Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Kudos to some good moderation

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by SonicBlue03, Apr 9, 2012.

1. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

The thread can remain nameless since I'm sure you know which one I'm thinking of, but in my email bucket today I saw a thread that had been replied to with some content that was far and away some of the most ignorant I've seen on any forum. When I clicked the link to see if it was still there (and what subsequent responses there were) the thread was gone.

Kudos to the mods for handling that appropriately.

2. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

No I don't know, which one was it.
    It must of been bad to get removed.

3. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I have been noticing more and more good threads straying way off course and turning into something not intended by the original OP.

Sticking with the original subject matter and intent is a good thing, so we all get something out of it.
    Turning them into self serving soap boxes will ruin them for everyone.

NCW Ray, 19 Adam, Tbucket and 3 others like this.
  4. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

I take serious issue with that thread getting deleted. I take part in a number of gun forums and saw nothing in that thread that warranted the entre thread being deleted. There were a bumber of posts that were of questionable good taste. Those COMMENTS might have been deleted. The whole THREAD being deleted means we are deprived of any means of discussing a very serious iissue of immediate concern to any gun owner in the country. Mods, you blew it and cut with a chain saw instead of a scalpel.

The only time a thread should get deleted is when there are serious questions of the legality of the thread in general AS SPEECH -Threats to the president, etc. Otherwise the offending posters should get a warning and have their POST deleted.

I realize that this is a private forum and the owners can do whatever they want. But this was a bad call.

5. SonicBlue03

Sometimes you can surgically remove a tumor. Other times you have to cut off a limb. They were right to trim the limb on the particular thread I was referring to.

I don't know if there's an infraction system built into this message board software or not; assuming not then maybe Joe will consider giving people posting vacations for content that crosses boundaries in a most serious way.

6. kenno

kenno eastern WA Active Member

"joe" Joe Stalin?
    Sounds crazy,,but they will delete this post very quickely.
    Your posts, your freedom of expression, your freedom to think insdependantly.
    Russians have been told for generations they were but chattle and now you are as well!

7. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

Wait we're cattle because we are invited to someone elses house and are expected to be respectful??

I still say need more after multiple flakes on here- and looking at feedback they've done it time and again!!

8. SonicBlue03

I think it's fair to acknowledge that there is some moderation that's done based on personality conflict and doesn't meet a normal quality bar (I can only think of one or two), but by and large I think the mods do a fairly fair job of it and the thread/rant in particular was so beyond-the-pale that it likely would have come up on a Google search next to some topics that this forum and its members absolutely, 100% do not want to be associated with.

Ok, maybe not all members but most. And Joe (Link, not Stalin but I'm sure he'll appreciate the parallel) would be well within his rights to strip posting responsibilties from people that need time outs. Although I'd rather see he as the site Admin administer that kind of action after discussion w/ mods vs. mods issuing vacations.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  9. SonicBlue03

No, I mean the threads that make NWF seem less like a firearm forum and more like Stormfront.

10. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Amen brother...

11. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Stormfront? Never heard of it, is it a forum?

12. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Oh PUHHLEEEEZE.
    Get serious.
    Stormfront is a racist website.

13. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Maybe you should head over there and check out the difference for us.
    Their own description offered up in the google search was enough to dissuade me.
    YMMV, but I have read nothing over here that I could describe as what they seem to believe is reality.

14. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Cougfan2 is my favorite because when he closes a thread he does it with humor and style. He's great at clearing out the political/religious crap that always works its way into the conversation. Just remember, if you have to talk about Obama or Jesus, just throw the word 'gun' in the post a couple of times! LOL.

15. SonicBlue03

A suggestion I would encourage you to process internally: when a moderator who has been at the forefront of deactivating the thread(s) I imply is in agreement with my statement and no specific threads have been named to indicate that mod's connection with the kudos-worthy work, there might be some merit to it.

Something for you to think about.