JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here you Go <broken link removed> I just bought some a few weeks back to experiment holster making there's member on here that told me how to do it, but as for heat i just use my home oven

I just finished a raised cheek rest for my long range rifle with kydex from Harva Platics off E-bay. I got a 12x12x.187 sheet for about $22 delivered. Definitely get a heat gun, they're only about $25 at Freddies or probably cheaper at a place like Harbor Freight. I ran the heat gun over the plastic on high until it bent easily then clamped it until it was cool enough to hold the new shape. For the final molding I reheated the kydex until soft then held it over an old rifle stock until it cooled. Lastly, I carefully drilled two mounting holes and bolted it on with a couple stainless carriage bolts and nylock nuts then rattle canned it to match the rifle. You didn't mention what you were trying to make and some things will be harder than others but this was my first experiment with kydex and went pretty smoothly so go for it.

MVC-049S.JPG

MVC-050S.JPG

I have been buying from knifekits.com for years and have always gotten great service. Get the Kydex forming Foam and their forming press (if you can afford it), I built mine. The foam is key. Also small toaster oven, heat gun, belt sander, a razor knife for scoring and breaking your Kydex. It's great fun. I make ALL my gear and have even sold some custom pieces.

Thanks for all the info. I want to make a couple of knife sheaths and I was gunna experment with making a "sheath" for a pistol grip shotgun that could attatch to the side of my pack.

TAP does not carry it, they don't even know what it is. I bought my first sheet (4'x8') from Port Plastics. So they are a good local resource for full sheets, but they don't stock it, they have to order it in.

Medical technicians make hand splints out of a perforated heat-form plastic similar to kydex. I have seen them use a large square electric frying pan full of water to heat the plastic sheet quickly and evenly. The pan has a thermostat to keep the water just under the boiling point. The water evaporates off of the plastic immediately when it is removed from the bath to be worked..........................elsullo :s0155:

Medical technicians make hand splints out of a perforated heat-form plastic similar to kydex. I have seen them use a large square electric frying pan full of water to heat the plastic sheet quickly and evenly. The pan has a thermostat to keep the water just under the boiling point. The water evaporates off of the plastic immediately when it is removed from the bath to be worked..........................elsullo :s0155:

Wow, what is it called? Or better yet, do you have one in the garage I can buy?

I'll have to get some photos posted, but I built a press using an electric car jack. I made a wood frame around it with a wood top and with foam in between. It works very well.

An electric car jack, what do you need that for?

I use my homemade carjack press to push the heated kydex & gun mold to the top in order to make the holster. When I turn on the electric car jack, it raises the board with foam to another board (stationary) and uses steady, even pressure.

I'll get some photos of it when if I can find my usb camera cord.

TAP does not carry it, they don't even know what it is. I bought my first sheet (4'x8') from Port Plastics. So they are a good local resource for full sheets, but they don't stock it, they have to order it in.

I few months ago I spoke with one of the managers and suggested that they stock it, that there was a significant amount of people who would walk in and give them business if the did in fact begin to stock the stuff.

In one ear?

Wow, what is it called? Or better yet, do you have one in the garage I can buy?

I'm sure you can find them in any houswares store, like Bimart or Freddies. I always see them in thrift stores too, but you have to make sure that you get the plug-in thermostat/cord unit that goes with the pan, because they often get separated at thrift joints. For what it's worth, a "Crock Pot" might be usefull too, to keep water heated with a thermostat. Oh, and I do know for certain the your old junk George Forman Grill is way too hot to use for Kydex!..........................elsullo :D

The holsters I've made (at least the Kydex part) would easily fit in a 10" frying pan full of water. Come to think of it it would probably please the wife, not having having the pieces "gassing off" in the oven. I've done a few things in Kydex and I am really curious why anything more exotic than a regular ol' pan full of water or an oven would be necessary.:huh:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top