JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Little known fact about Kurt Cobain. Even though he normally appeared in public with greasy hair, he was collector of shampoo. When police arrived at his house on that day, they found Head & Shoulders all over the place.
If you Axe me, I think you showed a lot of Finesse there. Pretty Suave.

EDIT:

We all saw this coming. In all of my days driving that kid around Seattle, he never got in the back seat. Apparently he liked riding shotgun.

He was a pretty distracted kid too, never seemed to be able to collect his thoughts. Well, I guess a mop would have done the trick.

Last Edited:
Going out on a limb here, I put forward the notion that those of us comfortable with a little insensitive humor are from the same approximate era as the departed.
I work in the same building that young curtis once did simple odd jobs at. I listen to his music, then and now. I smile if "come, as you are" starts up when I'm 5 minutes from work. A true connection? Maybe not. But I'm okay with some juvenile humor, and I don't imagine he'd mind.

I seem to recall photographs of Japanese soldiers that opted to go out that way with their Arisaka rifles.

As to Cobain's death, I can't say I really followed it. Never was a fan of his music back in the day, nor now. But it is sad that a person that young passed. He missed so much of life, including seeing his daughter grow up.
I never followed him nor most people LIKE him in life.

All I remember is his name being in the news a bit and I thought that he may have been an actor or a singer who was a BIG TIME DRUG ADDICT and/or A DRUNK.

I thought that many Japanese soldiers killed themselves too. OLD stories but I could be wrong when it came to their TOOL of choice way back when.

Cate

As to Cobain's death, I can't say I really followed it. Never was a fan of his music back in the day, nor now. But it is sad that a person that young passed. He missed so much of life, including seeing his daughter grow up.
90's grunge a'int for everyone.

Wait.

The Hell? Yes it is. C'mon 'Gent, smell that teen spirit. You're free to Come as You Are - just put a little grunge love in that Heart-Shaped Box of yours and spend some time with the era. Milk It for all its worth. Just don't have an Aneurysm.

All Apologies to the Smurf for lining up Something in the Way of your evening.

Last Edited:
Bad taste.........................
Shooting dope and repainting the walls of your families living room with your brains when you have a small child to provide for isn't exactly a classy move either. I've seen first hand what drug abuse and taking the easy way out with a bullet does to a family. Kurt Cobain was a good musician, but he was also kind of a bubblegumty person and let a child down by being an even bubblegumtier parent. He won't get any sympathy from me.

Shooting dope and repainting the walls of your families living room with your brains when you have a small child to provide for isn't exactly a classy move either. I've seen first hand what drug abuse and taking the easy way out with a bullet does to a family. Kurt Cobain was a good musician, but he was also kind of a bubblegumty person and let a child down by being an even bubblegumtier parent. He won't get any sympathy from me.
yeah, yeah what ever. This is a kid friendly site and you are paining the most graphic pic you can.....nice job buddy!

It's easy to stick a long gun in your mouth and pull the trigger. Less inhibition to do so when you're whacked on drugs but still have a minimum amount of motor skills.
I used to listen to this music in the 90's. Had to be up in his area for work. Unknowingly drove by his house on the lake - I was pissed at the traffic and confused even more irritated by all the people standing on the side of the road holding candles, iirc, not a road I would stand on. Got to my destination, commented on the traffic, and was told about his stupidity. Sing about nihilism, eat it. Meh.
About five years later, I was looking at a house to buy, and the early teen daughter had a shrine to Cobain.

I was on a long road trip in 1990 when Stevie Ray Vaughan died, learned about it two weeks later. His death was sad news to me.

Sure, suicide by shotgun brings up thoughts of foul play. But the article leaps to not very solid conclusions. Like he had three times a fatal dose of opioids which would have immediately incapacitated him. Um, no...remember George Floyd had the same 3x fatal dose. It also expects someone who, a) just got out of rehab, b) appears to have just ingested drugs and c) could have been suicidal to act rationally. Yea, not likely.

I don't know one way or the other but intellectual honesty should be part of the process. Don't like his music but it is sad he left a daughter and struggled with those demons. Just found out my wife's cousin killed himself yesterday. Never met him, but still very sad for everyone involved in these cases. Went to these calls, along with many more attempts, as an LEO. There are always lots of moving parts.

A fatal dose for a regular person is likely not a fatal dose for a heavy user, he himself probably expected the dose it to do more, then ended up opting for the shotgun when all it did was get him super high.
Only partially true. The amount a frequent user needs to obtain a high does increase due to tolerance. The fatal does does not increase in the same way. This is commonly why addicts overdose; the amount to get high gets closer and closer to the fatal dose. There is some more recent research showing that the fatal level can increase with frequent users but it is still an issue with overdoses. The other problem is illegal drugs do not come with the strength listed on the package after being tested by the FDA. Like Advil.

There was the Netflix doc 4-5 years ago that suggested a conspiracy between Courtney Love and the man-nanny. Courtney was seen by many as a modern day Yoko Ono.

As a proud Gen-Xer I did listen to Nirvana, Mudhoney, and all of those Seattle bands in high school. This was the last time rock n' roll dominated the Top 40. I don't think we'll ever see so many rock bands in the Top 10 at the same time as we did in the early 1990's. The Northwest was the cultural epicenter of the country and it was a great time to be in high school here.

The late 90's were a referendum on the early 90's and there was a lot of AWFUL music: Smash Mouth, Ricky Martin, Ace of Bass, "The Macarena", etc... It's been all downhill since then.

Steve Jobs ruined everything.

My .02, YMMV

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews