well I guess office paper pusher type that are in charge too. and what they feel about calls on a man with a gun ?

I'm just wondering what is the opinion of law enforcement is on open carry and I am talking about the street cop's well I guess office paper pusher type that are in charge too. and what they feel about calls on a man with a gun ?

I really do not wnat to rain on your parade, but I will get a bit more specific.

lE contact #1: 25 or 30 years ago, my only MWAG call...Grocery shopping in Mansen for camp supplies...Deputy shows up and asks me (as I am loading the supplies into our camper) "Hunting?" Me "yep" Deputy (to himself) "nothing illegal here".

Encounter #2: About 8 years ago..Tonasket CoP "when are you going to join our gun club"

Encounter #3: Last summer, Skagit co. Clear Lake Boat launch..."What is it?" me "CZ85" Deputy.."nice gun"

So, how do you think Joe officer looks at OC?

I have had an occasion to have a discussion with a couple state troopers and they both had the same type response I wasn't sure if I hit the jackpot on talking to these two guys or if it was more of a norm.

Me: Nice looking piece. Is that a XXX?
Cop: Um, yeah....
ME: Awesome. I have one like it. the XXX, did you get a trigger job on yours or is it just issue because I noticed....
COP: (Warming right up) yeah, I had a trigger job on mine. this is my personal gun, the Dept. issue ones were crap and then I.....

Ended conversation making a friend.

Pretty typical meetup for me. People treat cops like they are the ENEMY or at least people to be avoided. Unless you meet the guy who is really not into his guns, or you move too close into his personal space (they have a reason to keep distance, it isn't personal) mentioning the kind of gun you have and how it related to what he's carrying, will win you points. It's a great conversation starter and you might have just made a friend.

I have had an occasion to have a discussion with a couple state troopers and they both had the same type response I wasn't sure if I hit the jackpot on talking to these two guys or if it was more of a norm.

I have found the WSP I have met to be very professional. My sister dated a WSP officer years ago, he was a very intelligent guy.

wow, sounds like nice guys up here.

hint, they are ALL paper pushers, primary purpose is to fill out paperwork for insurance, courts, etc.

most are really bored, just act normal and they will too.

hermannr,

Being from out there in "God's Country" you might find the resonse a little more "strained" in
down town Seattle, or Portland.:s0112::s0112:;)

Jack...:cool:

ihave, both cities,,,not a problem...Lived in OR 50's and early 60's, then a 2 year stint in CA to find out why I don't want to live there, then all over the US in the military, plus a stint in Vietnam in 68 and 69, and Germany.Home has been WA since 1970...been all over OR, WA, ID...yep, OC is fine in all three states, even Seattle, Boise, and Portland.

I hear Portland can be a bit dicey, but I have never had a problem when I am down there visiting relatives.

A few years ago, I did a personal survey of Sheriff's Deputies on what gun they carried. I would hand them my card (Armed and Safe) and ask if I could ask a question about their gun. The biggest problem I had then was getting away to continue my (whatever I was doing) because they always wanted to cntinue talking about things that go boom and what I knew about this or that piece of bling for their carry. :D

Of course, living in the boonies does help. One day I answered the door to find two little old ladies from JW on my porch. After we had chatted for a minute or so, one of them spotted my holstered pistol and asked "Is that a Ruger?" I answered "Yes. P85, first production run." and she was off to the races. We discussed her Mark III and her Browning shotgun, and the other lady's 1911 and custom 22-250. :D

Pops

I've OC'd all over the Clackamas County area, Portland metro area, hell even parts of Central Oregon, in front of countless deputies/officers/state troopers and they never said anything to me. Walked into restaurants, passed by deputies having dinner, walked in coffee shops, passed by officers having coffee, they take a look but don't do anything. Maybe I've been lucky so far, a lot of the deputies/officers I've talked to said they support our right to OC as long as we're doing it legally and safely

I've OC'd all over the Clackamas County area, Portland metro area, hell even parts of Central Oregon, in front of countless deputies/officers/state troopers and they never said anything to me. Walked into restaurants, passed by deputies having dinner, walked in coffee shops, passed by officers having coffee, they take a look but don't do anything. Maybe I've been lucky so far, a lot of the deputies/officers I've talked to said they support our right to OC as long as we're doing it legally and safely

Its against the law to Open Carry in Portland and a few other cities in Oregon...
Summary
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license.

Its against the law to Open Carry in Portland and a few other cities in Oregon...
Summary
Oregon is a traditional open carry state. However, their preemption statute only covers concealed handgun license holders from city or county passed bans against loaded firearms in public places. To our knowledge, only the cities of Portland, Beaverton, Tigard, Oregon City, Salem, and Independence have passed loaded firearms bans encompassing all public places, and other cities have passed bans specific to Parks. Also, all "public buildings" are also off limits throughout the entire state unless you have a concealed handgun license.
You're correct, I have my CHL so I'm not worried about it. Sucks we have to get our CHL just to OC in the big cities, but at least we're able to.

(Whether you're a fan of OC or not is a completely different story :p )

Not against OC just have a personal preference for Concealed Carry as I want to maintain the tactical advantage of surprise and don't want to freak out all the people who think guns are icky. Most LEO I know are 2A supporters. Some Administrators who got their jobs by being appointed by liberal politicians however will go all Bob Costas on you.

So, how do you think Joe officer looks at OC?
Meh, who cares, if it's legal and they don't like it, they can hunt up a new job.

OCing I've never had a problem personally, even in CA where I'd carry while fishing, and then go eat afterwards.

In MA I didn't have the stones to do it, but in my town there was a guy that insisted on OCing and was arrested once a week or so for it until his license to carry was pulled and the town PD took all his guns, ammo, and accessories.

My experience is don't be jerk and start quoting the law books and all is ok, yes we have our rights but the more you do not act like joe lawyers and just talk like a human being the better the interaction.
I do not have to but I tell the cop I am carrying and I agree asking them what they carry is a great ice breaker.
cops love guns just like we do here, keep that in mind when you interact and it could go easier.

Partially true, it's against the law to open carry in Portland and a few other cities. However, in Portland, if your gun is UNLOADED, you can open carry:

14A.60.010 Possession of a Loaded Firearm in a Public Place. - Printable Version
(Amended by Ordinance No. 184274, effective December 31, 2010.)

A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the firearm.

B. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess or carry a firearm and that firearm's clip or magazine, in or upon a public place, including while in a vehicle in a public place, recklessly having failed to remove all the ammunition from the clip or magazine.

C. The following are exceptions and constitute affirmative defenses to a violation of this Section:
1. A police officer or other duly appointed peace officers, whether active or honorably retired.
2. A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
3. A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
4. A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building under ORS 166.370.
5. A government employee authorized or required by his or her employment or office to carry firearms.
6. A person summoned by a police officer to assist in making arrests or preserving the peace, while such person is actually engaged in assisting the officer.
7. A merchant who possesses or is engaged in lawfully transporting unloaded firearms as merchandise.
8. Organizations which are by law authorized to purchase or receive weapons from the United States or from this state.
9. Duly authorized military or civil organizations while parading, or their members when going to and from the places of meeting of their organization.
10. A corrections officer while transporting or accompanying an individual convicted of or arrested for an offense and confined in a place of incarceration or detention while outside the confines of the place of incarceration or detention.
11. Persons travelling to and from an established target range, whether public or private, for the purpose of practicing shooting targets at the target ranges.
12. Licensed hunters or fishermen while engaged in hunting or fishing, or while going to or returning from a hunting or fishing expedition.
13. A person authorized by permit of the Chief of Police to possess a loaded firearm, clip, or magazine in a public place in the City of Portland.
14. A security guard employed at a financial institution insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation while the security guard is on duty.

Kind of dumb, it's easier to get your CCL and not worry about Portland law

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.

(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.
(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

Summary

It is not against the law to OC...anywhere in Oregon. It is against some local jurisdictions ordinances to CARRY a LOADED weapon in any manner without a license to do so. ORS 166.173,

As to "public buildings" That is covered in ORS 166.360-380. You need to be aware of what is defined as a "public building", and you must have an OR CHL issued under ORS 166.291 and 292 to CARRY in ANY MANNER in a "Public building".

Oregon is an open carry state, you may open carry anywhere you can conceal if you have a CHL. You can open carry loaded, anywhere but a public building with any license to carry....you may NOT conceal ANYWHERE without an OR CHL or you meet an exception in ORS 166.260.

Not against OC just have a personal preference for Concealed Carry as I want to maintain the tactical advantage of surprise and don't want to freak out all the people who think guns are icky. Most LEO I know are 2A supporters. Some Administrators who got their jobs by being appointed by liberal politicians however will go all Bob Costas on you.

So you would rather have a potentially lethal confrontation where you MIGHT have some advantage over the BG, rather than never have the confrontation at all? Is that what you are saying?

The idea with OC is to put the BG on notice, I can and will defend myself, go elsewhere to ply your trade leave me alone I could hurt you. An informed BG will generally leave someone that OCs alone, just like they will generally leave LEOs that OC alone. I would like to give them the option of just leaving me alone...and guess what...in 42+ years of carry...it has worked just that way.

Tactical advantage is the reason bad guys conceal....they just don't bother to get the license.

In MA I didn't have the stones to do it, but in my town there was a guy that insisted on OCing and was arrested once a week or so for it until his license to carry was pulled and the town PD took all his guns, ammo, and accessories.[/QUOTE]

He had a license to carry and they arrested him for it anyway?:s0131:

What would the charges be?????

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews