JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

Kansas Supreme Court ruling on a Kansas law.
If you are lawfully engaging, and hurt a bystander, you can't claim self defense -- for the bystanders injury.

Always remember you are responsible for each and every round.

I recall a case from about the same time frame 2017, where a cop shot at a dog in a house next to a small child. I thought that was reckless.
One of those cases where the cops have time - who and what are in the home. Plan for the encounter. Shooting around a child?

Also, this is not some isolated or 'rare' case, shooting near to bystanders happens.

I didn't go dig out the ruling, but if the officer was acting lawfully, which they probably were, then the departments insurance should cover him.

Thank I goodness people are responsible for every round that exits a firearm. I think it's foolish to be immune to criminal prosecution for missing your mark and hitting an innocent bystander.

If only the same was put in place for LEOs…..

I recall a case from about the same time frame 2017, where a cop shot at a dog in a house next to a small child. I thought that was reckless.
From reading your link, isn't that this exact case???
If only the same was put in place for LEOs…..
And he was an LEO and is being charged in this case.

From the article:
The Kansas Supreme Court ruled in the case of a Wichita police officer whose shots at a charging dog wounded a 9-year-old girl. The justices ordered a trial in Sedgwick County District Court for former Officer Dexter Betts on a felony reckless aggravated battery charge.​

From reading your link, isn't that this exact case???

And he was an LEO and is being charged in this case.

From the article:
The Kansas Supreme Court ruled in the case of a Wichita police officer whose shots at a charging dog wounded a 9-year-old girl. The justices ordered a trial in Sedgwick County District Court for former Officer Dexter Betts on a felony reckless aggravated battery charge.​
Good. I'm glad to see that. In all honesty I didn't even read the article. I just know there are different standards for LE and civilians. Not saying I don't support LE in any way.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top