Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

kydex

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by odiesplace97301, Oct 15, 2010.

1. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

Is there a local source for kydex here in Oregon? I want to try my hand at making my own kydex holsters. The whole on line ordering is a pain. Any help would be great.
    Thanks

2. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

i did it off ebay and got in 3 days after i put in the order i gave up looking for places that sell it

3. cyclesarge

cyclesarge Eugene OR, DUH! We're ALL in the NORTHWEST Well-Known Member

I looked at a couple sign stores that sell plastic sheeting, and they had no idea what Kydex even was. One of the stores said they could order it, after looking in a catalog, but it was incredibly expensive, like $24 for each 12" x 12" sheet.

4. cyclesarge

I looked at a couple sign stores that sell plastic sheeting, and they had no idea what Kydex even was. One of the stores said they could order it, after looking in a catalog, but it was incredibly expensive, like $24 for each 12" x 12" sheet.

Oh and if you want to get some dirty looks and comments, ask about Kydex at your friendly neighborhood LEATHER supply store.:bluelaugh:

5. MDunham

MDunham Portland Oregon New Member

You might try laird plastics down in the SE industrial area, kind of by alaskan brass and copper. I don't know what the minimum order is for new stock, but they also have an offcut bin in the sales area with various maerials; some might suit your prototyping, even if it isn't kydex per se.

6. C&H

C&H SW Portland Member

Now I'm interested...

A quick google revealed these folks, who sell it by the sheet. A 12x24 sheet of black runs about $17.05

A click on the "About Us" link shows that they have a distributor in Portland (and in Kent, Washington as well).

Looks like fun stuff for all sorts of hobby applications.

7. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

8. odiesplace97301

odiesplace97301 silverton area Member

thanks for all the help guys. ordered some of the 12x12 sheets.

9. Contract_Pilot

Contract_Pilot Vancouver, Washington Active Member

Enjoy your project..

10. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

If you are ever up by tigard, Multifcraft plastics and TAP plastics off of 72nd both have Kydex if I remember right. Not sure what pricing is though.

11. Dirty Needle

Dirty Needle Silverton, Oregon Member

I know a guy that is a master kydex holster maker. He buys his kydex in bulk out of the Hillsboro area. He does crazy good work. I have about 10 of his holsters and mag pouches. He said that he got his start when he could not find a holster that concealed well and yet was fast and reliable. I think that he lives in Silverton, but he is like a ghost. In other words...you have to know how to get in touch with him.

12. cyclesarge

Is "the guy you know" .... YOU?

10 holsters seems like a lot. "fast and reliable" and "he is like a ghost" is mutually exclusive. "you have to know how to get in touch with him"--- Kinda like he's Spiderman and you're Peter Parker?

13. Dirty Needle

Dirty Needle Silverton, Oregon Member

cyclesarge, I was giving odiesplace a hard time. He and I have a mutual interest in how to make the very best kydex holsters, mag pouches, sheaths, etc.. The hardest part of the whole mix is locating the right materials for the items being made.

14. cyclesarge

I see, I guess I don't get it.

15. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Port Plastics--on Tech Center, same as Multi-Craft. Nice folks, easy to deal with.

16. 82nd Infidel

82nd Infidel Gladstone,Or. Member

Take a look at Knife making suppliers on line.
    Any and All types are available.

17. PeakResources

PeakResources Portland (past) Colorado (now) Member

I just bought some 2x4 sheets from Interstate. It's $28 for the 4x2 sheets in 060, which is about $3.50 per sq ft. I bought a few different thicknesses and a number of the 060 sheets. They were backordered on the 060, so they called me to notify that they would split the shipments at their cost.

I found this to be better than 1x1 or 2x1 sheets as I end up with less waste. I might ideally want 4x8 sheets eventually, but for now this will do.