JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know of a kydex trigger cover for an ar platform? Similar to this but for an ar?

Trigger_Guard01_grande.jpeg

Pure want. I have an ar pistol that will ultimately live in my car, in a place that really doesn't leave room for a bag or anything like that. But I'm a big propenant of keeping the trigger covered whenever feasible.

It would literally take you 20m to do yourself. Buy a sheet of kydex off of Amazon for $8, place it in the oven @200 degrees for a few minutes, then sandwich it around the trigger guard between two 2x4s and a bit of foam, or even a pillow. Trim with a Dremel.

It would literally take you 20m to do yourself. Buy a sheet of kydex off of Amazon for $8, place it in the oven @200 degrees for a few minutes, then sandwich it around the trigger guard between two 2x4s and a bit of foam, or even a pillow. Trim with a Dremel.
While I recognize that it's (likely) an easy enough job. I generally do not have the time (or desire to make the time) to do it my self.

While I recognize that it's (likely) an easy enough job. I generally do not have the time (or desire to make the time) to do it my self.

Absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to DIY something even if you could. Good on you for knowing.

That sounds like a reasonable idea, I think the safety on the rifle has a much more secure and positive engagement for trigger security, even if it's just a cover.

I wonder if my local Kydex guy could whip up a proto.

You would need the lower with the trigger installed. Fill trigger guard with hard but mold-able clay so the trigger is covered but there is still a lip left around the inside parameter of the lower trigger guard so the kydex would sink in and form to the lip for retention.

One important detail when filling the trigger guard with the clay, on the top of the trigger guard where the triggar enters the action fill with clay almost to the outside and fill lower part of trigger guard slightly less so there is enough of a lip for retention. Doing it like this will result in easy slide on install of the kydex trigger cover but with enough of a lip for retention and that slight pop when the trigger guard seats into place.

After the clay is properly formed into the trigger guard, next it can be put in a vacuum press or foam press to form the kydex into the trigger guard.

Since all these lowers are slightly different you would need the exact lower to form the kydex to. Forming it to another manufacture or another model lower would not work.

The thing a lot of people don't know and a lot of amateurs get wrong with kydex holsters or trigger covers is the need to keep the kydex spaced away from the trigger.

You don't want the gun to "go bang" while you are putting the kydex guard on or sliding the gun into the holster right? This goes for any kydex on any gun be it an AR or pistol.

I see kydex holsters made by amateurs and even some companies and if I can see the outline of the trigger.... I just think OMG...

Done a lot of research on kydex holster design & manufacture recently.

Update, found one from a company called trigger safe. Looks like it is made well and is only $11.00.

triggersafe+od+green.jpg

Triggersafe LLC

~

Last Edited:
Check out Cascadia Concealment in Olympia. He can fabricate just about anything, however you want it.

What's the magic go get him to make something?

After seeing the recommendation in this site before. I contacted him to make a holster that he already lists on his website as something he does and his response was to the effect: He was too busy to take orders except for what was listed as available on the website, updated each week on Sunday, but that I couldn't order anything unless I went through the website and it said it was available.

I was a bit confused at the business practice. I told him I wouldn't mind waiting 6 months to get the holster, didn't matter.

Last Edited:
You would need the lower with the trigger installed. Fill trigger guard with hard but mold-able clay so the trigger is covered but there is still a lip left around the inside parameter of the lower trigger guard so the kydex would sink in and form to the lip for retention.

One important detail when filling the trigger guard with the clay, on the top of the trigger guard where the triggar enters the action fill with clay almost to the outside and fill lower part of trigger guard slightly less so there is enough of a lip for retention. Doing it like this will result in easy slide on install of the kydex trigger cover but with enough of a lip for retention and that slight pop when the trigger guard seats into place.

After the clay is properly formed into the trigger guard, next it can be put in a vacuum press or foam press to form the kydex into the trigger guard.

Since all these lowers are slightly different you would need the exact lower to form the kydex to. Forming it to another manufacture or another model lower would not work.

The thing a lot of people don't know and a lot of amateurs get wrong with kydex holsters or trigger covers is the need to keep the kydex spaced away from the trigger.

You don't want the gun to "go bang" while you are putting the kydex guard on or sliding the gun into the holster right? This goes for any kydex on any gun be it an AR or pistol.

I see kydex holsters made by amateurs and even some companies and if I can see the outline of the trigger.... I just think OMG...

Done a lot of research on kydex holster design & manufacture recently.

Update, found one from a company called trigger safe. Looks like it is made well and is only $11.00.

View attachment 597028

Triggersafe LLC

~

I have a couple of those and they work well.

Good for a brush gun when smashing through overgrown trails, or having a loaded gun in a manodlin case.

What's the magic go get him to make something?

After seeing the recommendation in this site before. I contacted him to make a holster that he already lists on his website as something he does and his response was, "I don't take orders, I only make what I make and if it happens to be what you want you'll buy it"

I was a bit confused at the business practice. I told him I wouldn't mind waiting 6 months to get the holster, didn't matter.

Hmmm, strange.

Hmmm, strange.

I thought so as well. He said it was a side business for him and that he didn't take orders because it always backed up and stressed him out. He said he updated the website on what was available every Sunday afternoon, but didn't take orders.

It was a bummer too because they looked like solid holsters.

Pure want. I have an ar pistol that will ultimately live in my car, in a place that really doesn't leave room for a bag or anything like that. But I'm a big propenant of keeping the trigger covered whenever feasible.

Here's an idea, and I honestly don't mean to be snickerty about it:

If the concern is over an ND from an AR pistol rattling around in a vehicle unsecured, have it in condition 4.

Mag out, no round chambered, bolt open, safety on.

Here's an idea, and I honestly don't mean to be snickerty about it:

If the concern is over an ND from an AR pistol rattling around in a vehicle unsecured, have it in condition 4.

Mag out, no round chambered, bolt open, safety on.

Why would you what your bolt open while bouncing around your rig?

A loaded mag in the weapon, empty chamber, hammer down, safety off would be just as safe...impossible to ND and eliminates dirt and debris entering the workings via the open action.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top