JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I used to use Kydex holsters and mag carriers back in the day. I've had a few not only break in training but I've had the mags and such slip right out just catching on a door getting some takeout.

As such I've switched to leather. My weapon and mag retention is much better ever since, and it's not as likely my mag carrier or holster spill their goods or snap off when I'm on the ground.

What about you? I realize some people prefer speed over retention, and in that realm, kydex is superior but I prefer to keep my gear whether running from a bad situation or fighting on the ground, etc.

Kydex doesn't need to be treated, doesn't dry up, resistant to weather, sweat, etc.

However leather is more flexable. Breaks in nicely. Looks better, in my opinion. Feels better on the skin.

I used to run some form of kydex till I was introduced to Winthrop holsters. Now I pretty much carry all my concealed guns in an OWB Winthrop leather pancake holster.

Only kydex holster that I found that came close was a company called 2aHolsters, he used a thinner kydex which flexed better than the standard thickness. His holsters are also shaped to your hip and OWB.

Holsters are a doozy though. You literally have to buy at least 200-300 dollars worth of them before finding one that truly feels like your not wearing a gun.

@ORYGUNHolsterCompany made me some kydex and it has super grip.

I think it's probably the custom craftsmanship and detail but I've never had a generic kydex holster.
I'll agree with this.

I have a couple of holsters from Ryan. I use them for range practice and would depend on them in a SHTF scenario.

What about you? I realize some people prefer speed over retention, and in that realm, kydex is superior but I prefer to keep my gear whether running from a bad situation or fighting on the ground, etc.
Im not certain how kydex is faster than leather?

you can heat mold a kydex shell with pretty high retention actually. My biggest reason to prefer kydex is they will never collapse closed allowing you a one handed re-holster.

I roll leather.

Looks classy, forms well to my side and doesn't look 'tacticool' as to not offend soccer mommies if they happen to see the owb.

All of my leather are quality with stiffners at the mouth that allow reholstering. The fallacy saying leather won't do that isn't true.

I have some of each. For formal wear I prefer leather. :cool: For competition sometimes I use kydex. And yeah, just like the rest of you, I have a drawer full of holsters. And that one fabric holster in the bottom that I never use anymore. :rolleyes: Actually, sometimes I bring it to a class as an example of what not to buy.

its true, a good quality leather holster will stay open for holstering. I have a very old leather Galco that lasted me years. Although I prefer Kydex nowadays nothing beats the look and feel of a leather holster especially the old worn out ones.

Leather all the way. I've tried kydex, didn't like the feel nor the marring of my stainless arms...

Running quality leather makes a difference, besides I also like how the leather will not only conform itself to the firearm, but also to me... Kinda makes us customized for each other...

I used to use Kydex holsters and mag carriers back in the day. I've had a few not only break in training but I've had the mags and such slip right out just catching on a door getting some takeout.

As such I've switched to leather. My weapon and mag retention is much better ever since, and it's not as likely my mag carrier or holster spill their goods or snap off when I'm on the ground.

Well like a lot of people I suppose, I have a mix. I've got a couple Milt Sparks leather rigs and some kydex by G Code, JM Custom, and CompTac. Overall I think I like Kydex better for carrying...but I do love me the look, smell, and feel of a finely crafted leather holster. A lot of times it just comes down to use. My range holsters and appendix holsters tend to be Kydex. Regular IWB is leather but I do have a Sparks 55BN OWB holster.

To date I haven't had any problems with kydex failing. But all my stuff is pretty high quality and the thicker .093 vs .08 thinner stuff. Overall I prefer kydex for it's ease of care, speed, and zero break-in.

Im not certain how kydex is faster than leather?

Kydex is often referred to as faster. In general I think people are referring to ease of draw with kydex and the fact that there is usually more friction in a leather holster due to more of the actual holster contacting the various sides of the weapon. Guns can also sometimes bind up on the draw from a leather holster, although that usually comes from a holster than hasn't been properly broken in. I don't know if anyone has actually measured the draw speed on a high quality, properly broken in leather holster compared to kydex. If kydex truly is faster it's likely only by a negligible amount. But what can be said is that the draw feels different when done from a kydex holster compared to a leather rig. And many people have a preference for one over the other. Personally, I do prefer the draw from kydex over leather. YMMV

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top